Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Brakes & Rotors (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286997)

smarbrit 04-03-2013 04:38 PM

Brakes & Rotors

I just got the call from my dealer that they will be machining my rotors and replacing some parts under warranty. Parts are coming out of the US so will be another week or so before repairs are done.

I did ask about replacing the rotors but was told GM won't replace them.

Apparently GM will do this 1 time only up to 39,000 kms, if it happens again, I get to replace the rotors. Fair enough as it is related to driving habits.....They also suggested if I do brake hard and have to stop for a period (like at a light), use the ebrake. Not trying to be jerky or anything, they were just offering suggestions.

OUR72GTO 04-03-2013 05:40 PM

Once they turn those rotors time is not your friend.:popcorn:

slededorilllia 04-03-2013 06:13 PM

so, what is the deal with the recall or service bulletin on the squeaking brakes.....just got the car out and noticed the brakes seem to squeal even after driving it for a bit.....the pads still have lots of meat on em too.....any help thanks...

smarbrit 04-03-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUR72GTO (Post 6377965)
Once they turn those rotors time is not your friend.:popcorn:

Explain??:noidea:

NFRNOSS 04-03-2013 07:05 PM

I've had my car in for squeaky breaks several times. They all tell me the same thing.

These are performance brakes, and they glaze up, and will then squeak at light breaking...

Merc 04-03-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarbrit (Post 6377733)
I just got the call from my dealer that they will be machining my rotors and replacing some parts under warranty. Parts are coming out of the US so will be another week or so before repairs are done.

I did ask about replacing the rotors but was told GM won't replace them.

Apparently GM will do this 1 time only up to 39,000 kms, if it happens again, I get to replace the rotors. Fair enough as it is related to driving habits.....They also suggested if I do brake hard and have to stop for a period (like at a light), use the ebrake. Not trying to be jerky or anything, they were just offering suggestions.

I fail to see why using your e-brake at a light would save your brakes. BTW it's now called a parking assist brake.:idiot:

:thumb:

CHMSC 04-03-2013 07:08 PM

The breaks squeak period lol don't think I know a camaro owner that has a quiet car.

GM will replace the rotors but only after they turn them first. BS I think but h well.

Merc 04-03-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRNOSS (Post 6378331)
I've had my car in for squeaky breaks several times. They all tell me the same thing.

These are performance brakes, and they glaze up, and will then squeak at light breaking...

Correct. You should try Hawk HP Plus pads, great on the road course suck on the street.

NFRNOSS 04-03-2013 08:10 PM

Yeah, I'll probably change to hawks when I need new break pads...

Merc 04-03-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRNOSS (Post 6378660)
Yeah, I'll probably change to hawks when I need new break pads...

This time when I did the DBA rotor change I bought Hawk HP's for the street and HP Plus for the road course. So far the HP's are quiet.

smarbrit 04-03-2013 08:43 PM

I have 17,500 kms on my car, not too keen about replacing the brakes already.

Mine squeak when cold, doesn't bother me....

Merc 04-03-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarbrit (Post 6378798)
I have 17,500 kms on my car, not too keen about replacing the brakes already.

Mine squeak when cold, doesn't bother me....

I did the rotor up-grade cause I like track days on the road course and I beat the hell out of the stock rotors.

smarbrit 04-03-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc (Post 6378908)
I beat the hell out of the stock rotors.

Apparently I do too....:smiling1: no tracks for me tho

Cap'n Pete 04-03-2013 10:24 PM

Not sure about the specific issue(s) with the squeaky brake issue on these, but just a couple opinions on brakes in general:

- I had the original set of rotors from my '02 turned after ~60k (they had a pretty good warp in them), and continued to run them for SEVERAL track days (I mean ... A LOT of track days) and aside from developing the typical "spider cracking" (faint, surface cracking) they held up for a long time afterwards.

- any "performance" pad compound will squeak under typical street use. I've had good luck running ceramic pads for street use ... they do "work" on the track, but just don't have the same level of bite as typical pads, esp. track compounds. So unless you plan on tracking your car? (assuming most people are concerned about street driving) then I'd suggest trying a ceramic pad compound ......... I highly, highly doubt that the problem is with the rotors!?!?!