Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   4th Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Engine ticking (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15118)

Justin 03-09-2009 06:48 PM

Engine ticking

Alright, I'm pretty baffled on this one. I wouldn't say my knowledge of cars is great, but it's not terrible either. I've got an '02 Camaro with the 3.8 and the 5 speed.

When I turn the car on, sometimes, and only sometimes (more frequently as of late), there is a loud ticking sound that increases in frequency with the revs of the engine, and a fairly noticeable loss of power (especially noticeable from 3.5k revs and up). As soon as the engine gets up to around 210 degrees, it stops and the power comes back, and the car runs beautifully.

My first thought was maybe something with the intake and it pulling in from the exhaust when warming up. At first the problem only happened when it was damp and cool, but it happened again today, and it was beautiful out. I'm kinda puzzled.

As far as codes: the other day my check engine light came on and blinked evenly at about a walking pace. Today it came on after about 10 minutes or so, and stayed on until the car got to temp.

Ideas?

pag1164 03-09-2009 06:59 PM

You might have already thought of this, but have you checked your oil?
It sounds as if you could be either low on oil or have dirty oil.
I'd get it to a mechanic as soon as possible to have it checked. Don't mess with that check engine light when it's accompanied by a ticking sound and loss of power.

CamaroSpike23 03-09-2009 07:51 PM

the ticking is more than likely a lack of oil to your rockers. since once the motor warms up, it goes away. when was the last time you changed your oil? what weight oil are you using? what brand? and what filter?

as for the lack of power and the SES light till the car warms up... I want to say that it sounds like an oxygen sensor failing. more than likely the o2 sensor is not warming up as fast as it should and is triggering the code.

fireresq157 03-09-2009 08:49 PM

It may be the Oil, but there is a warning light for low Oil if thats not comming on it may be something else like a craked sparked plug wire or the boot has become loose . Get a code reader if it says missfire that may be posibility and it may narrow the wire down for you. Autozone used to lend you their code reader if you asked.

CamaroSpike23 03-09-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireresq157 (Post 329571)
It may be the Oil, but there is a warning light for low Oil if thats not comming on it may be something else like a craked sparked plug wire or the boot has become loose . Get a code reader if it says missfire that may be posibility and it may narrow the wire down for you. Autozone used to lend you their code reader if you asked.

if the oil is low... but if it is contaminated or the oil passages are plugged, the oil level sensor wont tell you that.

craigd853 03-09-2009 09:48 PM

What's wrong with everyone? He said there is a check engine light on, the first thing you do is find out what this is and go from there. This could most likely be the main problem, you'll never know unless you find out first.

fireresq157 03-11-2009 04:39 PM

I said get the engine scaned

craigd853 03-11-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireresq157 (Post 332120)
I said get the engine scaned

Sorry about that, must have had one to many that night.:sm0:

Camaro_Corvette 03-11-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigd853 (Post 332429)
Sorry about that, must have had one to many that night.:sm0:

LOL, drunk post!:sm0:

Hows it going Justin?

fireresq157 03-11-2009 10:52 PM

Thats ok, Keyboards and alcohol don't mix.

radz28 03-12-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 329457)
the ticking is more than likely a lack of oil to your rockers. since once the motor warms up, it goes away. when was the last time you changed your oil? what weight oil are you using? what brand? and what filter?

as for the lack of power and the SES light till the car warms up... I want to say that it sounds like an oxygen sensor failing. more than likely the o2 sensor is not warming up as fast as it should and is triggering the code.

Maybe it's time for an engine flush. We used this stuff at the dealership all the time but I don't know if it ever helped anything. I think we used BG brand. Perhaps looking at some Lucas engine treatment or Seafoam is worthwhile too. I've used seafoam inside and out of the engine and it's always done me right.

Another idea is could it be the fuel injectors? Those babies will tick pretty good; I imagine they could contribute to driveability problems too. Seafoam can work here too as they claim it cleans the top-end of the engine too, when you pour it into the gas tank.

Maybe check your plug wires too. I've hear ticking problems with my LT1 after routing the wires too close to my headers and found a burnt wire; when I replaced it, the ticking was gone.

Like 'Spike said - 02 sensors are heated and will throw a code if the computer detects they are getting lazy and not up to the correct temperature fast enough. My 02s would get a little crazy sometimes with my LTs so my tuner tuned them out.

Getting the codes scanned and determining what the codes mean should be a high priority though. You should be able to referrence a MIL chart/diagram to narrow down the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireresq157 (Post 332766)
Thats ok, Keyboards and alcohol don't mix.

:drinking: That's when I do my best work :D:drool:

Justin 03-13-2009 10:42 PM

Some more details: The tapping stops at a VERY specific 210 degrees. Literally, within 10 seconds of the temperature dial hitting 210 it goes from full on tapping to normal, and ALWAYS at 210.

As far as the oil change: it was seafoamed on the last batch of oil, then I put full synthetic in (moved from synthetic blend, and before that standard). I'm not sure of the brand, but it was done by Meineke if that helps.

As far as getting a code reader, I'm at school in the middle of nowhere and I wouldn't really know the first place to find one or what the hell to do with it.

Edit: Only put the seafoam in the crankcase.

CamaroSpike23 03-13-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 336412)
Some more details: The tapping stops at a VERY specific 210 degrees. Literally, within 10 seconds of the temperature dial hitting 210 it goes from full on tapping to normal, and ALWAYS at 210.

As far as the oil change: it was seafoamed on the last batch of oil, then I put full synthetic in (moved from synthetic blend, and before that standard). I'm not sure of the brand, but it was done by Meineke if that helps.

As far as getting a code reader, I'm at school in the middle of nowhere and I wouldn't really know the first place to find one or what the hell to do with it.

Edit: Only put the seafoam in the crankcase.

and you only did the half can right? how many miles did you run with it before getting it changed? can you contact the Meineke and ask them what kind/weight of oil they used? also what kind of filter?

Justin 03-14-2009 11:18 AM

Little bit less than half of the can, about 100-150 miles.

I'll give them a call later.