Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Break Pad replacment Help Please (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347756)

SoBeGirl 03-17-2014 12:02 AM

Break Pad replacment Help Please

To those long term memebers.. I did search and found some useful info. ONe is that I will not go to the dealer ship for this service. I will do it myself. However, do I only need to get the break pads? Are that any other parts I need to get / replace. All I need to buy are just the pad to change them? Thanks in advance for your advice. I have a 2010 ss

maddoggyusa 03-17-2014 12:16 AM

how many miles do you have? I'm guessing you need just front pads. Normally you mic the rotors and/or inspect them. For my 1st service, I normally do a pad only (called a pad slap) service and leave the rotors alone.

the dealership often has a deal for $100 per axle which isn't too bad. If I didn't do the work myself, I'd rec'd getting it done at the delearship when you receive those $100 deals.

looks like $99 is their normal price per axle (most cars)
http://www.mycertifiedservice.com/co...ake_Pads-1.pdf

1KillerSS 03-17-2014 12:30 AM

with Brembos i like to at least turn the rotors if there low millage and replace them if they warp...turning them if there warped wont make it go away it will come back in less than 5k miles regardless of what anybody tells you.... both front and rear pads at the same time .... thats just me ....some dont do that. its my personal preferace from changing porsche big reds for a long time we always do both rotors and pads...but yours are not slotted or drilled so you can get away with turning them

if it were me and your not wanting to "upgrade" your pads or rotors, slap a set of pads on them and get your rotors turned.

1KillerSS 03-17-2014 12:37 AM

i forgot to mention i always bleed the brakes when i install new ones...gets fresh fluid to the calipers...if you have a lot of miles then i would flush the lines but i am sure you'll get some differing opinions on this

Kawirocket674 03-17-2014 12:46 AM

You might want to check the rotor thickness 1st before slapping on new pads. The rotors are soft and wear fast. I have seen a lot of people on their 1st pad change need rotors as well. Probably depends on the way you drive but I would check 1st.

Indydriver 03-17-2014 04:02 AM

I've heard a lot of good things about Hawk HPS pads and will be trying them on my first pad replacement.

htoniv 03-17-2014 11:18 AM

What does per Axle mean exactly? does it mean 2 wheels?

nyrfan 03-17-2014 11:19 AM

What are break pads?

Scalded Dog 03-17-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htoniv (Post 7501472)
What does per Axle mean exactly? does it mean 2 wheels?

Per axle means two wheels: The two front wheels equal one axle, the two rear wheels equal one axle.

But about the break pads, I can't answer that one... besides, I'm on brake.

sscamaro 03-17-2014 11:24 AM

I replaced my Brembo brake pads after 9 months because of all the brake dust. I have the original pads I'd sell for $50 if anybody wants them.

SSGUNNER 03-17-2014 11:25 AM

Interesting.

carfansince73 03-17-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan (Post 7501478)
What are break pads?

:laughabove:

trashmanssd 03-17-2014 11:55 AM

Where are you and do you daily drive it, how many miles, is it garaged, guessing you bought it used where was it before if you know. Are you planing on trakeing the car.

My self I live in New England when I do my daily drivers brakes I change the rotors every time. I find up here with all the salt that the hat and edges are rusted badly and the vent vanes are usually rusted closed which is the reason the over heat and warp in the first place. So even if you have room to turn them down they warp almost immediately from the inability to vent the heat.

JDP Sales 03-17-2014 12:12 PM

Here is a good DIY.

DIY: change Brake Pads/ rotors

Typically, I do not turn rotors. As long as they are within thickness spec and do not have any deep grooves, I just clean them up real well with some sand paper and brake cleaner and bed in the new pads. I'll usually go through 2 pad sets on 1 set of rotors.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007