Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   To Supercharge or not (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202298)

sacloud 02-13-2012 08:29 AM

To Supercharge or not

First of all, forgive me for asking something that may have been covered in the forum already. I have a new (1,000 miles) 45th anniversary 2SS. I am wanting to super/turbo charge it eventually (just something I have always wanted to do.) I have seen what Whipple and the others have to offer for the Gen5 Camaro and am excited about what is available as a bolt on. My main question is, and it may be a dumb one, but will adding this onto my Camaro void my GM warranty? If so, to what extent? I see where Whipple offers a add-on warranty to the product you buy from them. On a recent "Two Guys Garage" show on Speed TV, they installed the supercharger, headers, fuel booster, etc to a 2010 Pace Car Camaro. I'm sure that this would totally anniallate the GM warranty?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

TheHorse13 02-13-2012 08:36 AM

Yes. It would be gone. No more warranty.

Also, many people suffer failures in the drive train after such an upgrade. Search around a bit and you'll see that supercharging is only part of the process. You are going to need to sure up the drive line. On top of that, the stock motor does not have the proper components to deal with a supercharger. Forged components would be a wise upgrade.

GMollohan12 02-13-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse13 (Post 4475238)
Yes. It would be gone. No more warranty.

Also, many people suffer failures in the drive train after such an upgrade. Search around a bit and you'll see that supercharging is only part of the process. You are going to need to sure up the drive line. On top of that, the stock motor does not have the proper components to deal with a supercharger. Forged components would be a wise upgrade.

:word:

Scott@Bjorn3D 02-13-2012 08:43 AM

Yep supercharging is nice but shit breaks under boost. LS3 more than L99 since people are dropping the clutch and shocking the drive train. Wheel hop also becomes more of a problem so axles will be snapping.

I would say plan on spending at least 10-12K to get the car built up some along with the supercharger to handle the load.

sacloud 02-13-2012 08:44 AM

I suspected the answer on the warranty, willing to wait 90K miles to do it, and the advice on the drive line makes sense... as far as doing anything else, I might as well enjoy my 45th SS as long as I can until I can trade up to the ZL1?

VanquisherSS 02-13-2012 08:46 AM

A properly built SS with engine/suspension/drivetrain upgrades will wipe the floor with a ZL1, just saying.

POWERFREAK 02-13-2012 08:54 AM

your drivetrain warranty will be toast...yes. Some SC makers offer "supplemental" drivetrain warranties with lots of "fine print".

toesuf94 02-13-2012 09:02 AM

I have the E-force set up on an L99 and the car moves out pretty well. Yes, the warranty is gone from GM, but I did buy a comprehensive warranty through Edelbrock that is pretty comprehensive in what they cover. As long as a good installer put the unit on and it is tuned properly, you should be fine. Yes. There are superchargers out there that probably offer better performance out of the box, but I feel pretty good about my cars ability to handle the relatively 'mild' amount of pressure that the E-force puts on the car without further modding driveline. I do want to do the LS3 conversion to get rid of the L99 lifters that are prone to failure on SC engines.

sacloud 02-13-2012 09:09 AM

That sounds promising.. I am not going to race it, but want that something extra as far as HP and not have to build a race car to do it. I'm loving the fact that even now, I have 425 horses and still get 25 MPg on the highway. Something that was unheard of when I was in my early twenties. Back then, you had to lay down megabucks to even crack 300 HP and then, you had single digit mpg.

toesuf94 02-13-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacloud (Post 4475368)
That sounds promising.. I am not going to race it, but want that something extra as far as HP and not have to build a race car to do it. I'm loving the fact that even now, I have 425 horses and still get 25 MPg on the highway. Something that was unheard of when I was in my early twenties. Back then, you had to lay down megabucks to even crack 300 HP and then, you had single digit mpg.

I can run my dad's '11 Grand Sport with my supercharged L99..plus I love how the e-force looks under the hood. (Hell, who am I kidding - I love the looks of ANY of the superchargers! :D) The nice thing about the coil covers on the E-force is that they are cast aluminum, not plastic. Impressive construction on the kit. And they dress up well!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=72305

sasquash1984 02-13-2012 10:08 AM

Turbo, you don't lose as much power as going through a blower just cost twice as much

sacloud 02-13-2012 01:57 PM

Lots of great info, I appreciate it. I think I am going to lean towards the Edlebrock E-Force and really read the fine print on the warranty and chat with my SM about it. I think I will probably outfit with a set of long tubes for it to breathe all the way through. Like I said before, I don't really want a racecar, just something to set my SS apart and also not be intimidated by a 5.0 that pulls up without a snake logo.

bhall82 02-13-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanquisherSS (Post 4475271)
A properly built SS with engine/suspension/drivetrain upgrades will wipe the floor with a ZL1, just saying.

:word: and still have pocket change left :thumbsup:

sacloud 02-13-2012 02:07 PM

:thumbup: