Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Which backing plate and pads? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216043)

Nutro 04-12-2012 09:41 AM

Which backing plate and pads?

Just bought my first PC and need to order some pads and a backing plate. I keep seeing either 5" or 6" plates and I am unsure what I need to use.

Looking on Autogeek since I have a credit with them that I need to use up.

Do I need a 6" plate and 7.5" pads?

Do I need a 5" plate and 6" pads?

Todd@Autopia 04-12-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutro (Post 4794182)
Just bought my first PC and need to order some pads and a backing plate. I keep seeing either 5" or 6" plates and I am unsure what I need to use.

Looking on Autogeek since I have a credit with them that I need to use up.

Do I need a 6" plate and 7.5" pads?

Do I need a 5" plate and 6" pads?

A PC is going to generate more polishing power (which will save you time) by using a smaller diameter pad.

I would go with 5.5 inch pads and a 5 inch backing plate. You could go even smaller (down to 4 inches) but then you loose some trade off in surface area, so you might end up taking longer to do an area. The machine will also 'wobble' a little more with a smaller pad. For most polishing 5.5 inch pads give you the best possible results.

Sir Nuke 04-12-2012 10:01 AM

Nutro, have you decided on who's products you are going to use?? If it were me, I would ask them what works the best for their product, and in some cases, they may have backing plates and pads made of specific materials designed for their product.

Nutro 04-26-2012 02:57 PM

Ok so I received an order from Autopia with my Black fire and Meguiar's products now I just need to order the pads. Here is what I have in my cart for the (6) pad deal:

Pad 1: Orange
Pad 2: Orange
Pad 3: White
Pad 4: White
Pad 5: Red
Pad 6: Red

Does this look correct?

Adam's Polishes 04-26-2012 04:17 PM

FWIW - I've always subscribed to the theory of stocking heavier on pads for fine polishing than anything else.

Waxing/glazing pads see very little abuse so they require less frequent replacment.

Heavier polishing pads shouldn't be needed too often if you're doing a good job of upkeep and swirl prevention.

So the pad that most commonly gets worked is my white pads... those are the ones I'm using for light touchup most frequently.

Take it for what its worth.

Angelo@Autopia 04-26-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutro (Post 4870570)
Ok so I received an order from Autopia with my Black fire and Meguiar's products now I just need to order the pads. Here is what I have in my cart for the (6) pad deal:

Pad 1: Orange
Pad 2: Orange
Pad 3: White
Pad 4: White
Pad 5: Red
Pad 6: Red

Does this look correct?

Looks good from what you wrote, are these CCS or Smart Pads?

Angelo@Autopia 04-26-2012 04:36 PM

Also if your putting on your LSP by hand you can skip the Red pads and stock up on Black pads.

Nutro 04-26-2012 04:36 PM

Yep, these are CCS pads.

I was thinking of using the white pads for a cutting (on my 2003 GMC truck) followed by the white pad.

On my Camaro, I was looking at just using the white pads for the light cutting and swirl remover then the red pad for the sealer or glaze?

Does that seem correct?

I could always apply the sealer or glaze by hand if needed.

Angelo@Autopia 04-26-2012 04:39 PM

Apply your LSP by hand and stock up on some Black pads for your final polishing.

Angelo@Autopia 04-26-2012 04:43 PM

Yellow Cutting 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.
Orange Cutting 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.
White Polishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so its perfect for pre-wax cleaners.
Green Polishing/Finishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.
Gray Finishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.
Blue Finessing 5.5 inch Foam Pad – Flat pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.
Red Ultrasoft Wax/Sealant 5.5 inch Foam Pad - This soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up. The red foam has no cut or cleaning ability.

Go with a few of the Black/Gray Pads IMO.

Nutro 04-26-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelo (Post 4871292)
Apply your LSP by hand and stock up on some Black pads for your final polishing.

Ok so let me make sure I have this right:

Orange or white pad with Meguir's 105 on my older paint ('03 GMC) since it has some swirl marks and such after many years of never being waxed/polished etc

White pad with Meguir's 105 on the Camaro (not many scratches at all) followed by a white pad with Megs 205? Or GREY pad with 205?

Blackfire Wet Diamond sealer by hand or use the GREY pad for the sealant

Carnuba by hand

CamaroDreams07 04-26-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutro (Post 4871341)

Orange or white pad with Meguir's 105 on my older paint ('03 GMC) since it has some swirl marks and such after many years of never being waxed/polished etc

White pad with Meguir's 105 on the Camaro (not many scratches at all) followed by a white pad with Megs 205? Or GREY pad with 205?

Carnuba by hand

I haven't used those pads specifically, but I would assume based on reading that you'd want to use the Grey pad with the 205, and then a blue one, or by hand for the sealant.

Angelo@Autopia 04-26-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Carnuba by hand

Orange with M105 for compounding

White with M205 for polishing

Black with M205 for final polishing

BFWD or any LSP by hand

Todd@Autopia 04-26-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Carnuba by hand

M105 is an amazing product. You could use it with an orange pad for increased cutting action or with a white pad for a more polishing action. So that is spot on.

M205 is a finishing polish that has a little cut. It could produce a better finish with a gray pad, although a lot of times a white pad (on a porter-cable style polisher) is going to finish equally as well.