Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   2012 Camaro ZL1 Owners Manual (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200828)

gbosh 02-08-2012 04:48 AM

ZL1=Auto transmission=many left-out options! For one thing it does not have launch control,next it doesn't have the ability to shift to 1st after the first start and after that it starts out in 2nd. Replace the hard to reach buttons with paddles cause those buttons are harder than hell to find when turning the wheel! I'm surprised the test drivers have not complained about the little buttons when going around a corner!
This auto transmission deal looks like it was taken out of a truck and just slapped in the car just so it could be sold with an auto trans. My opinion Chevy screwed up this option
and needs to reprogram the computer to down shift too 1st in setting 5.

htron50 02-08-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbosh (Post 4448509)
ZL1=Auto transmission=many left-out options! For one thing it does not have launch control,next it doesn't have the ability to shift to 1st after the first start and after that it starts out in 2nd. Replace the hard to reach buttons with paddles cause those buttons are harder than hell to find when turning the wheel! I'm surprised the test drivers have not complained about the little buttons when going around a corner!
This auto transmission deal looks like it was taken out of a truck and just slapped in the car just so it could be sold with an auto trans. My opinion Chevy screwed up this option
and needs to reprogram the computer to down shift too 1st in setting 5.

You know there are NO SHIFT BUTTONS on the ZL1 - it has Shift Paddles. And, the transmission (A6) has been tricked out to stay in the torque RPM range automatically when slowing down so there is no delay. I LIKE IT!

LAWMAN 02-08-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 4447500)
From 9-38...;)

This message will come on when:
The engine coolant temperature
is higher than 76°C (169°F).
The vehicle is accelerating from
a stop and going 24 to 31 km/h
(15 to 19 mph).
The vehicle is at 21 percent
throttle or less.

And you don't have to remember...it won't let you. It physically locks out 2 & 3rd gears.

same as the manual "ss"...un less you have it tuned (like mine) and it turns that aspect off,

wadew2lt 02-08-2012 08:09 AM

I'm with you Blake. I would love to see some firmware additions. I got a few ideas myself.

wadew2lt 02-08-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 4443895)
ZL1 Owner's Manual (PDF)

Download link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...3&d=1328642737

Thanks ShnOmac. I'll have this on the night stand. (Maybe even the coffee table-lol) Can't wait to read it through.

2010SLVRBULIT 02-08-2012 10:58 AM

you know it's desperation when the ZL-1 manual makes the cover.:facepalm:

Leviser 02-08-2012 01:52 PM

So I was curious about cleaning due to the air extractor. And I found This on section 10-98. 'Protecting Exterior Bright Metal Parts
Regularly clean bright metal parts with water or chrome polish on chrome or stainless steel trim,
if necessary.'

Is this just a general statement. Because the only stainless steel part on the car was on the Carbon fiber edition spoiler? With everything I have been reading about gm trying to get more carbon fiber parts main stream on more of their vehicles. I am really hoping the carbon fiber edition comes out.

Mr. Wyndham 02-09-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviser (Post 4450659)
So I was curious about cleaning due to the air extractor. And I found This on section 10-98. 'Protecting Exterior Bright Metal Parts
Regularly clean bright metal parts with water or chrome polish on chrome or stainless steel trim,
if necessary.'

Is this just a general statement. Because the only stainless steel part on the car was on the Carbon fiber edition spoiler? With everything I have been reading about gm trying to get more carbon fiber parts main stream on more of their vehicles. I am really hoping the carbon fiber edition comes out.

The exhaust tips are also stainless steel. :thumbsup:

GM4lyfe 02-10-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexcfwu (Post 4447433)
On page 9-37, I wonder under what condition is the first to fourth gear shifting required? I wonder if I could even remember to do that... :laugh:

I hardly saw mine in the GTO when it was enabled. GM introduced it in the late 80's or early 90's under CAGS or Skip Shift.

stymie 02-10-2012 12:08 PM

There are aftermarket kits available to defeat "skip-shift" for around $30.

bobmac427 02-18-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie (Post 4462629)
There are aftermarket kits available to defeat "skip-shift" for around $30.

On my Z06 when we re-tuned the computer we programmed out the skip shift. So you have a couple of options.

Then again, if you're driving the ZL1 slow enough to have the 1-4 skip shift to kick in, maybe you should be driving a Toyota! :sm0:

OVRKLL 03-06-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htron50 (Post 4448566)
You know there are NO SHIFT BUTTONS on the ZL1 - it has Shift Paddles. And, the transmission (A6) has been tricked out to stay in the torque RPM range automatically when slowing down so there is no delay. I LIKE IT!

So does this mean you CAN shift to first if RPM/Road speed is adequate to do so?
I'm very interested to know what the auto trans can and cannot do, since I'll probably be ordering an auto trans...only because the wife needs to drive it too, and traffic here is horrendous to say the least.

Any other quirks from the auto trans...lag time in shifting Up/Down?
Does the computer blip the throttle when downshifting?

Thanks!

LS1 Fun 12-12-2012 05:26 PM

2013 ZL1 Owners Manual

Just for those that came in here looking for this. Saves a google search!

ZL1-V 12-26-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVRKLL (Post 4597755)
So does this mean you CAN shift to first if RPM/Road speed is adequate to do so?
I'm very interested to know what the auto trans can and cannot do, since I'll probably be ordering an auto trans...only because the wife needs to drive it too, and traffic here is horrendous to say the least.

Any other quirks from the auto trans...lag time in shifting Up/Down?
Does the computer blip the throttle when downshifting?

Thanks!

One of the reasons I ended up buying a ZL1 is when we were vacationing in Maui the rental car company gave us a free upgrade to a convertible Camaro. I discovered while playing with the paddles and downshiting that it did automatically "blip the throttle" which was fun watching the reaction on peoples faces.