Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MIRROR - Plea for help. (updated with solution) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612)

LDGn63 05-28-2009 08:00 AM

MIRROR - Plea for help. (updated with solution)

5 Attachment(s)
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE 5/29 :thumbsup:
PIX AT BOTTOM (it almost looks like it was meant to be this way)
rolnslo, THANKS! i owe you one :drinking:

Thanks so much for the re-suggestion to flip the mirror… when I had looked at it before it appeared to be a no gain but after removing the plastic wiring cover AND unhooking the wire connector from the windshield and moving it to one side, I was able to flip the mirror and tuck the onstar buttons up behind the headliner!
I just could not see the forest for the mirror (trees). I started this thread in hopes of help and I got it! (after several bruises) Thanks!

I'm estimating that this gives another inch of visibility! (which is a big percentage)
I will have pix posted tonight (need a flash).
I would still like to see a thinner mirror but this is a great improvement while I hunt!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
another update: i was wrong it only gives you 7/8" more.
when measuring from the console (from the same exact spot on the console both times) and with no cameras involved the "flipped" mirror gives me 7/8" more viewing pleasure (vertically).
that is an 8.75% improvement measured vertically (i understand that nobody actually looks at a right angle to the windshield but it was the only way to measure without bias)

is this horse dead yet.... or shall we beat it some more?

thanks again to all that provided positive input.

everyone else, thanks for the laughs!

__________________________________________________ ___________
Mods, please do not merge this for it is a sincere plea that needs to stand on its own.

I need a solution to this 2SS REARVIEW MIRROR HAZARD.

edit: sorry if i wasnt clear earlier, i was a little jazzed...

MIRROR = BLIND SPOT when moving forward.

Just when I thought I had gotten used to it, I ALMOST T-boned a Prius this morning.
I would have already yanked it out of the car but I am not sure what that will do to onstar, bluetooth, and whatever other sensors may be hiding in it.

Pulled up to STOP, checked right, checked left, checked right again as I started easing into the intersection then BAM! There it was.
That darn Prius just popped out from behind that mirror like the Starship Enterprise coming out of warp… scared the KR@P outta me!

I'm goin to a dealer this weekend to try and play mix-n-match but if someone has a real solution or even a serious idea please help.

GM, if you are listening, please address this issue for ALL Camaros… now. Hey, I said Please!

Scott@Bjorn3D 05-28-2009 08:05 AM

WTF are you talking about. You are not making anysense. How would the rearview mirror make you run into a car.

Hylton 05-28-2009 08:07 AM

Wow! :suicide:

camarossrs2150 05-28-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 526205)
Mods, please do not merge this for it is a sincere plea that needs to stand on its own.

I need a solution to this 2SS REARVIEW MIRROR HAZARD.

Just when I thought I had gotten used to it, I ALMOST T-boned a Prius this morning.
I would have already yanked it out of the car but I am not sure what that will do to onstar, bluetooth, and whatever other sensors may be hiding in it.

Pulled up to STOP, checked right, checked left, checked right again as I started easing into the intersection then BAM! There it was.
That darn Prius just popped out from behind that mirror like the Starship Enterprise coming out of warp… scared the KR@P outta me!

I'm goin to a dealer this weekend to try and play mix-n-match but if someone has a real solution or even a serious idea please help.

GM, if you are listening, please address this issue for ALL Camaros… now. Hey, I said Please!

try using side view mirrors they work pretty good i heard

IROCanSS 05-28-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 526214)
WTF are you talking about. You are not making anysense. How would the rearview mirror make you run into a car.

:iono: I think he is saying he wants to replace his mirror with a different one but is concerned about losing the onstar??

I take it as he is not happy about the blind spot. Its the price you pay for driving this car. Try driving a corvette. In the mirror you see into the trunk, the entire top of the car and a dental floss line that is out the back window. Not to mention the side view blind spots. This aint your mommas caddy here, you have to pay closer attention and deal with the slightly obstructed view.

GMtothecore 05-28-2009 08:10 AM

that sucks....I've not sat in one yet, so I can not concur with this.

LadiesMan217 05-28-2009 08:11 AM

He means that that rear view mirror is too large and causes a major blindspot. The Prius was directly behind the mirror (in his line of sight).

LadiesMan217 05-28-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 (Post 526226)

He's not talking about backing up.

Looking out the windshield, the rear view mirror caused a blindspot.

N6504X 05-28-2009 08:14 AM

How tall are you? It sounds like you need to lower your seat. Wait, do they lower? Yes, I think so, it's a six way power seat. Hmmm....

Dr Jkel 05-28-2009 08:15 AM

Same thing in the Hummer H-3, just got to be more careful

jtzako 05-28-2009 08:20 AM

Are you sitting with your head touching the roof? I dont see how the mirror could cause a blind spot like that. Maybe make it harder to see something higher up like stoplights or signs, but surely not a vehicle.

wyocamaro 05-28-2009 08:20 AM

I don't see thte issue driving mine. At 6'2" and a sunroof, I am maxed out at top, and it seems ok. remeber and spend more time.

JDBeck23 05-28-2009 08:27 AM

I agree that the mirror is a little on the large side. But I think you need to adjust your seat/driving style to this car. The way they designed it, the exterior styling took a huge priority over practicality... as it should, it's a muscle car!

Not a bad idea to swing by the dealer to see if you can find a smaller onstar mirror. Im sure some GM cars have smaller mirrors. Let us know what you find out, it may be a common modification if we can find a plug and play replacement straight from GM.

McGruff 05-28-2009 08:27 AM

You obviously need to adjust your seat...you shouldn't be at direct eye level with your rear view mirror.

LDGn63 05-28-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 526214)

"That darn Prius just popped out from behind that mirror like the Starship Enterprise coming out of warp…"

MIRROR = BLIND SPOT

LDGn63 05-28-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 526218)
Wow! :suicide:

dude, i usually love your posts and input but i dont get this sarcasm...

this is a REAL safety isuue... not some rant about freakin ABL! (or skip shift)

LDGn63 05-28-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 (Post 526226)

why would i use side view mirrors at a STOP sign? :readthethread:

Nezacant 05-28-2009 08:57 AM

...this is the strangest complaint I've heard about the camaro. I've sat in one and didn't feel as if the rear view mirror is so large that would cause me to hit another car. Anyone else feel as if there is a huge blind spot because of the rear view mirror?

LDGn63 05-28-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhaus76 (Post 526229)
Its the price you pay for driving this car.

thanks for the positive translation. :)

but i must disagree with this part... its just poor design.

Hey, everybody messes up ( i almost hit another car today).
I'm just asking for a solution... and for GM to fix future cars.

LDGn63 05-28-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGruff (Post 526271)
You obviously need to adjust your seat...you shouldn't be at direct eye level with your rear view mirror.

i guess sometimes it is best to start with the obvious :laugh: but i done done that.

YES, my seat is 100% down AND leaned back to get me as low as possible. and the mirror is pushed up 100% as high as it will go (without removing stuff, which I will do tonight)

please see posts and pix here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=mirror

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=mirror

Hylton 05-28-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 526333)
dude, i usually love your posts and input but i dont get this sarcasm...

this is a REAL safety isuue... not some rant about freakin ABL! (or skip shift)

Just find an Onstar mirror out of a Cobalt.

LDGn63 05-28-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyocamaro (Post 526257)
I don't see thte issue driving mine. At 6'2" and a sunroof, I am maxed out at top, and it seems ok. remeber and spend more time.

i'm happy for you. but mine sux or i wouldnt b!tch.... that dang ABL stuff drove me CRAZY! :facepalm:

i just need help. seriously! (maybe mentally too)

i took some more pix seated in the car with the camera to my eye but i cant post till tonight.

Thanks all!

NightmareSS 05-28-2009 09:22 AM

dont got my car yet but i see your point...im only 5'10 so hopefully not a big issue for me...makes me think bout my moms vehicles...she always has so much crap hanging from the mirror im always telling her that i cant see shit whenever i drive her car lol

2010SLVRBULIT 05-28-2009 09:23 AM

That's why you have Brembo Brakes..was the Prius 'cloaked'?

I don't think GM will resolve this. It's just one of many blindspots you get with this car..you just have to be extra cautious now until you are used to it...

LDGn63 05-28-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nezacant (Post 526338)
...this is the strangest complaint I've heard about the camaro. I've sat in one and didn't feel as if the rear view mirror is so large that would cause me to hit another car. Anyone else feel as if there is a huge blind spot because of the rear view mirror?

While i WILL admit that I am strange... :D there are some others that agree about the mirror problem. see the links that i just posted. (started by me but agreed by others)
I started this thead seperately as a plea for REAL help and not a gripe.

believe me, when you just set in this car for the first few times you dont notice it because EVERYTHING else is so AWESOME... but drive it thru a few 4 way stops and you will see what i mean.

keep in mind that i am 6'2" (but there are others 6'2" that dont have a problem)

i mean, the thing physically LOOKS HUGE (IMHO) but I wouldnt care so much if I could see thru it. :D

rolnslo 05-28-2009 09:29 AM

Go search on Google and see what the owners of the Saturn Sky did about this. It is a common complaint from people that aren't used to driving in cars with short windshields.

I've owned a few '55 and '56 Chevys over the years and the windshield is about the same overall vertical height as the Camaro's windshield. You'll just have to get used to actually moving your head to see around the rearview mirror. This isn't a truck so you'll have to make an active effort to see things rather than just assuming that you can sit passively in one position and be able to see everything around you.

By the way, it's even harder to see around when you have fuzzy dice hanging there too. :D

LDGn63 05-28-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT (Post 526422)
That's why you have Brembo Brakes..was the Prius 'cloaked'?

I don't think GM will resolve this. It's just one of many blindspots you get with this car..you just have to be extra cautious now until you are used to it...

:laugh: 'cloaked' that was awesome!
thanks for the levity!

after 1500 miles, i THOUGHT that i was used to it. :confused0068:

LDGn63 05-28-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolnslo (Post 526439)
Go search on Google and see what the owners of the Saturn Sky did about this. It is a common complaint from people that aren't used to driving in cars with short windshields.

I've owned a few '55 and '56 Chevys over the years and the windshield is about the same overall vertical height as the Camaro's windshield. You'll just have to get used to actually moving your head to see around the rearview mirror. This isn't a truck so you'll have to make an active effort to see things rather than just assuming that you can sit passively in one position and be able to see everything around you.

By the way, it's even harder to see around when you have fuzzy dice hanging there too. :D

thanks for the idea!

yeah, i'm REALLY just pissed that i cant have the mirror ball and BEE-OTCH air freshener! :laugh:

BTW, i've got a '52 chevy WITH a visor... but the mirror doesnt eclipse 1/2 of the windshield! :confused0068:

if it didnt have all the onstar gizmo stuff it would already be changed for something realistic.

i mean honestly, the size of this mirror is a joke... but this is not my rant thread...

SScattergunSS 05-28-2009 10:03 AM

LDGn63, I'll stand right with you on this and take whatever heat gets thrown our way. While my Camaro hasn't come yet, I know what you're talking about with relation to that rear view mirror. That was the VERY first thing I noticed when I sat in one. There has to be some way to get that mirror up higher and out of the way, and maybe streamline it as well? Truthfully, I personally don't care if I lose Onstar, but I DO want to be able to see out of the windshield without having to constantly duck down under the mirror to find out what's out there at my right front attitude!

mbauer14085RS/SS2010 05-28-2009 10:03 AM

i have to agree with this. i sat in one for the first time today and the window looks good from outside but once you sit inside that mirror is HUGE. i am 6 foot 1 and my head hit the roof now i didnt play with the seat at all so i know theres some adjustment i am sure that can be made but that mirror is HUGE so i can see where this can be a problem. i plan on definately going to a big empty parking lot after i get this car and get used to it cause its definately going to be a change from my blazer.

Richochet83 05-28-2009 10:09 AM

WTF you got one eye or something?...I don't have any problems seeing when I'm driving my shit. Backing up can be a little tough but I just have to get uses to using my side mirrors. Other than that the view is fine.

Joe in T.O. 05-28-2009 10:09 AM

Just remove the mirror. "What's behind you is not important"

LDGn63 05-28-2009 10:10 AM

thanks for the support guys.

i'll keep ya posted.

camaro67 05-28-2009 10:20 AM

all i can say is jeeeeeeez sounds like you need help not the car im 6,1 drove sure didnt have no problems .concentrate on driving and not on your great car.

LDGn63 05-28-2009 10:47 AM

Thanks to all that provide help or some serious thought to a resolution.

To those of you do not have problems seeing… I am TRULY happy that you do not have this problem.

To those who feel it necessary to bash me for making an honest plea for help… write back when you hit puberty!
Sorry, but I couldn’t resist… I just cant SEE how criticism of me gives any help at all… but maybe I cant SEE it because this DARN MIRROR is in the way!
:D

fdjizm 05-28-2009 10:55 AM

Sounds like a safety issue, but constructive criticism and concerns will not be tolerated on camaro5.com! :bellyroll:

Vash 05-28-2009 10:57 AM

This is not the first window and blind spots like that in an Fbody.

chopss 05-28-2009 11:06 AM

there is something wrong here, from what i remember from the test drive.
the rear mirror seems out of place. the thing is huge and the buttons under the mirror slop down the middle of the windshield. I understand the limited visibilty on the sides and rear but why that huge mirror?
keep us posted if you do anything.
joey

TAG UR IT 05-28-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 526358)
thanks for the positive translation. :)

but i must disagree with this part... its just poor design.

Hey, everybody messes up ( i almost hit another car today).
I'm just asking for a solution... and for GM to fix future cars.

1. GM ALREADY fixed this issue by making a "shorter" rear view mirror. This issue was ALREADY brought up as I talked to Al O. at Indy. Yes...they tweaked it for this car.

2. Yes. Your seat lowers. Try it if you have not already done so.

3. Yes. You can raise your rear view mirror higher on the glass. It is not fixed in one position. The base is fixed...but not the mirror itself. That will also give you more room to see.

Other than that, there is no issue here. GM, IMO, does not have to fix anything.

LDGn63 05-28-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 526750)
This is not the first window and blind spots like that in an Fbody.

TRUE but i've driven ALL Generations and NONE are like this.

Also, they completely designed this car new... why did they put a suburban mirror on it? (maybe that comment should go in my previously mentioned rant thread) :D