Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tap Shift Related Questions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81568)

JoeKay 05-05-2010 01:31 PM

Tap Shift Related Questions

Hello All,

I have a few questions all related to Tap Shift (Sport Mode) in the 2SS V8.

1) I noticed I can launch from 3rd gear (from a dead stop). Is the computer supposed to allow this? Can this be harmful to the transmission?

2) Can you shift between 'D' and 'M' (Sport Mode) and vice versa when the car is moving ? If so, are there any speed or load thresholds at which this should not be done?

3) Is AFM (Active Fuel management) present in both modes 'D' and 'M' ? or does it work only in 'D' ?

Thanks in advanced..

Joe

Xp0gam3r 05-05-2010 01:32 PM

I would also like to know if question #2 is allowed as Ihave been shifting from D to M while driving alot

Revo1 05-05-2010 01:39 PM

D to M is fine to do while moving, won't hurt a thing.

The Magic Man 05-05-2010 04:20 PM

So then, I assume going from M to D while moving is harmless?

I use "M" whenever I am first in line at a red light. Light turns green and I punch it but I notice the tranny bypasses 2nd and shifts me into 3rd. Is there a way to avoid this....besides easing up on the accelerator? I just usually down shift back to 2nd, build up my RPM's and shift back to 3rd when I want. I'm not redlining by any means so curious why it shifts itself from 1st to 3rd?

Xander 05-05-2010 04:34 PM

If you use Tap Shift the trans will only downshift to 2nd if the car has a V8.

CamaroSkooter 05-05-2010 04:38 PM

When you place the shifter in 'M' the car is not automatically in Manual mode, it's in Sport mode. Once you hit one of your paddle shifters, it switches to Manual mode. If you get tired of paddle shifting, you can push the shifter back up into 'D' and back into 'M' to go back to Sport mode.

The difference between Sport mode and Drive is that Sport mode has a different set of shift points and is more aggressive in that respect. It will hold a gear a little bit longer on acceleration and downshift quicker during decceleration.

Once you hit the paddle shifter, though, the shifting is totally up to you. Though, if you're in 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th and come to a stop, the car will automatically drop you down into 2nd.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

daddyuhoh 05-05-2010 05:50 PM

CameroSkooter, I can't even believe I didn't know what the m was as I always hit the paddle for the manual mode. I can't wait to try it in just M as you say!!! I appreicate the info, big time!

TonyNo 05-05-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter (Post 1810762)
The difference between Sport mode and Drive is that Sport mode has a different set of shift points and is more aggressive in that respect. It will hold a gear a little bit longer on acceleration and downshift quicker during decceleration.

There have been reports by people that looked at the shift tables that the shift points are no different from D. :iono:

cplhester 05-05-2010 05:53 PM

hold the upshift paddle down for a few seconds and it goes back to auto S mode

Lieutenant 05-05-2010 06:01 PM

wow. these are some great tips!!!

Sir Nuke 05-05-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter (Post 1810762)
When you place the shifter in 'M' the car is not automatically in Manual mode, it's in Sport mode. Once you hit one of your paddle shifters, it switches to Manual mode. If you get tired of paddle shifting, you can push the shifter back up into 'D' and back into 'M' to go back to Sport mode.

Once you hit the paddle shifter, though, the shifting is totally up to you. Though, if you're in 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th and come to a stop, the car will automatically drop you down into 2nd.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

:word: He hit the nail on the head!! :thumbup:

CFD 05-05-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xander (Post 1810750)
If you use Tap Shift the trans will only downshift to 2nd if the car has a V8.

It will down shift to second on its own, it will down shift to first via the tap shift.

StlRomAniaN 05-05-2010 07:56 PM

Tune the tranny and the shifts will be amazingly fast. Oh, and it's FUN. Don't listen to all the die-hard M6 guys out there about it being just a gimmick. You have the luxury to shift gears and drive in automatic mode in traffic.

Ps. - Downshifting gears while moving is amazing. It blips the throttle and you can hear your exhaust ROAR. It's sexy. lol

hypurone 05-05-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN (Post 1811474)
Ps. - Downshifting gears while moving is amazing. It blips the throttle and you can hear your exhaust ROAR. It's sexy. lol

Ain't it cool!! :thumbup: