Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MIRROR - Plea for help. (updated with solution) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612)

chopss 05-28-2009 11:31 AM

tag thanks for the update, i haven't moved the mirror up. what vin # would this shorter mirror be shipped from factory.
thanks
joey

BLUEMARO 05-28-2009 11:43 AM

As time goes on we'll see these "I see no problem" members change their mind. Especially after they have a few t-bones themselves. I concur, the mirror is too large for the application. It is quite easy to miss an event because the mirror blocks a large part of the view. Out the back is not a concern, every car I've had of this nature has poor rearward visibility. Thankfully I usually drive forward. If there is a smaller mirror I'd love to have it

LDGn63 05-28-2009 11:54 AM

OK.

I just went out at lunch and the top of my mirror was touching the plastic surrounding the onstar wires. I removed the plastic but the mirror wont go up any higher because of the swivelball/tube construction. (a limit that I might remedy with a dremel)
My seat is ALL the way down, the mirror is ALL the way up but blocks my line of sight.

I'll check for shorter mirrors this weekend and document any mods that I do to help those of you that need it.

Thanks all for your input and consideration to the matter.

Can anyone tell me if all of the onstar mirrors use the same plug? (it would make sense)
is the mic in the mirror?
Anybody have a wiring diagram for onstar? Hopefully the local dealer will have these but ya never know!

LSP2010 05-28-2009 11:57 AM

:yikes::facepalm:

rolnslo 05-28-2009 12:01 PM

Is it really the mirror that is causing your blind spot or is it the blacked out section of the windshield behind it?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1242162379

You could also try removing the plastic wire cover between the headliner and the mirror and then relocating the metal mounting plate for the mirror higher up on the windshield.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1242959695

Matt'sSS 05-28-2009 12:09 PM

Speaking as someone who is 6'6", and had to order my car without a sunroof so I didn't have to drive laying down to avoid constantly rubbing my head... The visibility with the mirror was concerning in both of the cars I sat in. Something will have to be done for the car to be safe, so hopefully GM can help us find a better solution.

In my other sports cars (Corvette included) I -always- bend the mirror as far up as possible, either the ball joints wont go any further, or it hits something above it.

In the Camaro the plastic wire cover above the mirror severely hinders this (see picts below). If GM could make a much thinner wire cover that may do the trick, otherwise I may be removing it completely (the plastic cover) to see if that does the trick.

IMHO, having on-star to use is great for emergencies, but not if it's attached to the mirror that is so big & in the middle of the windshield that it actually causes the accident...

From your other thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 509039)

Matt'sSS 05-28-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolnslo (Post 526957)
Is it really the mirror that is causing your blind spot or is it the blacked out section of the windshield behind it?

You could also try removing the plastic wire cover between the headliner and the mirror and then relocating the metal mounting plate for the mirror higher up on the windshield.

It's the mirror. The blacked out section looks big, but it's angled with the windshield & further away from your face. When you look at it (or at least when I look at it from my seating position) you see the mirror, no black under it, just behind it.

Speedfreak 05-28-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in T.O. (Post 526594)
Just remove the mirror. "What's behind you is not important"

:word: Probably just a mustang anyway:sm0:

AGM76 05-28-2009 12:26 PM

got some x and y dimensions on the mirror frame?

GTAwheelman 05-28-2009 12:30 PM

at first i was confused on how this could be a problem. then i remembered i had this problem with my 3rd gen once. now i lean back more.

linkwpc 05-28-2009 12:36 PM

How about tilting the seat back a little. What would you see?

snsdiver72 05-28-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 526437)
i mean, the thing physically LOOKS HUGE (IMHO) but I wouldnt care so much if I could see thru it. :D

Well then it wouldnt be a mirror unless it was mounted between walls one side for the bad guy and the other for the cops looking at the bad guy

rusty73 05-28-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 526214)
WTF are you talking about. You are not making anysense. How would the rearview mirror make you run into a car.

I agree with Scott.

Scott, we'll be keeping your daughter and your family in our prayers.

LDGn63 05-28-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGM76 (Post 527035)
got some x and y dimensions on the mirror frame?

3 5/8" top to bottom
9"ish side to side