Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - California (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   California, What can we do that's actually legal (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78617)

Maurdib 04-20-2010 12:14 PM

California, What can we do that's actually legal

Everytime I here of something cool to do to get some better performance I keep getting hit by California only laws. We can we actually do in this state to upgrade our cars?

brandotron 04-20-2010 12:17 PM

Cams, heads, shorty headers, catback exhaust, bore/stroke, supercharger...there's a lot we can do.

t_long927 04-20-2010 12:31 PM

I have been in the automotive industry all of my life. Even worked at a smog station. You can really do anything you want. The state does require a C.A.R.B. EO # ( executive number ) stating that the B.A.R. has inspected the device and it will not effect the emisions output of that vehicle/motor. Now the difference in price between a "CARB" legal and illegal product is huge. For instance say you want a maggie and the whole kit is 5 grand. Well it may be as much as 7-8 grand for a legal maggie. Stick with you Bigger brands like edlebrock, Crank, etc. If you have anymore questions you can go on the BAR.ca.gov website and check out if a part is legal on your car or not. Also remember you do not have to smog your car for another 4-5 years. So whatever you do will not be seen until that smog is needed. OR a dick cop pops your hood. But they do not always know what to look for. Hell for all they know that beautiful chrom Maggie was stock on a 2010 Camaro SS :sm0: :sm0: :sm0: :sm0:
But rest asure I have been in your shoes and I do think some of these "LAWS" are a bit on the BS side.- Long Live the CAMARO :headbang:

SDCamaro10 04-20-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_long927 (Post 1744093)
I have been in the automotive industry all of my life. Even worked at a smog station. You can really do anything you want. The state does require a C.A.R.B. EO # ( executive number ) stating that the B.A.R. has inspected the device and it will not effect the emisions output of that vehicle/motor. Now the difference in price between a "CARB" legal and illegal product is huge. For instance say you want a maggie and the whole kit is 5 grand. Well it may be as much as 7-8 grand for a legal maggie. Stick with you Bigger brands like edlebrock, Crank, etc. If you have anymore questions you can go on the BAR.ca.gov website and check out if a part is legal on your car or not. Also remember you do not have to smog your car for another 4-5 years. So whatever you do will not be seen until that smog is needed. OR a dick cop pops your hood. But they do not always know what to look for. Hell for all they know that beautiful chrom Maggie was stock on a 2010 Camaro SS :sm0: :sm0: :sm0: :sm0:
But rest asure I have been in your shoes and I do think some of these "LAWS" are a bit on the BS side.- Long Live the CAMARO :headbang:

Correct. there are a ton of things we can do, but be damn sure you have the CARB numbers. Without them, your car can be impounded and you can be ticketed.

Michael_Js 04-20-2010 01:01 PM

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

;)

motorhead 04-20-2010 01:09 PM

I heard that they even tax farmers for cows farting. Is that true?:laugh:

Maurdib 04-20-2010 01:11 PM

Thanks my Cali brotheren, I was getting worried, and was just going to consetrate on making it look fast vs actually being fast

ffrcobra_65 04-20-2010 04:06 PM

You live in KALIFORNIA. Enjoy the year round driving season, stop complaining and just keep paying your taxes. Where do you think you are, Wisconsin? ;) You are lucky you don't get a ticket for posting such stuff. ;)

H3LLJumper 04-21-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 (Post 1745116)
You live in KALIFORNIA. Enjoy the year round driving season, stop complaining and just keep paying your taxes. Where do you think you are, Wisconsin? ;) You are lucky you don't get a ticket for posting such stuff. ;)

fail

SDCamaro10 04-21-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

I fail to understand the relevance?

Michael_Js 04-21-2010 10:51 AM

Does anyone know if the ADM Street CAI is CARB approved? I sent a PM to Andy yesterday and also searched the ARB database (not there). No sticker on it either - that I am aware of ;(

Oh, and living in CA doesn't waive the right to mods...other than CARB - meaning, too bad because it's beautiful most of the time here. And YOU even are in CA!! What's up with that??

brandotron 04-21-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

loopback 04-21-2010 03:16 PM

What about a list of whats the most we could do for both Legal AND keep the warranty?
Shorties, CatBack...

Maurdib 04-21-2010 03:37 PM

I was thinking intially of CAI, LT Headers(OUT), Highflow Cat(Most likely OUT), and a Catback. With a tune I figured I'd be good

Milk 1027 04-21-2010 04:53 PM

Soon I'll be adding a C.A.R.B legal tag to all the mods on the list that are legal.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723

radz28 04-21-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandotron (Post 1744026)
Cams, heads, shorty headers, catback exhaust, bore/stroke, supercharger...there's a lot we can do.

I have not seen ANY cams that are CARB-legal... I suppose you could do an OEM grind, like an LS7 or LS6 (if you had the older heads) but I haven't seen any CARB-legal cam grinds out there. There are supposed "cheater" cams out there, but I don't know that they have the correct split to work with the rectagular-style heads.

If you ask me, I'd add a CARB-legal SC and pulley-up!!! CAIs are different, because I know I've seen only one, so far, with CARB numbers (though I don't recall which it was - probably K&N or AEM or something...), but the smog ref' never asked where the numbers were for my lid on my old '02. That's an actual BAR ref', but I don't know if he just didn't think about it, or he knew it wouldn't change anything. :iono:

Quote:

WTF? lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by loopback (Post 1749854)
What about a list of whats the most we could do for both Legal AND keep the warranty?
Shorties, CatBack...

You'd think you could find something, but there's no resource.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 1750326)
Soon I'll be adding a C.A.R.B legal tag to all the mods on the list that are legal.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723

I, too, thought about this, but I haven't seen anything in the database that has anything newer than like 2006. Hell - I didn't even find the number MAgnuson acquired for their 2300! I've been meaning to call BAR back to see if there's another on-line resource, but the one I kee running into is rubbish.

RPM Motors 04-23-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurdib (Post 1744012)
Everytime I here of something cool to do to get some better performance I keep getting hit by California only laws. We can we actually do in this state to upgrade our cars?

You have many, many options - You are so close to us...stop by and we will show you the options.

SILVER BULLITT 05-19-2010 02:35 PM

who cares whats legal and not you only live once do what you want and if you get a fix it ticket ....... fix it and put it right back !!!!lol

Ryne @ CMS 05-27-2010 04:13 PM

lot of options for keeping it legal.... give us a call we can run some ideas by you

sav1 05-28-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurdib (Post 1749945)
I was thinking intially of CAI, LT Headers(OUT), Highflow Cat(Most likely OUT), and a Catback. With a tune I figured I'd be good

Do you know any police officers? most of them could care LESS that you have longtube headers, let alone even knowing what they are or how to detect them. I have been driving around california with everything you said is "out" for 10,000 miles now. If some jack off rookie cop writes a ticket.. I have my friend sign off on it... if you dont know an officer, you put the LEGAL part back on, and have an officer sign off on it. Real easy.. Now go out and buy what you want and stop worring about these laws.

radz28 05-28-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sav1 (Post 1914575)
Do you know any police officers? most of them could care LESS that you have longtube headers, let alone even knowing what they are or how to detect them. I have been driving around california with everything you said is "out" for 10,000 miles now. If some jack off rookie cop writes a ticket.. I have my friend sign off on it... if you dont know an officer, you put the LEGAL part back on, and have an officer sign off on it. Real easy.. Now go out and buy what you want and stop worring about these laws.

If you get a ticket for LTs, or a illegal part, it can be a non-correctable violation, which means technically, if you drive it around before being corrected, you can get another bigger ticket. You can take it to a BAR Ref', for a test, but it's not necessary. Still, the fine can go up to $250, and I was never able to get a clear understanding if the car could be confiscated for driving without corrections but I know first hand. If you get a non-correctable ticket, it can't be signed off.

RichieRich 05-28-2010 10:21 AM

Just in case (if you can) keep you original parts to put back on.

radz28 05-28-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieRich (Post 1915517)
Just in case (if you can) keep you original parts to put back on.

DO IT :)

SILVER BULLITT 05-28-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 1915304)
If you get a ticket for LTs, or a illegal part, it can be a non-correctable violation, which means technically, if you drive it around before being corrected, you can get another bigger ticket. You can take it to a BAR Ref', for a test, but it's not necessary. Still, the fine can go up to $250, and I was never able to get a clear understanding if the car could be confiscated for driving without corrections but I know first hand. If you get a non-correctable ticket, it can't be signed off.

Its all in who you know
:thumbsup:

radz28 05-28-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SILVER BULLITT (Post 1916792)
Its all in who you know
:thumbsup:

If you can get out of what I'd gotten with your statement :bow:

sav1 05-29-2010 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 1915304)

I can handle a $250 ticket. i do have all of my stock parts which I could put back on. This state has so many other issues to worry about then me having longtube headers and a high flow cat.