Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Stripes improperly installed? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26424)

2SSONLY 06-08-2009 04:55 PM

Stripes improperly installed?

So I just got my car back from the dealer and there's a ton of bubbling on my newly installed stripes. :yikes:

The bubbling isn't uniform, some are around the edges, some in the middle, some larger and some smaller but I was shocked at how many there are.

They are telling me that having it out in the sun where the stripes can be exposed to heat will fix this but I noticed another camaro next to mine whose stripes were also installed today didn't have near as many bubbles.

Can anyone who had dealer installed stripes tell me if this is normal or if I should take it back to the dealer?

Thanks!

boatingbent 06-08-2009 04:58 PM

Pull them off and reorder new ones....If they are installed correct by a Pro they should not have bubbles at all ....I am thinking they installed them dry, they should have used Liquid and they could have squesed out the Bubbles

boatingbent 06-08-2009 05:00 PM

It is true that the Sun will take care of most of it....You can also take a Needle and put a small hole in each Bubble but on a 2010 Camaro I would have no part of that ...I think The Installer should buy you a new set and when he does have someone else install the new ones

jr_hoyt 06-08-2009 05:07 PM

Yeah, definitely make the dealer order you some new ones (better make it express!) and either make them install them or pay for you to have them professionally installed. I say have them professionally installed because they are OBVIOUSLY incompetent!

2SSONLY 06-08-2009 05:15 PM

I was afraid of that. I use vinyl in glass etching and the bubbles don't come out. The only way to get a smooth surface is to get a smooth surface the first time. Period.

Dang!

hb-rocks 06-08-2009 05:18 PM

My Dealer outsources this work to a pro for exactly this reason....this should be done by someone who knows what they are doing!

lawdogg149 06-08-2009 05:19 PM

Bubbles are bad. Take it back and raise hell. I helped install mine and they look great. You can' t use any heat on these stripes they are to thin.

Mr Twisty 06-08-2009 05:51 PM

Don't get in too big a rush, do what he said, if they're still there then raise stink.

2SSONLY 06-08-2009 06:33 PM

So some that responded have had stripes put on with no bubbles. That's obviously the preferred way. Has anyone had them installed with bubbles, left it in the sun and seen them disappear???

I'll try to take some photos when I get home and post those. Perhaps that will reveal why I'm so ticked off.

Mr Twisty 06-08-2009 07:42 PM

Yes, I've had decals with bubbles, and yes small ones do disappear. It's also important the area be SUPER clean. Photo would be great.

2010 SS RS 06-08-2009 09:59 PM

When I talked to her the question I asked was if they were liquid installed as well. I thought maybe small bubbles of the alcohol water mix could be trapped but would evaporate away. She said they were dry installed. I dont see how anyone could work with the sticky stripes without a lubricant to allow for proper fit and squeegee out the air. I did not order the stripes so I have not read the instructions. Do any of you guys have a set to see what they say. Bottom line. If they are not right I would bet that they can make them right. Its an lpo so it should be under warranty anyway.

2SSONLY 06-08-2009 10:29 PM

Not sure if they were installed wet or dry. But will find out tomorrow if I can get the dealer on the phone.

I don't think they cleaned the surface properly first and now discovered they scratched the crap out of my hood too.

Pretty ticked off right now and have called numerous times and can't get anyone to call me back.

Yep, they will fix it all one way or the other. They didn't wash the car down so I fully expect to find scratches on the sides of the car too where they rubbed up against it while installing them.

Tried to take pix but couldn't get the camera to focus with the glare. I'll keep trying though.

Yellow2010 06-08-2009 10:32 PM

All the stripes I have seen put on did not have any bubbles. I have watched professionals do striping, if a bubble gets underneath they pull it up and start again. Like most of the guys have said it should be done with a soapy solution to help eliminate bubbles.

Moose 06-08-2009 10:45 PM

That doesn't sound right. :rolleyes:

I'd be back at the dealer and strongly suggesting a new set be applied.