Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   New to Forced Induction? Gale Banks talks about FI (Boost). (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6094)

GTAHVIT 08-18-2008 09:01 AM

New to Forced Induction? Gale Banks talks about FI (Boost).

For those that want a great overview of forced induction (Superchargers and Turbos), here is a video of the man who probably knows more about FI than anyone else.

Hopefully You'll enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Edit: Better links,

Part 1: Roots, Twin Screw, and Centrifugal Superchargers
http://www.bankspower.com/videos/show/2

Part 2: Nitrous, Turbos, and Diesels
http://www.bankspower.com/videos/show/3

I really enjoyed his take on the future of musclecars. Very cool.

radz28 08-18-2008 09:08 AM

Ooo... This looks pretty good. Thanks!

GTAHVIT 08-18-2008 10:02 AM

I totally get the Turbo thing. If Mr. Banks says it's the way to go then so be it.

But I'm looking for 600 RWHP, and I love the sound of a twin screw supercharger. I'm gonna have trouble getting 600 to the ground anyway. For the kind of power I'm talking about I don't really want all the complications of Turbo. Having said that, if I were to go 700 plus and money was no object... I'd have a small block Banks TT setup without question.

DGthe3 08-18-2008 12:10 PM

I remember watching that. Very informative for beginers

smike07 08-18-2008 01:12 PM

It certainly gives me something to contemplate. I like both turbos and SC, but mine will have at least 500 horses before I tack on any type of forced induction stuff. There's plenty of time for everyone to give feedback and total HP numbers, as well as problems before I invest in either. It's still exciting.:happyanim:

radz28 08-18-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtahvit (Post 114208)
I totally get the Turbo thing. If Mr. Banks says it's the way to go then so be it.

But I'm looking for 600 RWHP, and I love the sound of a twin screw supercharger. I'm gonna have trouble getting 600 to the ground anyway. For the kind of power I'm talking about I don't really want all the complications of Turbo. Having said that, if I were to go 700 plus and money was no object... I'd have a small block Banks TT setup without question.

+1 I'd prefer the sound of a supercharger, ease of installation, reliability, and tunablility, opposed to the complicated design and nature of turbos. There's no question that Banks knows his stuff though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 114267)
I remember watching that. Very informative for beginers

I thought that looked familiar. The narator sounded familiar then I saw the introduction on the second video and remembered seeing it.

Good information nonetheless!!!

Kyle2k 08-18-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 114411)
+1 I'd prefer the sound of a supercharger, ease of installation, reliability, and tunablility, opposed to the complicated design and nature of turbos. There's no question that Banks knows his stuff though.

I thought that looked familiar. The narator sounded familiar then I saw the introduction on the second video and remembered seeing it.

Good information nonetheless!!!

Can anyone please tell me what's so complicated about turbochargers? Or is that if you have to know like what size of turbo to use etc?

GTAHVIT 08-19-2008 06:23 AM

I guess complicated may be the wrong word. I'm just not a fan of all the plumbing that comes along with it. But, my biggest concern is the oil requirement for the turbos. Most bolt on Blowers don't need oil while the turbos do. It just makes me a little more comfortable when I shut down the motor, everything is shut down. While turbos will continue to spin and will require oil to cool them off. If I'm not mistaken some turbo kits won't let you shut off the motor until the turbos are cool enough. Things like this make me more of a blower guy. And the sound.

radz28 08-19-2008 09:51 AM

Complicated isn't the right word; my bad. I should've said, IMHO, it's just more complex and, for me, not entirely necessary when you have a simpler blower you can bolt onto the top of the engine. I think the plumbing for the turbo(s), like coolant and/or oil, exhaust temperature, exhaust plumbing, bigger intercooler to fight higher IATs, and such just make it less desirable on a street car that's expected to put down good power, reliably, repeatedly. Don't get me wrong, TRs and GNs were flippin' bad@$$. I just believe there is more mechanical control over a supercharger, therefor, easier not to allow to get out of hand (overboost, creep, etc.)

I'm not arguing what's better, just what I prefer more ;)

GTAHVIT 08-19-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 114760)
Complicated isn't the right word; my bad. I should've said, IMHO, it's just more complex and, for me, not entirely necessary when you have a simpler blower you can bolt onto the top of the engine. I think the plumbing for the turbo(s), like coolant and/or oil, exhaust temperature, exhaust plumbing, bigger intercooler to fight higher IATs, and such just make it less desirable on a street car that's expected to put down good power, reliably, repeatedly. Don't get me wrong, TRs and GNs were flippin' bad@$$. I just believe there is more mechanical control over a supercharger, therefor, easier not to allow to get out of hand (overboost, creep, etc.)

Dude! Did you cut and paste my post??? :D The More I read your posts the more I think we were separated at birth. :drinking:

KILLER74Z28 08-19-2008 07:16 PM

Lots of good info; learned a lot of new things I was unaware of… Great post :w00t:

TFord 08-19-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 114760)

Ditto,....(dude get out of my head)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtahvit
Dude! Did you cut and paste my post??? The More I read your posts the more I think we were separated at birth.

Thats what I think of both U guys!!! well you know what they say great minds think alike!

GTAHVIT 08-20-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFord (Post 115206)
Ditto,....(dude get out of my head)

Thats what I think of both U guys!!! well you know what they say great minds think alike!

:word: :thumbsup:

radz28 08-20-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtahvit (Post 115253)
:word: :thumbsup:

YOU KNOW IT!!! SHAKE AND BAKE!!! :word: :drinking: :bow: