Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Wtf is going on - car seems 1-2 inches higher after having it on jack stands (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334543)

Msmall143 12-28-2013 03:28 PM

Wtf is going on - car seems 1-2 inches higher after having it on jack stands

I had my car on jack stands to install my air scoop. I placed the jack stands where I read I hear to place them. Deffinitally on the frame.

I just dropped the car and initially noticed a larger wheel gap. Then I realized the front splitter is higher off te ground than normal.

What the hell is going on? Does the car take time to set. It was on jack stands "front only for 4-5 hours.

kjkjr27 12-28-2013 03:33 PM

When you finally drive it it will very quickly move back to its original height. happens to me all the time and when I pull out of the garage it is back to normal.

LS3 SS 12-28-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmall143 (Post 7292341)

I had my car on jack stands to install my air scoop. I placed the jack stands where I read I hear to place them. Deffinitally on the frame.

I just dropped the car and initially noticed a larger wheel gap. Then I realized the front splitter is higher off te ground than normal.

What the hell is going on? Does the car take time to set. It was on jack stands "front only for 4-5 hours.

Once load is placed on the suspension (aka driving the car) it will settle and return to normal height.

Msmall143 12-28-2013 03:58 PM

Cool, I was just going to drive it and see but I didn't have a extension for my torque wrench so I dont have the lugs torqued yet. Just went and bought the .5 inch to .5 inch extension

Thanks for the quick response!

Bo White 12-28-2013 05:49 PM

Once you roll the car it will start to drop back down. The main reason this happens is because when you pick the car off the ground the distance from the right tires to the left tires decrease. When you set the car back down the tires grip the surface and won't slide fully back into its original spots. You can see and hear this happen when you pick the car up and the tires slide across the surface until they don't touch.

Oliv59 12-28-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo White (Post 7292569)
Once you roll the car it will start to drop back down. The main reason this happens is because when you pick the car off the ground the distance from the right tires to the left tires decrease. When you set the car back down the tires grip the surface and won't slide fully back into its original spots. You can see and hear this happen when you pick the car up and the tires slide across the surface until they don't touch.

This!

A little bit disturbing the first time. Like OP mentions it.

Msmall143 12-28-2013 10:55 PM

Well, at least I know what a 2 inch lift kit would look like!

Eddiefuzz 12-29-2013 07:00 PM

Should have told him he was going to have to let some fluid out of his struts..LOL