Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mirror fell off my windshield AGAIN!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10637)

a6pk2go 12-15-2008 07:20 PM

Mirror fell off my windshield AGAIN!!!

Hey Guys,

I live close to Dallas and the heat has caused my mirrors to fall off on both my cars in the past. I was heading home from church on Sunday and went over a railroad track which is normally pretty smooth and it jolted the car a little too much and I will be darn if the mirror didn't fall of again. This is the second time I will be putting it back on. What is the best glue to put on it to make sure this NEVER happens again? Super Glue? I have tried the stuff you get at Auto Zone and also from the dealer but geez, I for the life of my have never had this problem before.

CamaroSpike23 12-15-2008 08:01 PM

clean the residual glue from the window and the mounting block with alcohol. ensure the entire area is completely clean. then you should be able to find some mirror adhesive that will hold up to the heat. apply it on as per the directions, you might even put tape on it to hold it firmly in place. id leave it to cure for at least 24 hrs with the tape holding it in place just to be safe, then reinstall the mirror.

a6pk2go 12-15-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 217752)
clean the residual glue from the window and the mounting block with alcohol. ensure the entire area is completely clean. then you should be able to find some mirror adhesive that will hold up to the heat. apply it on as per the directions, you might even put tape on it to hold it firmly in place. id leave it to cure for at least 24 hrs with the tape holding it in place just to be safe, then reinstall the mirror.

Thanks. What kiind of tape should I use?

TFord 12-15-2008 11:31 PM

gorilla glue is some pretty strong stuff...but takes practice, the stuff expands a bit when setting. but once cured that stuff will take part of the windshield off if you have to remove that rearview mirror...lol

Make sure there no residual glue before application.

a6pk2go 12-16-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFord (Post 217889)
gorilla glue is some pretty strong stuff...but takes practice, the stuff expands a bit when setting. but once cured that stuff will take part of the windshield off if you have to remove that rearview mirror...lol

Make sure there no residual glue before application.

It takes practice??? I have already been doing that with other things. Do you mean it takes practice before I use it on the windshield? This may be the way I go because with the heat down here I don't want to spend anymore time messing with it than I already have. Right now it is cold and I need to clean out my garage so I can get it inside and warm enough to do the job. Does the windshield have to be at a certain temperture before installation?? BTW..........thanks for responding.