Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - New England (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Getting impatient :) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56480)

SRM 12-14-2009 11:21 AM

Getting impatient :)

Still only 600 miles. I'm following the break-in procedure, although I know there are many opinions about this.

I just want to get on it. :)

elpatofeo 12-14-2009 01:59 PM

..get on it than!

2010 SSRS 12-14-2009 04:46 PM

What break in procedure, open up that machine and hammer it.

PAUL SS 12-14-2009 05:06 PM

I got frisky with mine around 350 miles. NICE! I don't baby it but I do watch the rpm's and throttle position carefully. It's a quick machine that will melt the tires.

G8GT721 12-14-2009 06:37 PM

i agree its what there made for!

The_Blur 12-14-2009 06:40 PM

Ride it hard. In fact, ride it really hard for your break-in. You should be sweating during your break-in.

SRM 12-14-2009 07:55 PM

I got on it once full throttle on the highway. Wasn't impressed. Did the "fuse pull mod", seems much more inline where the power should be now. :)

BOOTZILLA 12-14-2009 08:17 PM

Wanna know my break-in procedure?

#1 - Put the rear end up on jack stands and chock the front wheels.

#2 - Start the car.

#3 - Shift into Drive.

#4 - Put a brick on your accelerator and let it go.

#5 - Make sure you have a spare 10 gallons of gasoline on hand so you can top-off the tank when it starts getting low, so you can do a thorough break-in.

#6 - Wait for the "Low Fuel" indicator to come on.

#7 - Shut off the car.

#8 - Lower the rear end and go get yourself a tank of gas.

#9 - Change your engine oil, differential fluid, and transmission fluid. Admire the glittery appearance of those fluids, because that means that your car is broken in properly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying that this break-in method is for everyone... and really, it could be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing...

...but this is how I broke in my 2010 SS/A6.

:chevy:

elpatofeo 12-15-2009 09:17 AM

...I gun it every chance I get. The same day I took it out of the lot I gunned it a couple of times...broke it in that same day! lovin' the new g-ride!

600hp-lpe 12-16-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRM (Post 1282765)
Still only 600 miles. I'm following the break-in procedure, although I know there are many opinions about this.

I just want to get on it. :)

Why wait? Drive it like you plan to...

Slowhawk 12-16-2009 05:04 PM

Break in procedures vary but at 600 miles you should be hitting it hard.

I'd say semi easy drives(but don't be a puss) for 150-200 miles to break in the rear gears,tranny,converter.

The point is to seat the rings good,this happens in the first 20 minutes it runs which gm does.

My procedure is hard.Starting my 427ci next week and will hit the dyno on startup to seat the motor.After a heat cycle it will get WOT pulls.

For people hammering a car off the lot that is not good at all.It will cause premature wear of the clutch,A6 tranny and rear gears.Might not notice right away but they will fail early in life. Stuff needs to heat cycle and seat in.

Slowhawk 12-16-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOOTZILLA (Post 1284684)
#1 - Put the rear end up on jack stands and chock the front wheels.

#2 - Start the car.

#3 - Shift into Drive.

#4 - Put a brick on your accelerator and let it go.

#5 - Make sure you have a spare 10 gallons of gasoline on hand so you can top-off the tank when it starts getting low, so you can do a thorough break-in.

#6 - Wait for the "Low Fuel" indicator to come on.

#7 - Shut off the car.

#8 - Lower the rear end and go get yourself a tank of gas.

#9 - Change your engine oil, differential fluid, and transmission fluid. Admire the glittery appearance of those fluids, because that means that your car is broken in properly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying that this break-in method is for everyone... and really, it could be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing...

...but this is how I broke in my 2010 SS/A6.

:chevy:

I hope this is a joke.No load breakin of a motor is not good at all.Nevermind how hot the car must of gotten.

Angrybird 12 12-16-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowhawk (Post 1291869)

I'd say semi easy drives(but don't be a puss) for 150-200 miles to break in the rear gears,tranny,converter.

The point is to seat the rings good,this happens in the first 20 minutes it runs which gm does.

My procedure is hard.Starting my 427ci next week and will hit the dyno on startup to seat the motor.After a heat cycle it will get WOT pulls.

For people hammering a car off the lot that is not good at all.It will cause premature wear of the clutch,A6 tranny and rear gears.Might not notice right away but they will fail early in life. Stuff needs to heat cycle and seat in.

:word:
Thats what I have been saying...

chappy48 12-16-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowhawk (Post 1291869)

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, you just contradicted yourself. If a car has any miles on it at all it's more then likely been heat cycled (unless a car can magically travel 7 miles, as was the case with mine, without the engine heating up). You just said after a heat cycle you will go with some WOT pulls. How is this any different then hammering the car off the lot? Obviously the engine and fluids should be at optimum temp before hammering it, but I don't see how WOT runs on a dyno is any different then WOT runs on the road.