Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   *** UPDATED *** Strange 9" Center Section with LOUD Gear Whine !! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213666)

Camaro21 04-02-2012 11:23 AM

*** UPDATED *** Strange 9" Center Section with LOUD Gear Whine !!

UPDATE on post #60 HERE:

Has anyone else had an issue with the Strange Gears from their DSS 9" Kit? I installed a week ago Friday and from the moment I test drove my car. There is an Unbelievable loud whining noise from the rear gears that happens at ALL SPEEDS. The noise seems to lighten up on Deceleration.

I am wondering if anyone else has had the same issue? I PM'd Frank with no response yet.

flem 04-02-2012 11:35 AM

strange gear wine dss rear

do a search member ,becustom... he is a friend of mine had same issuse as you.. did it twice.. he was so dissipointed with strange..

McBeevee 04-02-2012 11:39 AM

That sure doesn't sound right. I know mine was quiet till I took it to the track last weekend. After 6 passes, it is now making a noticeable amount of noise. I figured it was my problem now that I've put a few miles on it and taken it down the track. Hopefully Strange will take care of it for you.

Camaro21 04-02-2012 12:48 PM

I am going to a local gear shop to see what they can do with it !! I take it in this Friday for them to hear the noise and then they will schedule time for me to take it in and fix it after that. I will post up their findings and solution once it has been done !!

1stGM 04-02-2012 01:07 PM

It seems as though the Strange built centers are about 50/50 on being set up correctly.... I have about 550 miles on mine and it just about as quiet as the stock diff.... I will be changing the fluid here this week now that it is broken in...

Driveshaftshop 04-02-2012 02:49 PM

We had recently changed to a local builder called Spraker racing due to this problem, im not quite sure its the builder or the gears.

Camaro21 04-02-2012 02:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop (Post 4744156)
We had recently changed to a local builder called Spraker racing due to this problem, im not quite sure its the builder or the gears.

The thirdmember was painted ORANGE if that tells you anything. I will let you know when I get it looked at and let you know what they find, maybe saving someone else the heartache that I am having with these gears !!

Driveshaftshop 04-02-2012 03:45 PM

Thats a Spraker diff, ill contact them. i have had some very good luck with them and the reason i had switched to them from Strange. ill send you a PM

Camaro21 04-02-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop (Post 4744490)
Thats a Spraker diff, ill contact them. i have had some very good luck with them and the reason i had switched to them from Strange. ill send you a PM

Thanks !!

HufferSS 04-02-2012 04:22 PM

My Strange differential was like that out of the box too...I think I actually posted a YOUTUBE video of it as people kept telling me that 9" gears were naturally noisy...which is a load of crap. This is a very shrill, high pitched whine, not normal gear noise....I clearly know the difference. Once everyone heard the video they stopped that other nonsense quickly.

Vengeance got with Frank and Strange and they took care of it...the 2nd set sounds almost OE quiet and has been perfect ever since.

Camaro21 04-02-2012 04:49 PM

Frank contacted me and is working on getting me replacement gears.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

McBeevee 04-02-2012 04:52 PM

Damn, I guess I should have gone with a Moser unit. Glad Franks taking care of you Camaro21

shines 04-02-2012 08:09 PM

Had the same problem with my DSS 9" kit, although it's a Strange problem, DSS took it back and refunded 100% of my money. Great company!

Subsequently I bought the LPE 9.5" differential and it's quiet but blowing oil out the vent tube :-O

Hendrix-Engineering 04-02-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HufferSS (Post 4744684)
My Strange differential was like that out of the box too...I think I actually posted a YOUTUBE video of it as people kept telling me that 9" gears were naturally noisy...which is a load of crap. This is a very shrill, high pitched whine, not normal gear noise....I clearly know the difference. Once everyone heard the video they stopped that other nonsense quickly.

Vengeance got with Frank and Strange and they took care of it...the 2nd set sounds almost OE quiet and has been perfect ever since.

Ill never forget the look of relief on your face when i took you for a ride in my 9 inch setup lol,yes diffently not a DSS issue but Frank gets to the bottom of it