Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   What's up with tap shifter users (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115221)

fitzi7 11-11-2010 06:51 PM

What's up with tap shifter users

I keep reading post after post about the problem people are having with the tap buttons and where they are located. There is a solution and it his right here in front of you. I purchased the shifter from CFD (found on this website) and you can not believe the difference in my ability to be able to shift under all circumstances no problems. Read the feedback from others not a negative feedback. They may not be fancy but they are effective.

its a syn 11-11-2010 07:01 PM

:iono:

CyberDan 11-12-2010 06:17 PM

:popcorn:

2010 SSRS 11-12-2010 11:14 PM

I have no problem at all with my tapshift, I love it and use it every time I drive my Camaro.

midnighter 11-12-2010 11:17 PM

LS3 here so :iono:, but interesting thread topic nonetheless.

highline 11-29-2010 01:30 PM

subscribed

CFD 11-29-2010 01:40 PM

The op has experienced shifting without chasing buttons.

Warhorse 01-06-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzi7 (Post 2538647)
I keep reading post after post about the problem people are having with the tap buttons and where they are located. There is a solution and it his right here in front of you. I purchased the shifter from CFD (found on this website) and you can not believe the difference in my ability to be able to shift under all circumstances no problems. Read the feedback from others not a negative feedback. They may not be fancy but they are effective.

Where can I find or who can share info about the shifter with tap shift functions on the main shifter? I have been unable to locate info with the search feature. Very interested

CFD 01-06-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhorse (Post 2704498)
Where can I find or who can share info about the shifter with tap shift functions on the main shifter? I have been unable to locate info with the search feature. Very interested

Here ya go, if you follow various links in the thread you will find install instructions and the original version as well

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/v6/misc/paperclip.gif NEW PISTOL GRIP SHIFTER WITH TAP SHIFT

Scott@Bjorn3D 01-07-2011 03:57 AM

You just have to downshift before turn and shift after out of turn. Can't shift during turn. They should of put shifter paddle on the steering column in a stationary position. But I got used to it.

CFD 01-07-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 2705089)
You just have to downshift before turn and shift after out of turn. Can't shift during turn. They should of put shifter paddle on the steering column in a stationary position. But I got used to it.

Here are my thoughts for what it's worth. You can get "used" to the tapshift the way it is and in fact you can get quite good at using them in their current form. You are also correct in that in order to use them to their maximum capabilites you would down shift in and up shift out BUT generally speaking, the computers in your car are quite sophisticated and shift at optimal shift points for all around performance, fuel economy. Now if you pay attention to your car shifting automatically IT DOES NOT WAIT TO SHIFT BECAUSE OF CORNERS. When it is time to shift you shift unless you can't find your buttons so in fact you are not shifting at optimal shift points. When using tap shift on the wheel there are many times you will hold a gear longer than you should or short shift to make up for this design short fall. If they were stationary on the column it would be much better but because of the column's design it is not realistic to attempt to modify them to fit there. I have been in this debate before and some insist they can shift under any circumstances but I beg to differ. Even when using my shifter I find times when I do not shift when I would like to, usually in panic situations where very quick manuvering is critical like when someone cuts you off, at that point to hell with shifting although these situations are far and few between.

hypurone 01-07-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS (Post 2542340)
I have no problem at all with my tapshift, I love it and use it every time I drive my Camaro.

:word: