Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   JBA Hi-Flow Cats / Midpipes CEL (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100279)

Diesel Don 08-12-2010 09:55 PM

JBA Hi-Flow Cats / Midpipes CEL

Strangely enough I just got a CEL on my otherwise stock SS---~500 or so miles after installing the JBA midpipes. :facepalm:

P0430 - Catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank 2)
- Looks like it threw the same code twice at the same time (if possible?)

Now I don't know what to do.

1. Go through the hassle of putting the stockers back on; and lose all of the sound (which kicks ass), and the performance (which was a BIG gain).
2. Get a tune. Which means I lose my warranty which I really need because I want them to fix my piss-poor clutch and horrible rear diff noise (low speed turns).
3. Ignore the light / reset it every Xxxmiles. (Warranty questionable)

Input? No one else having this problem yet? I bought these cats thinking that several members had more miles than this with no CEL.

Thanks
:chevy:

ducq 08-12-2010 10:38 PM

had mine on for over 1,200 with plenty of hard accelerations. Also had borla s type and c.a.I. No tune, no CEL yet. Sounds meaner than ever, ordering jba shortys in a week. I'll report to the forums how that goes.

Diesel Don 08-12-2010 11:28 PM

See that's what is driving me crazy. I can't find ANYONE with this problem so far. What the heck?

:help:
1. Is it possible that I installed them improperly?
2. Could it be a defective set?
3. Are California-purchased Camaros different in any way regarding emissions, ECM programming, etc.? I hate CA btw...
4. My car was purchased at the end of August 2009, so i guess it is fairly early number car. Are there any ECM updates that a dealer could do? (semi-unrelated question) My dealership really sucks and no one there knows anything about anything. Like really worthless.

A couple of other unrelated notes:
a. buyjba.com is great. I ordered from them on a Friday late at night thinking they would take a week to get to me. I get a call on Sunday from them saying that they are local and would drop them off I'd like. Great service, awesome price.

b. I am going to try to contact JBA tommorow. I think they are somewhere here in California. I will also say I was somewhat concerned when I saw that the box said made in mexico, because I was under the impression that they were manufactured here in California. My midpipes had pretty bad burrs in the I.D. of the flanges, and the back o2 sensor bung locations puts the o2 sensors VERY close to the transmission. So I'm not sure I'm really thrilled with the fit and finish-related quality of the product.

Seriously any input would be great.

LosXC451 08-12-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Don (Post 2213999)
See that's what is driving me crazy. I can't find ANYONE with this problem so far. What the heck?

:help:
1. Is it possible that I installed them improperly?
2. Could it be a defective set?
3. Are California-purchased Camaros different in any way regarding emissions, ECM programming, etc.? I hate CA btw...
4. My car was purchased at the end of August 2009, so i guess it is fairly early number car. Are there any ECM updates that a dealer could do? (semi-unrelated question) My dealership really sucks and no one there knows anything about anything. Like really worthless.

A couple of other unrelated notes:
a. buyjba.com is great. I ordered from them on a Friday late at night thinking they would take a week to get to me. I get a call on Sunday from them saying that they are local and would drop them off I'd like. Great service, awesome price.

b. I am going to try to contact JBA tommorow. I think they are somewhere here in California. I will also say I was somewhat concerned when I saw that the box said made in mexico, because I was under the impression that they were manufactured here in California. My midpipes had pretty bad burrs in the I.D. of the flanges, and the back o2 sensor bung locations puts the o2 sensors VERY close to the transmission. So I'm not sure I'm really thrilled with the fit and finish-related quality of the product.

Seriously any input would be great.

Most likely number 1, try maybe taking a look under the car to see that everything on right

Diesel Don 08-12-2010 11:55 PM

I'm going to take a look this weekend. It was pretty straightforward however. The only think I was worried about AT ALL was that the exhaust manifold-to-midpipe connection could possibly leak due to: a) somewhat questionable fit and b) their crap nut-and-bolt design on the flanges. Man was that a pain in the ASS! Why couldn't they just put a stud on there? I know this has been observed by others on here....

So then do you think that if lets say that connection has a little leak (which I have no evidence at this time that it does) that could cause the code I have? i.e. cat efficiency below threshold?

edit: I put a small amount of nickel anti-seize in all the bosses for the o2's. I suppose there is the possibility of a minuscule amount of that stuff getting on to the actual sniffer part of the sensor, although I consciously and actively tried to avoid that from happening.

Hicompression 08-13-2010 07:35 AM

I've had my JBA midpipes on probably the longest of anyone on this site. I have never popped any CEL codes. I agree that the fitment is not that great with these pipes. I too noticed that they were made in Mexico. I also worried that the driver's side midpipe would not seal at the coupler clamp because it was shorter than the stock pipe (I just split the difference with the clamp).

In addition, one thing I never mentioned in my original thread is that I had huge hanging chads inside the O2 sensor bung-holes (sorry I'm laughing as I write that :laugh:) when I first got the pipes. These chads were due to the drilling of the pipe to put the bung in. I managed to wiggle them back and forth in the bung-hole :) with my pinky until they broke off.

Anyway...I ditched the grade 5 crap hardware that came with the midpipes and went out and bought some grade 8 flange head bolts, nuts and washers at the hardware store. I've never had a leak.

I'm thinking you may have a leak somewhere causing the code. As long as you put the nickel anti-seize on the threads of the bung-hole :) or sensor and not on the O2 sensor itself, you should be fine. I used nickel anti-seize too.

ZuluKilla8 08-13-2010 08:23 AM

My JBA threw a code with in 50 miles...i emailed JBA and they DO have great service...ended up having to take them off and sell them on here...I had a different code though...my electric cut outs are right near the rear O2 sensor...the extra flow from the JBAs and the extra O2 it was reading from the cut outs were causing it to throw the lean code. But JBA got back to me through E Mail on a Saturday within an hour giving me ideas of what it could be and even looking up a certified or known JBA installer in the NJ area, so A+ for them on their half!!

2010 4 DW 08-13-2010 09:37 AM

I would clear the code and see if it comes back. I had a CEL when I first put them on as I did not disconnect the battery when I installed. Never had a cell after that for 2500 miles.

DW

Inferno2SS 08-13-2010 10:27 AM

I have around 600 miles on my JBA and no issue with a CEL coming up.

Rick2010 08-13-2010 10:39 AM

First.....
I love JBA!!! The shortys and the 3" cat back are unbelieveable.....but...
I think the Solo Cats are built better...02 placement is like stock....
and made in Buffalo NY....only reason I did not do JBA Cats...

Hicompression 08-13-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndeedSS (Post 2214767)
If you don't find any issue with the installation, you could just buy the O2 extensions from SOLO.:D

Or...save even more money and go down to Autozone and buy a spark plug anti-fouler and use it instead. :)

MaroSS 08-13-2010 11:56 AM

Same here no codes with my High Flow Cats and I also have Noweeds Diverters and no Tune. The fitment is horrible tho but in your case i think you should put back on the stock cats and see what happens.

ArkySS 08-13-2010 02:01 PM

Take them off and send them to me....