Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Group Buy for Optic Armor Glass (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300817)

Doc 06-08-2013 11:33 PM

Group Buy for Optic Armor Glass

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in contact with Jim at Optic Armor (they make polycarbonate windows for racing):

http://www.opticarmorwindows.com/index.htm

And he said if we can get at least 10 buyers we'll get a 10% discount as a group buy.

Here's the chart that fits the 5th gen:

Attachment 520995

The factory glass thickness is 3/16". These windows save at least half the weight compared to the factory glass and they are a direct drop-in replacement. They're also 250x stronger than the factory glass. Just as an example the Optic Armor front window at 3/16" weighs only 11 lbs and the rear window in the same thickness weighs 6 lbs. If you just replace those two windows you'll save 27 lbs compared to the factory glass.

However take note that the Optic Armor rear glass does NOT have the rear window defogger grid nor the AM/FM radio antenna in it. I'm planning on replacing the front, both doors and quarter panel windows, but I'm leaving the rear window stock to keep the defogger and radio antenna. Jim said replacing what I'm planning should save at least 50 lbs.

Why would I want to do this? Well obviously removing 50+ lbs from the car helps; lighter is faster. However removing the weight this high up on the car also has the added benefit of lowering the center-of-gravity for the whole car which helps cornering by reducing body roll; keeps the car flatter through the curves. This will benefit anybody who races in autocross or road course, and the simple reduction of weight will also help anyone drag racing.

Let me know if you're interested!

1. Snickerdoodle
2. Woodside783
3. Ayousef
4. kenkartasasmita
5. battlekat
6. Diamondmike
7. FosterSS

chicagobulls 06-09-2013 01:15 AM

Dang 50 lbs for a grand. ..........

Doc 06-09-2013 09:45 AM

Well guys sit there burning away hundreds of dollars smoking their expensive tires just for laughs so to me this is a much more useful way to spend that money. It also has the benefit of being 250x stronger so it would be MUCH harder for thieves to break the window glass and get into the car.

pannhead51 06-09-2013 09:48 AM

If it were bullet-proof and I was going to Mexico.:confused0068:

chicagobulls 06-09-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6648380)
Well guys sit there burning away hundreds of dollars smoking their expensive tires just for laughs so to me this is a much more useful way to spend that money. It also has the benefit of being 250% stronger so it would be MUCH harder for thieves to break the window glass and get into the car.

Agreed my man.

But the glass is thinner so the increase in strength means it is as strong as the stock glass I think. ..

if I hit it witha hammer it will break lol

Doc 06-09-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagobulls (Post 6648483)
Agreed my man.

But the glass is thinner so the increase in strength means it is as strong as the stock glass I think. ..

if I hit it witha hammer it will break lol

No the factory glass is 3/16 so the same thickness Optic Armor is 250x stronger.

kjkjr27 06-09-2013 02:41 PM

Nice, even with the 10% discount I wouldn't be able to avoid it :/

But sub. never know what might happen.

CHMSC 06-09-2013 03:20 PM

Doc will the windshield work with the HUD??

If so put me on the list, I need a new one. Mine cracked on my way back from big willow last weekend from a rock getting kicked up by a truck.

vroomapunk 06-09-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMSC (Post 6649468)
Doc will the windshield work with the HUD??

If so put me on the list, I need a new one. Mine cracked on my way back from big willow last weekend from a rock getting kicked up by a truck.

Posted in the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk
"AS long as the windshield will work with HUD"

Hey guys sorry for the late respond on this question as Jim had e-mail me the answer last week. (See below)

"Yes it does work it, however because our windows are so clear the HUD reflection will not be as bright."

CHMSC 06-09-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroomapunk (Post 6649656)
Posted in the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk
"AS long as the windshield will work with HUD"

Hey guys sorry for the late respond on this question as Jim had e-mail me the answer last week. (See below)

"Yes it does work it, however because our windows are so clear the HUD reflection will not be as bright."

Cool, nothing a little tint won't fix. Thanks!

Put me on the list Doc for a front windshield.

KlugSS 06-09-2013 04:25 PM

subscribed

CHMSC 06-09-2013 04:36 PM

Also for anyone interested in this think about it. If you need to replace the front windshield it's almost $700 for a new HUD windshield installed. Even if you pay $100 for the install its cheaper and better than going back with a stock one.

The Stig 06-09-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMSC (Post 6649712)
Also for anyone interested in this think about it. If you need to replace the front windshield it's almost $700 for a new HUD windshield installed. Even if you pay $100 for the install its cheaper and better than going back with a stock one.

+1

CausticGuy 06-09-2013 05:09 PM

Is it more or less scratch resistant then glass? Also, can they tint it like factory tinted glass, not just with aftermarket tint?