Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Right Hand Camaro on hold (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71117)

fireresq157 03-15-2010 07:54 AM

It's a shame, most of the world has not had the exposure to this car. That's why I beleive the interest is lower. I think they would sell more than enough to justify the change. GM right now just lacks the confidence to make the investment. Their playing it safe so the haters out there can't second guess them.

mlee 03-15-2010 07:57 AM

As long as I have mine...:D

GreyGhost 03-15-2010 08:01 AM

Sorry to hear this for all of the other British colonies that didn't thumb their noses at the idea of RHD years ago. This is a real bummer for them.

I will drink my next beer left handed in their honor.

2010 SSRS 03-15-2010 08:19 AM

:)

Black5thgen 03-15-2010 08:39 AM

Aussie cars never sold well here. Perhaps it will be the same with American cars there. I'm sure there was a lot of research done and the numbers didn't make sense. This comes after they announced that the 6th gen would be a global car and made lighter to appeal to the european market. My guess would be that interest just wasn't high enough for the tooling costs. The money is now being spent on the Z28!

ron10 03-15-2010 08:57 AM

:popcorn:

600hp-lpe 03-15-2010 09:15 AM

I wonder if the Z/28 is going to follow...

I don't think GM would MASS produce the Z/28, as it should have a BIG engine...
it would hurt their fuel economy #'s for other cars.

DevilKnightFalcon 03-15-2010 10:00 AM

Wow sucks for Australia....weren't they some of the first to test this thing out way back early in development?

Number 3 03-15-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstertodd (Post 1590318)
Now that is a damn shame. Gonna be a lot o pissed off people across the pond and 'down under.

Yes, but not nearly enough to justify the investment. If it were truly "a lot", then there probably would have been a good business case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSPARKS5 (Post 1590323)
I wonder what else is goinging to get cut??

This wasn't a cut, it was a proposal that didn't pass the smell test.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireresq157 (Post 1590674)
It's a shame, most of the world has not had the exposure to this car. That's why I beleive the interest is lower. I think they would sell more than enough to justify the change. GM right now just lacks the confidence to make the investment. Their playing it safe so the haters out there can't second guess them.

It's not a matter of confidence. It's simply a matter of how many can you sell. There are pretty good methods for making that determination. Although sometimes GM will take a risk on an unknown, the Camaro is a known commodity and there are pretty good ways to determine how many could be sold in a given market.

Dagabond 03-15-2010 10:55 AM

Only about 90% of the development...:facepalm:

Strip off the top Half and you have an all Australian Holden Commodore.

Amazing how much difference a day makes.....:bonk:
Quote:

"I think you can pretty much count on a right-hand drive Camaro," Lutz said. "The Camaro at some point will be factory right-hand drive, that is what we are currently looking at with a great deal of focus; be built in the plant in Canada and shipped from here in right-hand drive for right-hand drive markets. Why not?

"Most of the parts are there, all we have to do is reverse the instrument panel. All the right-hand drive bits are a given because of the fact it is a Holden architecture."

sen10l 03-15-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebird67 (Post 1590359)
We had expectations of having to pay $75k+ for a GM delivered RHD Camaro SS, which fits right into the typical V8 pricing segment.

HS! Aussies get fleeced when it comes to cars!

Tran 03-15-2010 12:31 PM

STAY ON TOPIC FOLKS!

This thread wasn't started to launch into a discussion of the merits of the metric system.

Camaro_Corvette 03-15-2010 12:38 PM

That really sucks for Australia.:thumbdown:

dstairs 03-15-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punk_rider (Post 1590492)
It's time to make changes.

Come on, japan, GB, australia, india I guess ... maybe it's now time for them to realize that the whole world drives on the other side. Maybe it's time for them to change the law, people aren't that stupid, within a year or two english peole would drive LH without even remembering they drove RH before.

Just the same with the metric system. USA is the only country (I guess) using the two systems, just go to the metric like the whole world and "basta"!

Of course you already know this I am sure, however, for those who may not, all cars started out on the Right side, the americans for some reason switched over to the Wrong side of the road. (and I am sure the right trival quiz person will find the answer to why)