Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Do you think that the car needs a separate Clutch Fluid reservoir (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34085)

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-25-2009 09:27 AM

I did at 4500 mi and was so mad, That i did the redesign and add the new reservoir yesterday, And now i an going to L.V. to get parts for my new tail lights, This will be the test drive on the new reservoir.

bono83 07-25-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alrox (Post 720989)
Read this

Clutch dust does get into the clutch fluid system in Corvettes and I see no reason why it won't happen on the same type of system in the Camaro. You will end up with clutch dust in your brake fluid if this system is like the Corvette's. This is a bad design.

Look for Chevy to change this soon because it appears to be a cost cutting measure.

This is fantastic information. I never would have believed that the clutch dust would get into the fluid, but this video is proof positive. After seeing this, I'm going to watch the combined reservoir like a hawk. The second I see any signs of clutch dust contamination, I'm going to get the separate reservoir for the clutch. It's bad enough to miss a shift, but I don't want my brakes failing because of clutch dust. Thanks very much for the info. Man this website is great! Learn something new every day.:thumbsup:

Doc 07-25-2009 10:02 AM

How much fluid does the clutch require? Is that reservoir big enough?

Vash 07-25-2009 10:03 AM

Well it's good info, the vette info, and I would eat the crow plate. But still want to see proof that this system is getting contaminated. What does the service schedule say for refreshing the brake fluid?

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-25-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 721311)

I have gone to L.V. to go get parts for my next thing to do on the car, I did not look at how much fluid does the clutch requires, This is from a GTO that had a LS2 in it so that i think is good for the LS3. ( P.S. it looks like this is fine drove the car 270 mi in 105 temp and no problems )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 721313)
Well it's good info, the vette info, and I would eat the crow plate. But still want to see proof that this system is getting contaminated. What does the service schedule say for refreshing the brake fluid?

Do you have your car at this time? and do you daily drive it, If you do you will see the color go from gold to brown in no time.

Vash 07-25-2009 04:41 PM

Well I wound not cause I am Mr Automatic anyways. :)

And won't have one for a couple years.

two_wheel_mayhem 07-25-2009 04:57 PM

Yes I do, clutch fluid always gets dirtier faster.

Change it when it gets dirty.

Google brake fluid though and educate yourself.

DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible and are both hydroscopic, which means it is able to absorb moisture. Some of the discoloration is water in the fluid which it is designed to change to a darker color the more moisture it absorbs.

DOT 3, and DOT 4 Brake fluid will just turn dark from sitting around with the cap off, thats why the instructions always tell you to add only fluid from a sealed container, preferrably new stuff. So don't go to the parts store and buy the big bottle to just top off your system.

It absorbs moisture from the air, and condensation from heat.

I still think they should have seperate reservoirs as a failure on one system could cause both brakes and clutch to fail.

Vash 07-25-2009 05:10 PM

The fluid would need a more scientific analysis. As well as long term testing of the system as a total. Right now saying it's gonna fail early is just an assumption based on what appears to be dirty fluid. When it could be a non issue if the maint schedule is followed. That's why I asked what the interval is?

I trust the engineers that it's good for the job. When it actually fails or a scientific fluid test can show some problem then there is a basis for a mechanical issue outside normal maint.

Crowley 07-25-2009 06:15 PM

They should have separated them and had different reservoirs. My guess is it is cost cutting.

Crowley

69Bird 07-25-2009 06:40 PM

Less parts means less to break. Now saying that I dont have mine yet. When I do maybe my opinion will change but I like to think it was thought out buy guys smarter than me.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-25-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 721311)

The new one takes 1 1/2 oz

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Bird (Post 722522)
Less parts means less to break. Now saying that I dont have mine yet. When I do maybe my opinion will change but I like to think it was thought out buy guys smarter than me.

that is right, But the only thing that can break is a plastic reservoir, that is all i did.

bbardo 07-26-2009 10:07 AM

2SSRS, Is this Holden part available in the US from Chevrolet dealers ?
Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 721033)

#1 new reservoir from a GTO a Holden part # 92065790 list $19.33 but can get for $15.00

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-26-2009 11:25 AM

In a word Yes that is how i got it.

LDGn63 07-28-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbardo (Post 720923)
I would like to see the aftermarket offer this option.
Clutch dust can't be a good thing for the ABS to deal with IMO

+1000