Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How Bulletproof should the SS 6-Speed Drivetrain Be? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18438)

M3 04-13-2009 12:38 PM

How Bulletproof should the SS 6-Speed Drivetrain Be?

I'm a noob, contemplating a Camaro. Have been looking at Challengers, and, I've heard good things about the Camaro SS, so, I'm checking it out.

I know about the Holden Platform that it's built on, and how well regarded it is. My question is regarding the entire Drivetrain. I'm not the type that wails on my Cars, but, I do put them thru the paces.

How tough is the 6-Speed, and the Independent Rear Axle, and all associated hardware? The Engine I'm assuming is pretty much bulletproof, what with Chevrolet's reputation for small block V8's.

What's routine maintinence on the 6-speed and the rear diff?

Thanks;

LJB

Douge 04-13-2009 12:49 PM

Not to be captain obvious but it is essentially the same drivetrain as the Corvette. They are pretty rugged as the Corvette guys hammer on them pretty hard. Chevy trucks with small blocks go and go and go so I assume if you wanted to 250K is a pretty reasonable mileage goal for a Camaro. That would be my expectation.

Mr. Wyndham 04-13-2009 12:49 PM

The powertrain is pretty much right out of the Corvette; engine and transmission both...And the rear-end has been said to be good to 650hp.

I think "bulletproof" would be an understatement. ;)

EDIT -- they did drive the test cars to 200,000+ miles...and they were still willing to go more. :chevy:

M3 04-13-2009 12:55 PM

What do you think Routine Maintinence on the 6-Speed Manual Trans & the Rear Diff is?

LJB

Douge 04-13-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3 (Post 402695)
What do you think Routine Maintinence on the 6-Speed Manual Trans & the Rear Diff is?

LJB

Personally I would service the trans fluid at 60K ish although I can't tell you what GM recommends, might be lifetime fluid but I wouldn't buy that unless you are not keeping it more than a couple years.

I would expect the clutch to go 60-90K though I have heard much less and much more.

Mr. Wyndham 04-13-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3 (Post 402695)

LJB

None. Admittedly, I don't have much experience with rear-ends...but as for the transmission -- this is straight from General Motors:

Quote:

The 6-speed uses Texaco ATF Type III 1863 fluid and is certified "fill-for-life," requiring no fluid changes. The clutch is activated hydraulically, which automatically compensates for clutch disc wear, eliminating manual adjustments. The Tremec TR6060 six-speed has evolved from a design that aimed to require virtually no maintenance in all but the most severe conditions.

M3 04-13-2009 01:07 PM

Does the Trans have a Dipstick & a Drain in the Pan?

LJB

TT C6 04-13-2009 01:22 PM

I would say the drivetrain is as close to bulletproof as a stock drivetrain gets.

Below is for the modders:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 402677)
The powertrain is pretty much right out of the Corvette; engine and transmission both...
I think "bulletproof" would be an understatement.

You guys are forgetting a MAJOR issue......WEIGHT.

The C6 weighs in around 3,200 lbs.
The Camaro SS is over 3,900lbs.
So, maybe the Corvette is "bulletproof". BUT, the Camaro SS is still unproven.

Case in point, look at how the "Corvette" drivetrain is holding up in the Trailblazer SS. The auto trans (sprag) has been a issue in the STOCK TBSS.

Number 3 04-13-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT C6 (Post 402749)
You guys are forgetting a MAJOR issue......WEIGHT.

The C6 weighs in around 3,200 lbs.
The Camaro SS is over 3,900lbs.
So, maybe the Corvette is "bulletproof". but the Camaro needs to be proven.

Case in point, look at how the "Corvette" drivetrain is holding up in the Trailblazer SS. The auto trans (sprag) has been a issue in the STOCK TBSS.

4 Speed in the Trailblazer, new 6 speed in the Camaro.

TT C6 04-13-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 402754)
4 Speed in the Trailblazer, new 6 speed in the Camaro.

I know, bro.:)
But, you should know that was the Corvette trans until 2006.
I only used it as an example for Corvette drivetrain in a heavier vehicle.

Chevyrocker 04-13-2009 02:21 PM

***Fill for life translates to 100,000 miles...FYI

etrigan 04-13-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douge (Post 402706)
Personally I would service the trans fluid at 60K ish although I can't tell you what GM recommends, might be lifetime fluid but I wouldn't buy that unless you are not keeping it more than a couple years.

I would expect the clutch to go 60-90K though I have heard much less and much more.

Transmission fluid in a manual transmission? Really?

CDBiker220 04-13-2009 02:33 PM

The transmission is rated to 650 ftlbs of torque, so I think its good for awhile, the IRS still needs to be proven but like stated will probably be good till 600ish hp

M3 04-13-2009 03:06 PM

Sounds like they're pretty overbuilt.

Good. I Like Overkill. Hence, I'm looking at a Camaro SS...

LJB