Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   When you got your car... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252913)

Anaconda 09-29-2012 06:43 PM

When you got your car...

did you let the dealer wash it? Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about just now allowing the dealer to wash it because they may scratch the paint or hurt the car. I've heard of people having swirl marks and bad wash jobs. My car should be here tomorrow or Monday and was planning on using Adam's car wash and detail spray for its first wash. Good idea or would it not hurt to have the dealer wash the car from the beginning? Any thoughts would be appreciated and thank you.

Jeffm 09-29-2012 06:48 PM

no i took delivery and did the wash myself i have a swirl free new car now because of it

kmmink 09-29-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaconda (Post 5635973)
did you let the dealer wash it? Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about just now allowing the dealer to wash it because they may scratch the paint or hurt the car. I've heard of people having swirl marks and bad wash jobs. My car should be here tomorrow or Monday and was planning on using Adam's car wash and detail spray for its first wash. Good idea or would it not hurt to have the dealer wash the car from the beginning? Any thoughts would be appreciated and thank you.

I just took delivery of my Camaro on 9/27. While I was waiting for the car to arrive, I planned on not letting them wash it because I know they don't do it properly and would probably cause swirls.

I decided to let them wash it only (told them not to wax or anything else; only wash) so they could go over it and possibly find any defects or blemishes in the paint. Also, the car would be free of dust and clean so that I could inspect it better.

I was planning to clay and polish anyway and thought that anything they did, I would be able to undo easy enough. Plus when the car arrived at the dealership, it didn't shine at all with all the dust it had accumulated from it's trip from Canada. However, by allowing them to wash it, it was nice and shiny!

This will be my initial detailing process:
2 bucket wash with 2 mitts

Clay

2 bucket wash with 2 mitts

Polish with Mequiar's Mirror Glaze#205 Ultra Finishing Polish (hopefully since it's new, I won't first need to use Mequiar's Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound) using a PC 7424XP

Sealant with Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Wax with Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid

Ultimately it's your decision, so go with whatever you can live with.:)

ihaveacamaro 09-29-2012 08:11 PM

Why are you bucket washing after claying? That's kind of redundant and not needed imo

midnighter 09-29-2012 08:14 PM

Mine was sitting in the lot and they did wash it. It came with a few minor scratches. I already took care of that.

Camaro EMT 09-29-2012 08:51 PM

I wouldn't. You are better off doing it yourself, starting with Adam's products from the git-go. :thumbsup:

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 09-29-2012 08:55 PM

yeah they washed mine, then I paid my detailer to do it right.

kmmink 09-29-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro (Post 5636204)
Why are you bucket washing after claying? That's kind of redundant and not needed imo

Maybe you should check out some of Junkman's videos...then you may understand the reasoning behind it.:)

CamaroDreams07 09-29-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmmink (Post 5636355)
Maybe you should check out some of Junkman's videos...then you may understand the reasoning behind it.:)

No, he's actually right. There's really no reason to. It's optional.

*In life, there are no nandroids*

kmmink 09-29-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 5636443)
No, he's actually right. There's really no reason to. It's optional.

I can't find the references at this time, but I have read several knowledgeable people say they do it; including Junkman...and if Junkman recommends doing it, I'm sure there is a reason to it. Maybe he will chime in here and give his reasoning.

CamaroDreams07 09-29-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmmink (Post 5636490)
I can't find the references at this time, but I have read several knowledgeable people say they do it; including Junkman...and if Junkman recommends doing it, I'm sure there is a reason to it. Maybe he will chime in here and give his reasoning.

At the very most, I'd recommend a waterless wash to remove the clay residue. Certainly no reason to bust out a two bucket wash whatsoever. All you're washing off is pretty much just dried clay lube and any residue of the clay that may have come off.

You're obviously free to do more work if you want to, but there's no need. There's nothing wrong with washing it again. There are dozens of great detailers on both sides of this debate, but I can assure you, you're doing no damage skipping it.

ihaveacamaro 10-01-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmmink (Post 5636355)

I've seen his videos, and plenty by other professional detailers as well such as Mike Phillips. I understand you may want to get some clay residue off, but as Camarodreams has said above, it's not necessary to do a whole another 2 bucket wash. I have always pressure washed OR waterless OR rinseless washed after and never had problems.

kmmink 10-01-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 5636658)
At the very most, I'd recommend a waterless wash to remove the clay residue. Certainly no reason to bust out a two bucket wash whatsoever. All you're washing off is pretty much just dried clay lube and any residue of the clay that may have come off.

You're obviously free to do more work if you want to, but there's no need. There's nothing wrong with washing it again. There are dozens of great detailers on both sides of this debate, but I can assure you, you're doing no damage skipping it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro (Post 5640935)
I've seen his videos, and plenty by other professional detailers as well such as Mike Phillips. I understand you may want to get some clay residue off, but as Camarodreams has said above, it's not necessary to do a whole another 2 bucket wash. I have always pressure washed OR waterless OR rinseless washed after and never had problems.

As I originally posted, this is MY initial detailing process. Meaning, this is the process that I will follow when I detail MY car for the first time.

It's not something that I would do every time, but for MY first time this is what I am going to do.

I was just letting the OP what I planned on doing when I got my car. Since I posted my opinion, the OP now has several options/opinions to choose from because it seems to have sparked some debate. :thumbsup:

CamaroDreams07 10-01-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmmink (Post 5641143)
As I originally posted, this is MY initial detailing process. Meaning, this is the process that I will follow when I detail MY car for the first time.

It's not something that I would do every time, but for MY first time this is what I am going to do.

I was just letting the OP what I planned on doing when I got my car. Since I posted my opinion, the OP now has several options/opinions to choose from because it seems to have sparked some debate. :thumbsup:

Like I said, you're free to, and you're doing no damage by washing again. I don't blame you wanting to be extra careful.

Your post just came off condescending, when you told him to watch a video to "understand the reasoning behind it," even though he was right, and there is no reasoning behind it. :thumbsup: