Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Adams APC question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215361)

bigwayne3000 04-09-2012 09:03 PM

Adams APC question

Bought a gallon of the stuff and plan on washing my car sometime this week. Can I use it straight or do I need to dilute it in order to use it on the paint and engine compartment?

The Stig 04-09-2012 09:13 PM

you don't wash your car with All Purpose Cleaner. You use Adam's Car Shampoo. APC is too harsh for washing the car.

bigwayne3000 04-09-2012 09:15 PM

I wasnt going to use it to wash the car, I was going to use it on certain spots that have tar (I've tried Bug and Tar remover and it still doesn't come off) and I was going to use it to mist the engine compartment to clean that.

The Stig 04-09-2012 09:20 PM

Ah. When you said "wash the car" I thought you meant you were going to wash the car. You don't need to dilute the APC, but just rinse off the area with water after you've sprayed it down and you should be fine.

Dylan please feel free to correct me if I'm giving false info.

bigwayne3000 04-09-2012 09:33 PM

Thanks for your help. Should have been more clear originally. Thanks again!

camaro2ssblack 04-09-2012 09:44 PM

IMO, I would only use APC at full strength if you have to. You will get so much more mileage out of a gallon by diluting it with water at least 50%. However, with tar you may be forced to use full strength. If your car stays relatively clean, you wont need full strength for general maintenance washes.

Adam's Polishes 04-10-2012 10:39 AM

Usually a 50% mix with water is strong enough... start with it diluted to see if it does the job, if it doesn't then amp it up a bit. Be sure not to spray onto anything while its hot... especially wheels.

DangerZL1 04-10-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 (Post 4781320)
I wasnt going to use it to wash the car, I was going to use it on certain spots that have tar (I've tried Bug and Tar remover and it still doesn't come off) and I was going to use it to mist the engine compartment to clean that.

WD-40 works great at removing tar and won't harm your paint.

Mark's SS 04-10-2012 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 (Post 4781320)

I know I have recommended this before, but this stuff works really fast removing tar.

ibmrs 04-10-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark's SS (Post 4784818)
I know I have recommended this before, but this stuff works really fast removing tar.

Really? MSDS says that it contains Dichloromethane, also called methylene chloride. That chemical is widely used as a paint stripper and a degreaser. Specifically used to remove clear coat. Brilliant.

Won't be using that on my paint, ever.

:facepalm: Retract previous statement, i mistakenly read the MSDS for the liquid, not the spray can. sorry.

Mark's SS 04-10-2012 04:26 PM

I read the MSDS for this product and it does not have the component that you mentioned. I just know that I have used it and it did not damage the paint.

=Stephens= 04-10-2012 04:36 PM

APC works great at full strength on road tar. I had some on mine behind the rear wheels, sprayed it on there, let it set for a few seconds and it wiped off. I was very impressed.

Mark's SS 04-10-2012 04:48 PM

Maybe the gum and adhesive remover is a little too strong for some people to use. I just used it to remove a lot of tar when nothing else would do the job. I will say use it at your own risk. But it did work for me. Sorry if this was not a good recommendation for others.

Mark's SS 04-10-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibmrs (Post 4784886)
Really? MSDS says that it contains Dichloromethane, also called methylene chloride. That chemical is widely used as a paint stripper and a degreaser. Specifically used to remove clear coat. Brilliant.

Won't be using that on my paint, ever.

:facepalm: Retract previous statement, i mistakenly read the MSDS for the liquid, not the spray can. sorry.

That's cool. I was getting worried that I told people to use something that would remove their paint. The stuff really does a number on tar. Maybe it is too strong.:iono: