Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   WANTED - Homelink light mod (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60892)

extremepcs 01-14-2010 09:46 PM

WANTED - Homelink light mod

Has anyone mod'd their homelink buttons so they can be seen at night? I don't think it would be hard to do... I'm too much of a wuss to rip off the dome light cover on a 2 month old car :laugh: I would like to see what others have done. I was thinking one LED under the button area would light up the outline of all 3 buttons since there is a small gap between them.

Thanks

Jayhawk500 01-16-2010 08:26 PM

Homelink Lighting

I'm currently working on this mod right now. I have it figured out. I'll be posting pictures and instructions when I have it finished. This will not be for the faint of heart. So if your not mechanically inclined or fimiliar with electrical work you may want to have this done.
There will be 3 lighted dots, one in the middle of each button.

I tried the one LED thingy, didn't work. It didn't let enough light shine through.

HaZe_X 01-16-2010 09:12 PM

should be fairly easy. I was about to do this, but as long as Jayhawk has the legwork done Ill wait.

In the mean time Ill work on my onstar mirror.

convert 01-16-2010 10:09 PM

Great idea -- I keep fumbling for the switch when I come home at night in the dark.

Can't wait for the DIY, Jayhawk500!

OUR72GTO 01-17-2010 02:29 AM

Let us know!

Jayhawk500 01-17-2010 10:43 AM

I'll be starting a new thread when I post how I did it.
Unless you want me to post up here.

kjd15 01-17-2010 10:52 AM

I also wish there was a light on the buttons. I'm not mechanically inclined, but my hubby is, so depending on what the procedure is, he might be able to do it.

Jayhawk, if you post another thread on it, just put a heads up here so we know when to look for it. :)

extremepcs 01-17-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk500 (Post 1387700)
I'm currently working on this mod right now. I have it figured out. I'll be posting pictures and instructions when I have it finished. This will not be for the faint of heart. So if your not mechanically inclined or fimiliar with electrical work you may want to have this done.

I tried the one LED thingy, didn't work. It didn't let enough light shine through.

Sweet. Thanks in advance for sharing. My biggest concern is taking apart the dome light area without fudging something up. I'm good with electronics. And a new thread would probably be best.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 01-17-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk500 (Post 1387700)

What do you mean the LED thingy, didn't work, Is it me or are we looking for something like the look of the windows switch that has the number 1-3 on the homelink switches.

How bright do you want it.

Superfly1 01-17-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk500 (Post 1388886)
I'll be starting a new thread when I post how I did it.
Unless you want me to post up here.

Can't wait to see how you accomplish this. It is a pain to find the right button at night.

:popcorn:

CatiaJockey 01-17-2010 03:34 PM

:popcorn:
Great idea! I fumble with those damn buttons too.

jimmie.briseno 01-17-2010 04:30 PM

same here placing an led in the middle of the buttons that glow the same blue as the interior lighting would be great!

markmass 01-17-2010 08:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'd love to see the 3 LED's working. That little box of tricks where the homelink circuit is looks pretty delicate, that will be great when that's done

I've literally just put mine back up....
I stuck a bright blue LED Light behind mine, that shines through the existing hole for the the red LED (that only comes on when the button is pressed.) And tapped into the Hot Wire that I also tapped into to permanently wire the Passport Radar detector. The Blue LED was left over from a purchase from AAC.

When the ignition is on the Blue LED is permanently on and visible - when the Buttons are pressed the RED LED shines through.

Attachment 87005
Attachment 87006

Taking down the Dome Light and surround is actually not that bad, and is covered on other threads
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34844

All I did was to make some cut outs to let the LED shine through

Before Cut Out

Attachment 87007

After Cut Out - Bit Crude - I actually went down a little deeper and cleaned this off a wee bit. You'll see the hole where the RED LED shines through when the button is pressed....This is where the Blue LED will now shine when the ignition is on.

Attachment 87008

kjd15 01-18-2010 08:05 AM

Good job! I never even noticed a red light when the button was pushed!