Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   On the outside looking in... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11555)

Hemo2 01-10-2009 05:28 PM

On the outside looking in...

As many folks, I've been reading this site for a very long time but never felt the need to post. I absolutely love the 2010 Camaro. So much in fact that I traded in my beautiful, and fully loaded 2006 Avalanche last year and took a major loss on the trade in due to the economy and gas. But I wanted to eliminate that loan payment to better position myself to buy the Camaro and I traded for a beater 2000 Blazer and asked to be put on the list for the new Camaro. (The Camaro can't be my only car due to having kids and doing kid school run in the winter, thus the need for a low end "everyday" vehicle like the Blazer.)

Over the years, between my wife and me, we've purchased a dozen brand new vehicles (2 of them, beautiful Camaros) from the same local Chevy dealership in our town and also a couple of used cars. So I figured customer loyalty would count for something in getting on the list. (I know, that was stupid on my part.)

Well it didn't work out. They were allocated 4 Camaros and one stock car for the lot. (By the way, I'm confused by GM and their allocation. They've now said they want the V6 to compete against foreign imports and the V6 seems to be their higher priority at this point, but when they allocated the vehicles to the dealership, they looked at past sales and the number of registered Mustangs in the region. If they're pushing the V6 to dealers to compete against imports, why didn't they look at registered imports in the local area instead of Mustangs?)

The dealer said since I was #5 they would order their one stock vehicle to my specs and I would get it. Sounded great to me and I was pretty pleased to be in that position.

Now I find out the stock Camaro they get will be a V6 only and they don't even get to spec it out. :mad0260::mad0260::mad0260: So I told them this morning they will have to sell the V6 to someone else, which is fine with them since it will sell one way or the other. It's a 2SS for me, or nothing. I mean, why would I want to get the low end version of this performance car?? Doesn't make sense to me. The V6 is supposed to get what, 27MPG? So it's not like you'll buy this car for fuel efficiency since that's nothing spectacular. You buy a muscle car for the muscle, right??

I understand no promises were made and my impression of customer loyalty doing me good was not realistic on my part, but it's more than a little disappointing to "think" you're in line to get your dream car, but find out it was never going to happen in the first place. So now I have to wait many months in the hopes that my local dealer will get additional allocation for next years Camaros and have no idea when I might actually get one. It appears it will be at least a full year from now, so I imagine I'll get stuck with higher prices too. :cry:

I can't properly express my level of frustration and disappointment with this entire situation, but whining about it won't change anything. (Venting a little does help though.)

I will say this, for everyone complaining about not getting their V8 Camaro until late summer or early fall of this year, it could be a LOT worse for you and you could be like me, sitting on the outside looking in, not knowing when, or if, you'll get your mid-life crisis dream car and you get stuck driving a POS Blazer pretending it's a Camaro for the next year or more. So be thankful you're at least on the list to get one this year! (Oh, and if anyone doesn't want to wait until October to receive their SS, have your dealer contact me with your pre-order! I'd be happy to wait until October to get mine.)

I do have one question (or rather a concern), that I know nobody can answer, but I have to get it out of my system anyway. Fbodfather mentioned this in his post:

.....oh - by the way -- CAFE will play a role in future years of the Camaro -- but right now, we're safe.......

Could this mean folks like myself forced to wait over a year in the hopes of getting the V8, may not be "allowed" to get the V8 when our turn comes around to buy??? Man, it would be devastating if I had to wait a year only to find out I can't get what I want!

(My apologies for such a long post, especially as my first. Like others, there's a lot of frustration and anxiety I'm trying to deal with over the past few days and I guess rambling like a fool helps.)

Matrix 01-10-2009 05:35 PM

Hang in there but. Please go read the sticky by TAG UR IT in this section:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11542

You can always go to another dealer that has not filled his allocation, that way you will get your V8 in time!

Dont let this phase you out, its just teething issues. The cars way too important for that.

Hemo2 01-10-2009 06:34 PM

Hi Matrix. Thanks for the reply. There's only one Chevy dealership in my town, which is the reason I deal with them. Overall, I've been happy, even though I know I'm never getting the deal I know they could give. They're good people though, and no dealer is going to ever give the deal to you they "really" could, so as far as dealerships go, I can't complain and I'm comfortable dealing with them. There's also something about buying local with a purchase like this that I feel is important.

Finding another dealer I would trust and become comfortable dealing with is not a task I would enjoy. The next closest Chevy dealerships within 100 miles are two "very" small dealerships in "very" small rural towns, so I can't imagine they have any allocations to work with, and they'll just get a V6 on their lot, if that. To work with a dealer in a town of comparable size to mine (which is fairly small anyway), I'd have to travel a much longer distance than would be workable, and living in a rural state, I doubt any allocations dealers actually might have gotten are even available at this stage of the game. So I'm resigned to the fact that I have a very long wait, and even though it will probably work out at the end of that wait and I'll get what I want, there's no guarantee of that. I'll probably have to pay a higher price now too, since I missed this year.

It's just frustrating that GM had a sold, fully loaded 2SS "dealer stock" car the minute it got unloaded off the truck, but instead they'll ship some flavor of a V6 in it's place since my dealer can't specify how they want their 1 stock Camaro to come in. I understand GM wants the dealers to use this V6 stock car to do a dog & pony show to the public to drum up excitement, but I'm probably the one guy in America that won't be excited to see the V6 in a showroom and would rather be showing off my V8 on the road. Thus, the stock vehicle I was in line to get, ends up being one I have no interest in and I get to watch others drive around in my dream car for the next year.

GTAHVIT 01-10-2009 08:39 PM

Hemo, you really need to carefully read Tags thread. If your order is withing the allocation your dealer got then you should get your car on time. If you are outside or near the end of their allocaiton then you can expect to wait.

Cafe won't be a factor for a few years, 2012 I believe. Not a concern for the immediate future. And it will most likely mean that they can't produce as many V8's as they normally would. Not that the V8 is going away entirely.

Welcome to the site.

Legend 01-10-2009 08:50 PM

There are several other dealers on here and in the MSRP thread that have allocations left and they are selling for MSRP.

Maybe you could get with one of them and purchase the 2SS/RS that you want and as a nice present, get to drive back home! Not a bad deal really and you'd only be out a few extra hundred dollars.

Of course that is all depends on the dealer and their allocations but I think you could run one down still and have a Camaro SS come this summer (late summer at this point I think but this summer none the less).

Check it out and see...a few phone calls and you might find that Camaro you have been wanting! You could still be loyal to the local Chevy dealer too by taking your car there for warranty and maintenence work!

CamaroScotty 01-10-2009 08:53 PM

I would leave your order in as a V8 or whatever you planned on ordering. OK, maybe you're one over - BIG DEAL! Maybe your dealer will buy 5 tahoes in this slow time and be rewarded another allocation, or the whole build process will go better than the doom and gloom factor....

Trust me, If I wanted a 2SS - I would have a 2SS order in ... SOMEWHERE! You just might to be patient, and then again, maybe you won't...But I guess we'll never know if someone don't try. Then again, don't do a dealer that is 50 over either...JMO

trm0002 01-10-2009 10:44 PM

Plenty of allocations left (last I checked) in Buffalo,NY...

Initial deposit at your dealer-> $1000
Refund from your dealer when he can't get what you want-> $1000
Deposit at Buffalo dealer-> $500
Plane ride to Buffalo to pick up your car by October-> $468 Bismark or $339 from Fargo
(hell, I'll even pick you up at the airport)
Driving your 2SS home-> PRICELESS

Camaro_Corvette 01-10-2009 10:49 PM

I thought this was about the song, "i'm on the out side, I'm looking in. I can see thru...."
Good song, i love it:happyanim:

Tantalizer43 01-11-2009 12:01 AM

Im number 4 at a dealer who was alloted 5 in the "estimated shipment guide". All ordered as SS models.That dealer is about 8-10 hour drive away from me. I have to decide if it's better to keep my order as is, or move to a local dealer be mid list in a larger alltoment.

Geez, decisions desicions. Any thoughts? I ordered from an out of town dealer because it's a special dealership...

JSkibisky 01-11-2009 06:12 AM

... regarding the ".....oh - by the way -- CAFE will play a role in future years of the Camaro -- but right now, we're safe......." remark, I'm not sure how anyone else interprets it, but I would think that, at some point, cars like Camaro and Mustang will have to become smaller and lighter in order to survive. With the continual advances in powertrains, we can still enjoy performance while getting CAFE-friendly mileage numbers.
There still might be a limited-productioon V8 "halo" model... Z28? ... that could be part of the picture.

zebra 01-11-2009 06:32 AM

:mad0259::mad0259::mad0259:

please, please not another Z28 comment!

as far as CAFE standards go, it will be more difficult to make cars like this in the future, considering ever-increasing safety standards that have to be met, meaning healthy-sized cars that will be 'safe' to wreck & all the extra equipment that has to be added (creating more weight, therefore needing more power to perform similarly). it's an endless cycle that only the future can tell what will come of it.

Camaro_Corvette 01-11-2009 10:49 AM

Z28http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/bolt.gif

maxdmax 01-11-2009 11:15 AM

I am in a similar situation as Tantalizer43, I am 5th of the 6 allocations from my local dealer. All 6 are SSs. Even after reading hundreds of posts I am not sure if or when I will get my car in 2009. I too ask the same question, should I go try to get into a larger dealer with a larger allocation and strengthen my position in overall allocations? What is your best guess as to when I might expect my 2SS/RS if I stay at 5 of 6 with my local dealer?

Mr_Draco 01-11-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxdmax (Post 242990)
I am in a similar situation as Tantalizer43, I am 5th of the 6 allocations from my local dealer. All 6 are SSs. Even after reading hundreds of posts I am not sure if or when I will get my car in 2009. I too ask the same question, should I go try to get into a larger dealer with a larger allocation and strengthen my position in overall allocations? What is your best guess as to when I might expect my 2SS/RS if I stay at 5 of 6 with my local dealer?

Personally I feel very certain that you will receive your car before Oct. With you being 5 out of 6, I think it will be late Aug - early Sept at the latest with the guy who is 6 out of 6 getting his in Oct. Now keep in mind that this is my best guess if everything stays as it is right now. If they run out of an option that you ordered you will be pushed back or you could be pushed up if this happens to a guy ahead of you.