Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Strange noise that follows engine rpm - 2SS/RS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29206)

SSCam15 06-24-2009 07:44 PM

Strange noise that follows engine rpm - 2SS/RS

I noticed today a very weird noise in my 2SS LS3. When accelerating there is noise that sounds like some kind of rapid clicking. (almost like rice krispies fresh in milk...) Does not do it at neutral. It almost sounds like it is coming for the speakers but it's just too hard to tell. Occurs with the radio on or off. I almost wonder if it has something to do with the auto volume but it is turned off. I'm hoping it's not being caused by the drivetrain. Also it did not happen every time. Noise would come and go. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions??

Didn't drive the car that long cause the weather was getting bad today. Will listen for it again next time I'm in the car and hopefully describe it better.
Car has 200 miles on it and I have had it for a week. Used the A/C also for the first time today. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

ffrcobra_65 06-26-2009 12:01 PM

peeble in the tire groove? Worth a check.

CamaroHutch 06-26-2009 02:29 PM

Mine does the same thing... but only when the RPMs are above 2k. Manual 2SS RS. Sounds like its comming from the dash around the glove box area.... Does not always do it, and seems less frequent when the engine is warmed up.... Never does when when I go over bumps or anything like that

Rusted Virtue 07-01-2009 06:55 PM

ME TOO! I feel better I'm not the only one now at least.

BackinBlackSS/RS 07-01-2009 07:09 PM

I have the LS3 and I've never heard anything like that. HMMMM???? I'm gonna make a point of trying to listen for this sound.

CamaroHutch 07-02-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS (Post 639802)
I have the LS3 and I've never heard anything like that. HMMMM???? I'm gonna make a point of trying to listen for this sound.

Its not that loud, you have to have the radio volume down.....

SicSix6 07-04-2009 08:53 AM

Sounds like an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold. Try to tighten the header bolts.... should be 10mm.

Jeanius 07-04-2009 10:05 AM

:word:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SicSix6 (Post 647811)
Sounds like an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold. Try to tighten the header bolts.... should be 10mm.

Cheshirelaugh 07-04-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSCam15 (Post 617224)
I noticed today a very weird noise in my 2SS LS3. When accelerating there is noise that sounds like some kind of rapid clicking. (almost like rice krispies fresh in milk...) Does not do it at neutral. It almost sounds like it is coming for the speakers but it's just too hard to tell. Occurs with the radio on or off. I almost wonder if it has something to do with the auto volume but it is turned off. I'm hoping it's not being caused by the drivetrain. Also it did not happen every time. Noise would come and go. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions??

Didn't drive the car that long cause the weather was getting bad today. Will listen for it again next time I'm in the car and hopefully describe it better.
Car has 200 miles on it and I have had it for a week. Used the A/C also for the first time today. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

I noticed what I think was the same thing... I took a look at the front-right wheel well and noticed several stickers wraped (like a flag) around various tubes/bars in the under-side of the engine compartment... I peeled them off and this seems to have resolved the sound.

To me the sound was kind've like a whirring noise, as if a fan was out-of ballance or vibrating... The noise wouldn't start until I was over 22ish MPH if I remember correctly. But once it started it wouldn't stop until the car came to a complete stop. It would resume as soon as I began accelerating again. It wouldn't "go away" until the car had been off and at rest for an extended period.

mmarcum 07-04-2009 10:52 AM

I've got that same exact noise, but it never seems to do it after the car is warmed up and I've been driving for awhile. Just when I first take it out.

Nashional 07-04-2009 10:56 AM

Mine was doing the same thing. But now that I have about 2,500 miles on it, I don't hear it any longer.

SSCam15 07-16-2009 09:16 AM

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Had some friends help me out and rev the engine while I listened. It is def coming from behind the dash above the glove box. Only up to 600 miles and it's still occuring. It also does do it less often with the engine warm. Took it to the dealer. They agreed it is in the hvac system. Sugguested I get more miles on it before we dig into solving issue. Glad to hear people are experiencubg the same thing and it is going away.

Other than the trunk deciding to only open when it is in a good mood the car has been amazing! :)

CamaroHutch 07-16-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSCam15 (Post 686284)
Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Had some friends help me out and rev the engine while I listened. It is def coming from behind the dash above the glove box. Only up to 600 miles and it's still occuring. It also does do it less often with the engine warm. Took it to the dealer. They agreed it is in the hvac system. Sugguested I get more miles on it before we dig into solving issue. Glad to hear people are experiencubg the same thing and it is going away.

Other than the trunk deciding to only open when it is in a good mood the car has been amazing! :)

Keep us apprised... this same EXACT sound issue is plaguing me.... please let us know!

badkarma 07-16-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SicSix6 (Post 647811)

If you are going to attempt that, get a torque setting for the bolts and use a torque wench. Especially if they are going into aluminum which I'm pretty sure they are.

Personally, take it in instead of risking more problems.