Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Ready to buy!! But do I go V6 and turbo/sc or just get an SS..What would you do? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273841)

homer4evr 01-28-2013 11:38 PM

Ready to buy!! But do I go V6 and turbo/sc or just get an SS..What would you do?

New to this forum but have been snooping for a while

Well I have about 30k to spend and heres what I was thinking

V6: Go with a 2LT cost about 20k give or take that leaves 10k for mods
then do a turbo or supercharger
exhaust
rims/tires
hood/bumpers/ground effects
radio
and in the end have a nice custom with a good amount of power

or

Just go with a 2ss anywhere from 26k-30k
leaves not much for customizing right away
and kinda could get lost in a parking lot BUT starting with a 6.2l

Im torn its going to be my wifes car. She drives 30miles a day round trip to work this WILL be her daily driver ( just south of chicago) I'm happy right around 400hp and if I get the ss I wont touch the motor other than maybe intake and exhaust. But the v6 with FI can get just about the same hp with better mpg.

SO if you did it all over again would you still go with a v6 or skip right to the v8. I love the sound of any FI but if I get the ss there's no way I will give her even more hp she already has a heavy foot.

I just need some honest advice I have many years of automotive background, And have a paint booth in my garage so labor for most mods will be all me.......Just cant make up my mind:confused0068:

lscamaro 01-28-2013 11:45 PM

If you're completely content with 400 hp and you're sure you won't mod the v8 then get the v8. Reason I say this is because it's very hard to stop once you start. So if you get the v6 and turbo or supercharge it you're just going to want more after you feel it. Then you're going to end up wanting the v8 later. If you don't mod the v8, you'll be content with power and can mod the exterior and make it look really good one mod at a time.

Inferno LSX 01-28-2013 11:46 PM

Go V8 and be happy.

Trentin24 01-28-2013 11:47 PM

I have this same problem except not that much cash yet. Go V8 and when you get the money, mod th V8.

homer4evr 01-28-2013 11:54 PM

Thats kinda what I was leaning towards, I have a ram srt-10 and cant wait to supercharge it but gotta make the wife happy first. And I guess in the long run if she gets board of the v8 a turbo or two could fix that. I do understand maxing out on the v6 eventual I just wanted to know what other v6 owners thought.
Thanks

lscamaro 01-28-2013 11:58 PM

Why not give her the srt-10 and keep the camaro for yourself ;)

You could supercharge the camaro and have a really really fun car :D

homer4evr 01-29-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 6096015)
Why not give her the srt-10 and keep the camaro for yourself ;)

You could supercharge the camaro and have a really really fun car :D

I already offered I found a 800hp srt10 for about the same price as the camaros were looking at...she didn't find me funny. Also I only get about 9mpg avg. For me that's fine I have a work truck and winter beater but she needs decent mpg and reliability.

lscamaro 01-29-2013 12:22 AM

Or here's an idea..... get her the v6 and you buy a v8..... :D

Nah just kidding. But to not get off topic, definitely go v8 first. That way you have a great amount of power to begin with and have a great platform to build off. There are tons of parts for the v8 as opposed to barely any for the v6. For the newer v6s, you have intake, exhaust, throttle body, and then you just have forced induction after that. Those are basically all the options out right now

DandDC09 01-29-2013 12:29 AM

I love my V6... But I bought it for gas mileage with decent power and insurance... If its power you want, go V8.... You will definitely love it's power! I find myself getting the V8 itch now and then and you just can't beat the sound of a V8!

JohnnyBfromPeoria 01-29-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 6096053)
For the newer v6s, you have intake, exhaust, throttle body, and then you just have forced induction after that. Those are basically all the options out right now

And wheels and tires, brakes, suspension, sub-frame mounts, differential mounts, clutches, driveshafts, rear ends, forged internals, cams and whatever else I left out.

John B.

nikos30 01-29-2013 12:45 AM

v8 with a nice exhaust for sure dude. imo. what do YOU want to do?

Garret 01-29-2013 12:54 AM

you can make a mean V6 but it wont sound mean :P not to mention it will have its limits where as an SS will have limits but much higher limits :P

lscamaro 01-29-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria (Post 6096070)
And wheels and tires, brakes, suspension, sub-frame mounts, differential mounts, clutches, driveshafts, rear ends, forged internals, cams and whatever else I left out.

John B.

I was only mentioning parts for added power. There are no aftermarket rear ends. Its the v8 stock one. Forged internals are useless unless you run boost. Cams are out but no concrete data yet. Not to mention the price it would take to get them being you probably have to pay for install because of the complexity of it.

Trentin24 01-29-2013 01:03 AM

I'm 17 years old. Have a 1lt camaro, and i've had it for a year and a few months. (Sept. 3rd, 2011) and I am already used to its power and want more. But i don't want to put a SC or TT kit in it to just sell and get a V8. I will get an SS ASAP. If you have the money, do it. Or you will get bored with its power.