Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will this void my warranty? (collection of merged threads on this topic) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72826)

shad2009 01-12-2010 05:56 AM

Will this void my warranty? (collection of merged threads on this topic)

if i had my camaro tuned after installing parts(i.e. cat back, CAI, headers) would this do anything to my warranty??

shad2009 01-12-2010 07:29 AM

nobody...?

WongBob 01-12-2010 07:46 AM

Everything you mentioned will kill the warranty. For tuning though you can always purchase a second ECM to swap in. If it breaks take it back to the dealership with the stock ECM. GM can tell how many times the ECM has been flashed... thats the reason for a second unit.

tjbusa 01-12-2010 07:46 AM

The answer is no yes and maybe

mlee 01-12-2010 07:46 AM

The tune could definitely affect your warranty... there are countless threads on this, probably why no one responded.
As far as the parts are concerned... exhaust and CAI are fine. Best bet is check with your dealers service manager...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WongBob (Post 1372076)
Everything you mentioned will kill the warranty. For tuning though you can always purchase a second ECM to swap in. If it breaks take it back to the dealership with the stock ECM. GM can tell how many times the ECM has been flashed... thats the reason for a second unit.

Bad info here...:thumbdown:

Bottom line is don't try to hide anything. ECM swap can be detected also. The tune part is where it gets sticky

You are perfectly fine putting a CAI and Catback exhaust on... don't believe me.. ask your dealer...:thumbsup:

WongBob 01-12-2010 08:14 AM

If the dealer goes by the book... I was mostly correct. If you know someone... you are good, unless GM sends a rep to take a look. I was a tech for a long while so I do know some of the ins and outs with GM...

TommyTSquared 01-12-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shad2009 (Post 1372052)
nobody...?

You posted at 5:56am. Most of us were having dreams at this hour about doing dirty things to our cars. :emoticon9:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

"Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage."

gjordon 01-12-2010 12:30 PM

Don't expect the "Magnuson-Moss Act" to protect you. That has been discussed extensively. Bottom line is GM is bigger than any of us and *IF* they decide to not honor a particular warranty repair, you can bet they have their ducks in a row.

Best advice I would say is be upfront with your service manager and tell him what you are planning and get his input.

Trying in any way to deceive the dealer you're most likely going to lose in the long run.

Wileytrigger21 01-12-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTSquared (Post 1372147)
You posted at 5:56am. Most of us were having dreams at this hour about doing dirty things to our cars. :emoticon9:

:laughabove::laughabove::laughabove:

Nicholas 01-12-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WongBob (Post 1372076)

WRONG :bs:...Dont hide anything.. its called footprints and a 2nd ECM is very detectable..:emoticon11:

Screaminz2002 01-12-2010 05:42 PM

Went by and asked my dealer about after market boltons. They told me anything besides GM after market could void the warranty. They also said its not their choice and GM can choose to investigate any claim. I specifically asked that a cai would void the drivetrain warranty and the answer was if GM chose to investigate then they certainly can. They also agreed it was more due to selling parts then the extra HP.

shad2009 01-12-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTSquared (Post 1372147)

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

"Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage."

the only reason i said "nobody..." was because i saw other threads being replied to, so u can chill:rolleyes:

thanx for all the info guys

RedJewel2SS 01-12-2010 09:33 PM

1. they cannot void the warranty unless the modification is the DIRECT cause of the problem.

2. the ECM does not track if you tune the car or not... just get a handheld to revert back to stock, or get it dyno tuned locally and see if they will reflash to stock for free for warranty work.

3. the only mods that have a chance of voiding the warranty if something fails is turbos and superchargers and definitely nitrous!

TommyTSquared 01-12-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS (Post 1375193)
1. they cannot void the warranty unless the modification is the DIRECT cause of the problem.

2. the ECM does not track if you tune the car or not... just get a handheld to revert back to stock, or get it dyno tuned locally and see if they will reflash to stock for free for warranty work.

3. the only mods that have a chance of voiding the warranty if something fails is turbos and superchargers and definitely nitrous!

:popcorn: