Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Too much Orange Peel on Black Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22861)

rray200 05-14-2009 11:55 PM

Too much Orange Peel on Black Camaros

I went in to a local Chev dealer today here in town where I heard they had a black 2LT and went in to check it out. They only have one V6 in the showroom and even though I want to get an SS, I just went in to see it up close in person. No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

The one thing I didn't like was the excessive orange peel in the paint. It might be just this particular Camaro, but the orange peel was a bit excessive in the black paint of the one I sat in today. Have others here noticed the Orange peel in the paint being a bit much?

Indpowr 05-15-2009 12:03 AM

Typical, a good buff/polish job will help with that.

headpunter 05-15-2009 12:03 AM

Link in the Sig....

REVENGE 05-15-2009 01:01 AM

[QUOTE=rray200;488938] No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible. You can talk abut lines all you want but the fact is you put a silver camaro on the street next to a red or black camaro the silver car might as well not be there. I remember when I got my mustang a few years back someone on my block had a silver mustang. Both cars would be parked on the street. I would sit out and watch people walk past and not notice the silver mustang but their eyes would get drawn to the red mustang. I was amazing how you have the same model car but one looked plain and old. The silver car looked dull. It was pointless to try to wax and wash it hoping it would shine. It never did. It was a new car that looked like it had years on it simply because of its boring color.

Also on the next black someone parked a silver viper on the street. I almost walked pass it and I noticed no one else even realized a they were walking past a Viper either. I was the only one who gave it a second look. That would never happen with a shiny black or Red Viper. Especially in that area. Silver is just plain and dull. There is no shine to that color. I am happy there are people who think Silver is a decent color because it makes the cars others pick stand out.

THE EVIL TW1N 05-15-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rray200 (Post 488938)
I went in to a local Chev dealer today here in town where I heard they had a black 2LT and went in to check it out. They only have one V6 in the showroom and even though I want to get an SS, I just went in to see it up close in person. No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

The one thing I didn't like was the excessive orange peel in the paint. It might be just this particular Camaro, but the orange peel was a bit excessive in the black paint of the one I sat in today. Have others here noticed the Orange peel in the paint being a bit much?

all cars have orange peel now-a-days. It's mostly because of the waterbased paints that are used.

racert33 05-15-2009 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N (Post 489041)
all cars have orange peel now-a-days. It's mostly because of the waterbased paints that are used.

well, thats sh!tty. how hard is it to mass produce cars with good paint jobs?

THE EVIL TW1N 05-15-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racert33 (Post 489045)

at the pace they have to produce, probably pretty hard.

Number 3 05-15-2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racert33 (Post 489045)

Very. You have to run the line rate so slow in the ovens that either you have a low line rate and low production or you have multiple paint lines which is millions of $$$ in investment. Either way it's big bucks to you, the buyer.

CamaroHutch 05-15-2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

The only thing I can agree with is it is a little harder to see the lines in the black. I noticed that as well. But it is still looks quite bad ass

camaro67 05-15-2009 05:25 AM

if you want show quality paint job go to a custom shop should be able to get one for about 10 15 thou.indv.vs.mass. prod. ive seen red, yellow silver camaros they look great to me . paint not as nice as my 67 .didnt cost as much either.

fireresq157 05-15-2009 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=REVENGE;489036]
Quote:

No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible. You can talk abut lines all you want but the fact is you put a silver camaro on the street next to a red or black camaro the silver car might as well not be there. I remember when I got my mustang a few years back someone on my block had a silver mustang. Both cars would be parked on the street. I would sit out and watch people walk past and not notice the silver mustang but their eyes would get drawn to the red mustang. I was amazing how you have the same model car but one looked plain and old. The silver car looked dull. It was pointless to try to wax and wash it hoping it would shine. It never did. It was a new car that looked like it had years on it simply because of its boring color.

Also on the next black someone parked a silver viper on the street. I almost walked pass it and I noticed no one else even realized a they were walking past a Viper either. I was the only one who gave it a second look. That would never happen with a shiny black or Red Viper. Especially in that area. Silver is just plain and dull. There is no shine to that color. I am happy there are people who think Silver is a decent color because it makes the cars others pick stand out.

I beg to differ the reason they whent with silver in the concept is because it brings out the lines in the car. Ask Fbodfather, straight from the horses mouth. BTW I mean that lovingly Scott.

speedster 05-15-2009 07:48 AM

Cut and buff. Not a big deal.

Moose 05-15-2009 07:52 AM

:rolleyes:

I can't recall exactly where, but there is/was a thread discussing this matter.

EVERY CAR has orange peel.

A LITTLE "ELBOW GREASE" AND A GOOD QUALITY WAX/POLISH WILL IMPROVE THE APPEARANCE 100%.

GM/Chevrolet has done a very good job, IMO, with the painting of the 5th Gen., as well as its latest vehicles.

Be reasonable; EVERYONE wants their 5th Gen., yesterday, and they want it at a price they feel is reasonable. So, if GM retools the painting process, resulting in a slower process, time spent wet sanding, polishing, etc., so there is no orange peel, and then the higher costs for that process as well as paying for more time, well, you get my point. ;)

I've seen red, yellow, silver, and black 5th Gens., so far, and doing ALOT of detailing work, I look at the paint on these cars and smile as, with a little polishing, they look amazing.

As for which color looks better on the 5th Gen., they all look good. Its just a matter of preference.

Phil Oliver 05-15-2009 07:57 AM

I disagree with your take on silver. I find of all the colours it brings out the lines of the Camaro the best. Probably why GM chose silver as the colour for the concept.