Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Shorty Headers.... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10580)

blckWS6TA 12-13-2008 08:54 PM

Shorty Headers....

I am waiting to order my Camaro until they have this priced, unless they don't get it priced by Dec. 31. Any idea on about how much this option will be?

I know a lot of you will say the shorty's won't add much, but correct me if I am wrong here, If I go out and put on LT's my warranty is toast. Not worth that IMO.

CamaroSpike23 12-13-2008 09:04 PM

$635.79

and you still have to wait for LT's to be available before worrying about the warranty.

TAG UR IT 12-14-2008 01:50 AM

I'd rather go w/ some LT's.

TheClassicCarKid 12-14-2008 01:58 AM

how much more power do you get out of the LT's?

TAG UR IT 12-14-2008 02:10 AM

between 30-40hp. that's the usual guesstimate from most companies.

TheClassicCarKid 12-14-2008 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 216596)

Jeez I I didn't think it would be that high.
Wow that's definitely worth it, I'll be looking into long tubes.

And to the OP, you could just order your car without the shorties and if you feel like they're worth it, buy them and have them installed at another time.

nUcLeArEnVoY 12-14-2008 11:03 AM

I don't think the warranty voids from the installation of longtubes. It's not like they are an internal engine mod. And God knows Kooks will be allover this car, they've made an outstanding set for the C6.

franknbeans 12-14-2008 11:23 AM

just my word of advice people and past experience with the srt-4. . . As most of you know the Srt-4 was a highly modified-able car. . . the "law" says that there has to be prof your modification caused the failure (what ever that may be.) This doesn't mean that it alway goes that way. . . There's been several cases where some one put a blow of valve on their ride and the tranny went out. . . Not even close to being related and the dealership voided the warranty. . or when they have a stage kit (off road use only) and the tranny went out... warranty voided. .

With the financial situation GM is in right now, I can see many warranty reps voiding warranties for little reason just so they don't have to pay.

this is just my speculation and past experience. . . take what you want from it.

VICTORY RED 1SS 12-14-2008 11:30 AM

I'm removing the cats as soon as I get it home..after a little drive that is....
LT's are definately the way to go. I hope they are available by the time we get our cars..I'd think that GM is sending out a few cars to various aftermarket companies as we speak.

zebra 12-14-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VICTORY RED 1SS (Post 216707)
I'm removing the cats as soon as I get it home..after a little drive that is....
LT's are definately the way to go. I hope they are available by the time we get our cars..I'd think that GM is sending out a few cars to various aftermarket companies as we speak.

you'd be better off getting high-flow cats. many cars now (especially performance cars) are being engineered & tuned to run better with cats in place (due to all the EPA restrictions in place) i've heard of guys cutting the cats off their vettes & fbodies and actually losing a little power. can't say for sure with this car 'cause it ain't out yet, but that's my guess.

CamaroSpike23 12-14-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

over STOCK. and of course most companies exagerrate things just a smidge... like vette owners and the size of their *****

Quote:

Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY (Post 216695)
I don't think the warranty voids from the installation of longtubes. It's not like they are an internal engine mod. And God knows Kooks will be allover this car, they've made an outstanding set for the C6.

shouldnt void your warranty, but might cause some problems if you deal with an emissions state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra (Post 216744)
you'd be better off getting high-flow cats. many cars now (especially performance cars) are being engineered & tuned to run better with cats in place (due to all the EPA restrictions in place) i've heard of guys cutting the cats off their vettes & fbodies and actually losing a little power. can't say for sure with this car 'cause it ain't out yet, but that's my guess.

long tubes and high flow cats. more power and legal at the same time.

camaro5 12-14-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 216855)
over STOCK. and of course most companies exagerrate things just a smidge... like vette owners and the size of their *****

WHAT?

shouldnt void your warranty, but might cause some problems if you deal with an emissions state.

Kooks is super! Also costly, but worth it.

long tubes and high flow cats. more power and legal at the same time.

yes :thumbsup:

99SSragtop 12-14-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

:happyanim::paddle::bellyroll::laugh:
In your dreams. Sorry bud.

TAG UR IT 12-15-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

"usual"
"guesstimate"
"most"

now....let me do a quick google search...

Oh look....SLP long tubes for an LS3...
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/slp-c6zo6-headers.html
SLP 4-2-1 Z06 Corvette long tube headers feature:

* 4-2-1 into 3" collectors, featuring 1-3/4" equal-length primaries.
* All mandrel bent stainless steel construction to maximize flow.
* +30 HP and +30 ft-lbs RWHP gain over stock system (with SLP programmer).
(might be with a programmer, but all the same...)
* +5 HP and +4 ft-lbs over "popular 1-7/8" design.
* Polished aluminum-ceramic thermal-barrier coating (interior and exterior surfaces) to keep heat in, exhaust velocity up, and under-hood temperatures down.
* 200 Cell Per Inch High-Flow Cats for unrestricted exhaust flow.
* Complete bolt-on installation, bolts directly to factory exhaust system, (no welding required).
* Are covered by SLP's Performance Guarantee and Lifetime Warranty.

------------------------------------------

Build power in your new C6 Corvette with SLP's new Long-Tube Headers. Their engineers designed these for the biggest horsepower gain possible from the LS2 engine. You can add up to 30 horsepower depending on your application. SLP's headers are precision bent on CNC bending equipment from stainless steel and feature 1-3/4 inch primary tubes flowing into 2.5" venturi collectors. They’re fully compatible with all stock emissions-control equipment and use OEM flanges for a perfect fit and proper bolt retention. Limited Lifetime Warranty.

-------------------------------------------

http://www.cincyperformancestore.com/lg-c6pro.html
LG Pro Longtubes...
"30+ HP/TQ Gains"

------------------------------------------

http://www.lsxtv.com/forum/kooks-ls3...-test-559.html
Vehicle: 2008 LS3 Corvette 6-Speed
Headers: Kooks 1-7/8-inch LS3 Long Tube Headers w/3-inch Collectors
X-Pipe: Kooks Catted X-Crossover System, 3-inch x 3-inch
Mufflers: Corsa Performance 3-inch Z06, Dual Rear Exit Quad 4.0" Pro-Series Tips
(yes, there was other stuff added to this as well)

-----------------------------------------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-Co...1247QQcategory
Z33631QQihZ016QQitemZ260214504620QQrdZ1QQsspagenam eZWD1V

Stainless works...29RWHP...

-----------------------------------------

This doesn't apply, but I found it and thought it was cool...lol...
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...lip-12827.html
cam, long tubes, pully, k&n, pulling 506 RWHP! Noice!!!

----------------------------------------

ok...i'm having fun with this now....
my initial reaction..."HOLY GOD..."
oops...wrong vid posted initially....sorry

----------------------------------------

Ok...I"m done. LS1 always showed a 30 to 40 hp gain in all advertisements. I carried that over for the LS3. So far, the "documented" #'s I have seen have mostly shown 30hp.

Now....the better question is....

What kind of gains can you expect from shorties ALONE...???....????