Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Confirmation on Some Speculation (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2126)

DGthe3 11-28-2007 11:05 PM

I was about to clear some of that stuff up. Here are the facts and some important words

The man I talked to is involved in research and development of advanced propulsion technologies. As a result he knows a great deal about what hybrids are comming, he mentioned the Tahoe and Silverado specifically in the lecture

I asked him after he was done that since trucks with large engines can utilize hybrid technology, would it be possible for a performance car such as a Camaro or Corvette which has a similarly sized engine to have a similar technology.

He said yes it is possible. in fact that same engine is being considered for the Camaro. In his responce there was no mention of a Camaro hybrid, that was my idea that I presented to him, not to say that he hasn't heard it before. But the hybrid system is esentially contained in the transmission and so the two do not need to go together. However, the engine does have active fuel management and variable valve timing and is well suited to a two mode hybrid drive system

Mr. Wyndham 11-28-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 32026)
However, the engine doeshave active fuel management and active fuel management

;) .....er, typo? :laugh:

The only thing I've been able to determine that sets apart the actual hybrid engine, is a special "alternator" (that flows electricity 2 ways; from the battery and to the battery), and a stronger belt with many, many more ribs that is able to handle the torque necessary to actually start the engine mulitiple times(as opposed to a starter motor), and maintain proper grip on the pulleys. Other than that, and some special tuning...I pretty sure it's just a normal engine.

Then comes in the tranny-motor thing that everybody'd bringing up.:thumbsup:

DGthe3 11-28-2007 11:39 PM

what typo. . . :confused: :iono: :laugh:
(ps, what is a "straonger belt"?)

Also, perhaps my title for the thread is a bit misleading, and suggestions for what it could/should be changed to? that was the best that I could think of at the time, but I was distracted by the thought of a hybrid camaro.

As for the actual mechanics, the way that the guy explained it was that the engine can be shut down and the entire system can be run solely by an electic motor, or rather a pair of electric motors, located in the tranny. And from wiki, which states things a bit more technically
Quote:

A special automatic transmission incorporates two 100 kW (133 hp) three phase induction motors, two planetary gearsets, and two selectively-engaging friction clutches. This system amplifies the output of the electric motors similarly to the way in which a conventional transmission amplifies the torque of an internal combustion engine. It also transfers more of the engine's torque to the wheels, making the transmission more efficient even without the electric motors in use. Finally, the whole system fits into the space of, and indeed appears as, a conventional 4L60-E automatic transmission.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Mode_Hybrid
I tried going to the refference off wiki but the GM pages no longer exist

Good53X 11-29-2007 12:03 AM

As long as they give me the L76 manual, I'm cool. And as there is a manual transmission option with the V8 (there MUST be) that's fine.

However, they said "one or two V8's". Most people are fine with one V6 and one V8, a lower and upper power trim level. Second V8 being a hybrid DOES make sense, especially considering these would be launch powerplants.

Then, of course, a top-dog edition could be released the next year. I see this as plausible. Not confirmed, but not out of the question.

Mr. Wyndham 11-29-2007 08:03 AM

Keep in mind that, although it'd be cool, I'm skeptical we'll see a Hybrid Camaro anytime soon:

BUT, I also want to remind everybody that ever since the Tahoe, and Yukon Hybrids, GM is going to be releasing ONE new Hybrid model every 3 months for 4 years. SOURCE.

That's 12 new hybrids from GM alone...:iono:

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention...GM will be using Lithium Ion batteries in "new generation" mild Hybrids. Which provide more longevity, power, and charge life. :thumbsup:

TAG UR IT 11-29-2007 11:23 AM

And the presidents of the big three met w/ the actual pres and it was decided that they were going to enact some new laws that said all veh's must get 30 mpg's plus, remember? It was something like that. Then, all the talk surfaced about the plants closing??? and the camaro taking longer to build? OK, maybe ya'll remember...

Well, with GM needing to increase all it's mgp's per vehicle, because law will come into effect, I see that they are actally starting to do this to all of their vehicles. Now, it's not the same mpgs as what was noted in congress in the bill, but it is close....and if we remember, the clause in the bill stated that if it were unacheivable by a certain year, then they would lower the mpg mark. Well, sounds to me like GM is setting up for this "other" mark.

In other words, GM and the other big three are expected to up their mpg's to something like 35-40 mpgs' per vehicle by the year 2012...or something like that. They know it's not feasible as of yet, so they are doing what they can....meanwhile, they are going to rake in everyone else's business due to being the only ones selling hybrid trucks, etc.

2010_5thgen 11-29-2007 11:51 AM

please tell me there will be more than just the hybrid motor(6.0) as a standard v8 option. i really want something equal to or greather than the 6.2.

DGthe3 11-29-2007 12:13 PM

The motor is NOT a hybrid. It does not have an electric motor as the flywheel, it does not have a super-starter that can run the engine by itselft. It is a modern 6.0L chevy small block (L76), that has a few features to improve milage. It makes enough power to impress most people. There is a transmission that has been designed for that particular engine which is an electro-mechanical hybrid system. AND there is nothing that says that the Camaro will for sure get either of these. IF there is a hybrid Camaro it will almost certainly be in the form of an option on the base V8. At some point (be it at release, 6 months later, 1 year later, what ever) it is nearly certain that an engine greater than or equal to the LS3 will be in the Camaro.

Mr. Wyndham 11-29-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen (Post 32095)
please tell me there will be more than just the hybrid motor(6.0) as a standard v8 option. i really want something equal to or greather than the 6.2.

What's with you and the 6.2? :laugh: Did you have a poor encounter with one of GM's 6 Liters?;)

2010_5thgen 11-29-2007 04:03 PM

no my dad has a vette with the 6.0 and i just want the latest lsX motor. i had the 5.7 my dad has the 6.0 and i just want the best that is out at the time the camaro comes. not that its a bad motor i just want the most recent motor. i dont want to get the 6.0 and then the next year the 6.2 goes in. or get the 6.2 and the 2011 has something else like a 6.4. do you understand what im saying. im not trying to be cocky and say i want this and this or that i want the best, i just want whats the newest.

2010_5thgen 11-29-2007 04:06 PM

this may seem kinda weird to everyone but i want to have matching motors in my cars. like when i get the camaro i want the 6.2, and eventually i would like to get a new escalade and have the 6.2 in that. just something i want. any ways back to your regularly scheduled program.

Mr. Wyndham 11-29-2007 07:34 PM

No, I get it. But you've got to remember that displacement really is relative.

JUST THEORETICALLY: What if they came out with a 5.7 Gen-V engine in the 5th gen, that pumped out more power, and more fuel economy than the LS3? ;) something to chew on, that's all.:thumbsup:

MTron 11-29-2007 11:17 PM

I really just want a V8 that is going to be well supported in the aftermarket and that has or can be easily modded to about 400 HP. I would prefer the LS3, cuz A. It just sounds cooler to say i have an LS3 then i have an L76
B. i would think, all things being equal, if both engines are offered that the LS3 would have a larger aftermarket as it would also be in the vett (yes i know different platform) and i believe that it is a likely candidate for the G8 GXP (if there is one) so that'll also boost the aftermarket
C. the ls3 has more power:evil:

well, thats enough of that, sorry for the derailment

KILLER74Z28 11-30-2007 12:55 AM

I would look at it two ways, first with the big drive to save the environment, there will most likely be a lot of people interested in a gas saving hybrid Camaro. So, this option is defiantly being kicked around by GM if not already signed on… Second, the true “Balls to the wall, knuckle dragging gearhead” who doesn’t give a crap how much gas costs could care less (Me), and GM knows this as well… Info like this keeps bringing me back to what Wagner and Luts keep saying, “everyone is going to be happy with the new Camaro”… ;)