Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   1LE rims put grove in a brake line? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305779)

MikeMoach 07-04-2013 08:54 PM

1LE rims put grove in a brake line?

I'm not sure what this line is but pretty sure it's the brake line on my rear tires, I recently put on my 10 spoke rims and when I drive I heard the line clipping the wheel balances and it left a grove in the line

It's only on both rear tires and I'm lowered 1"

I will post pics tomorrow, it's not the line that clips to the top of the toe rod, if your looking at the side of the car it's closer to the front of the rear wheel well, it's has a black rubber insulator and the grove is like a stainless hose inside it

For now I zip tied it to my toe rod so I can drive without damaging it more

What I'm trying to get at is how can I fix it? Can I simply cut and splice that line? Or do I have to replace the whole thing? Also how and where do I get the material to fix it?

Edit: pics in post #8

rockrau 07-04-2013 09:13 PM

E brake cable?

Me too,I used zip ties.

MikeMoach 07-04-2013 09:29 PM

I didn't have time to try but can I move that clip that holds the line into the cradle? And shorten the loop that touches the rim

SSMickey 07-04-2013 11:09 PM

It's the e-brake cable. I pushed as much slack out of mine as possible and put a small hose clamp behind the bracket.

MikeMoach 07-05-2013 05:24 AM

Ok I'll try that when I get home today, but what about the grove in the cable?

Like I said I'll post pics today but should I have it fixed?

rockrau 07-05-2013 04:59 PM

For the nick, liquid electrical tape?

MikeMoach 07-05-2013 05:29 PM

Liquid electrical tape? How does it work and where can I get it?

MikeMoach 07-05-2013 06:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here are the pics i finally got to get them uploaded

i looked up that liquid electrical tape, do you think it will work in my situation? or is this too deep of a grove?

Attachment 531072

Attachment 531073

SSMickey 07-06-2013 12:26 AM

As long as the groove is not through the metal housing, you'll be fine. Just seal up the groove to prevent corrosion of the cable housing.

MikeMoach 07-06-2013 06:16 AM

I haven't used the car in 3 days and I haven't seen anything leaking so I'm guessing it didn't get through, but just for my own knowledge does anyone know what the inside diameter is in that line?

Ill go to Loews and Home Depot today to look for the liquid electrical tape, I just wanna make sure that its waterproof before I get it

bkdamon 07-06-2013 06:22 AM

It's not going to leak. It has a wire inside.

MikeMoach 07-06-2013 06:34 AM

Oh ok I didn't know that thank you, do you know how thick the wire inside is? So I can just have peace of mind and know what I'm covering up isn't more then what it is

bkdamon 07-06-2013 06:57 AM

I don't know the size but's it's a fairly thick cable and the nick in the exterior doesn't look to have compromised it. As you may know, It's part of the emergency/parking brake system you manually activate when you pull up the lever in your center console. It's not part of the hydraulic system. As was mentioned you can get some liquid electrical tape from a hardware store like Lowes to keep it from rusting and developing problems in the future. You may never use it unless you have a manual transmission but when/if you do need it you won't want the it to snap because moisture caused it to rust and weakened it.

MikeMoach 07-06-2013 07:22 AM

I didn't know they were seperate thank you, I have an auto and I don't use it much but I'm worried that one time I will need it and I pull it and I snap the cable

I'm guessing the wire inside is a braided cable? And I think you're right I didn't get through the exterior of the cable