Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Aftermarket Head Unit Harness? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303031)

Cmlloveless 06-20-2013 01:58 PM

Aftermarket Head Unit Harness?

Does anyone make aftermarket head unit harness's for our cars? I am talking about a harness that will connect the head unit to the existing wiring in the car so that you dont have to splice the existing harness. I know I was able to buy one for my previous vehicles. I am installing a Pioneer head unit and would like to try and avoid splicing the factory harness.

Inferno LSX 06-20-2013 02:01 PM

What install dash kit you using? I think the Scosche kit has the harness with it. Not sure about the Metra.

Cmlloveless 06-20-2013 02:03 PM

I am going to make my own dash kit from fiberglass. People are having to many issues with the aftermarket kits available right now. Plus I like the factory knobs! I want the look like the MyLink set up, just dont want the MyLink anymore.

darkrider01 06-20-2013 02:16 PM

It's not as simple as just wiring in a new head unit. The factory radio (and the aftermarket kits) also control some of the basic functions of the car (like headlight turn-off delay, automatic locking, etc.). Just wiring in a new head unit will not allow you to retain those functions. Also, just as a note, the factory headunit is also responsible for generating the warning chimes and turn signal clicking sounds.

Cmlloveless 06-20-2013 02:26 PM

That is why I am looking for a wiring harness that will allow me to plug and play. I am retaining the factory HVAC set up. I am only replacing the actual factory head unit.

Cmlloveless 06-20-2013 02:33 PM

Darkrider - I see you have a scosche kit... Are you having any issues with it? The only reason I am not buying it is that people are having problems with it not working properly.

Mikes SS 06-20-2013 02:35 PM

Well keep us posted and put up some progress pics!! I got my harness from scosche they have it available separately

Cmlloveless 06-20-2013 02:36 PM

You bought it directly from them?

Inferno LSX 06-20-2013 03:10 PM

I haven't had any problems with my Scosche kit. It's been in my car over a year. Using the Pioneer AVIC-140BT

Cmlloveless 06-20-2013 03:41 PM

Where did you get your scosche kit from? No one seems to have them available.

Caddyroger 06-20-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmlloveless (Post 6694189)
That is why I am looking for a wiring harness that will allow me to plug and play. I am retaining the factory HVAC set up. I am only replacing the actual factory head unit.

You will need the electronics for the chimes turn signal chimes to work. The harness does not have the electronics. If it was that simple some one would have made one all ready. I was thinking about that my self but the electronics stopped me.

Inferno LSX 06-20-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmlloveless (Post 6694493)
Where did you get your scosche kit from? No one seems to have them available.

Damn it I kinda forgot. Was a site vendor. Either Maryland Speed or Apex.

Cmlloveless 06-20-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddyroger (Post 6694495)
You will need the electronics for the chimes turn signal chimes to work. The harness does not have the electronics. If it was that simple some one would have made one all ready. I was thinking about that my self but the electronics stopped me.

Why did GM make the wireing so difficult. It really does not need to be this crazy! There are many cars out there that are simple to swap out aftermarket head units in without any problems at all...

Caddyroger 06-20-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmlloveless (Post 6694822)
Why did GM make the wireing so difficult. It really does not need to be this crazy! There are many cars out there that are simple to swap out aftermarket head units in without any problems at all...

Labor, costs, space and weight could one reason.