Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Southwest (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Jan 8th 2011 ABQ SMS Cars, Coffee, Chile, and Speed (Track Day)! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122657)

cjingle 01-04-2011 12:29 PM

Jan 8th 2011 ABQ SMS Cars, Coffee, Chile, and Speed (Track Day)!

:happyanim:Another Albuquerque SMS Cars, Coffee, Chile, and Speed (Track Day) on the 8th of January 2011 (weather permitting).:thumbup:

As mentioned before, starting January the entry fee it goes to $50 per track day (under review), unless you become a Driver's Club member. More information on this will be posted at http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/ or http://www.sandia-speedway.com/

The time will be between 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM (alot of the time, even longer).

We'll meet up at Hotel Albuquerque in Old Town at 9:30 AM and caravan out to the track.

Details on the Track Day are at http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106280

I hope to see you all there!:confused0068:

UPDATE: No Cost for anyone coming out to observe and hang out!

It's looking like helmets will still be optional. However, it is highly recommended you get a helmet. Plus, it will eventually become mandatory soon.

-------------------------------
This is from Jim Guthrie:

Bell makes an open face helmet with a short visor, looks good and is not too much money. Go to www.saferacer.com, www.simpson.com, www.impact.com, or www.bell.com to see helmet choices.

The fireproof lined helmets will cost more and really aren't needed. If someone plans to race, it must be a full face, Snell 2010. I think it is the latest, nomex lined helmet. Some sanctioning bodies allow one step older Snell rated helmets, check with the sanctioning body.

rharp 01-04-2011 12:59 PM

Is it still gonna be free to go watch?
I dont think I want to spend 50 bucks to run a v6.

bigsquirrel 01-04-2011 02:36 PM

If this means less stock 95 grand am and other assorted beaters on the track I'm game. I won't make it back out untill spring though. I put all season tires on the car and will need to buy a new set of wheels/tires for the track. can't afford that unitll feb or march.

vincewalthers 01-04-2011 05:04 PM

I can't make this weekend, but my car needs new tires before I even think about hitting a track/dragstrip again lol.. Can't quite afford it yet maybe in a few months... But then again $50 is a little steep for my pocket lol. Best I will be able to come and watch/show off the new goodies I will be getting soon... Very soon :)

Sensei 01-04-2011 09:26 PM

I'm with Rich, $50 is a bit steep for me. I will still come and take pics of everyone else though!

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 01-04-2011 09:55 PM

I'll be in The Dirt this weekend so I'm a niet. :(

I know joining the Drivers' Club is the way to go and takes each session back down to $20.

Plus I think you get "the shirt" so that alone is worth the $199 admission right?!!!! :thumbup:

Probably more effecient and helpful in keeping the "riff raff" away like Beck said. But it is going to reduce the amount of people who wanna run once in a while I think. Time will tell I reckon.

Looking forward to getting back out there but there are def some things needing to hit the Sizzle before she'll take to the track again.

Ivan

chefmichael32 01-05-2011 12:02 AM

If weather and work permits I'll be there to check out my first track day!!:chevy:

Bethgrce 01-05-2011 01:44 PM

Sorry, going to hang low that day! Still have this crud thats been going around! And no I don't have any appointments!!!! Just tired! $50 sound kind of steep to me too! But then again with things what they are its still a good deal at $50! One of the tracks out in Phoenix (by our house) Its $75 for the day!

2010 BADSS 01-05-2011 01:44 PM

I'd love to go and try out my new suspension goodies if the snow melts. It was almost gone then we got another little bit yesterday!:mad0259:

drPhilGandini 01-05-2011 10:51 PM

I joined this forum because you all seem to be the only people in Albuquerque talking about the Sandia Drivers Club and the Coffee Cars and things Saturday events.
I don't drive a Camaro, sorry. But I like to drive cars fast, and think that the track is the only safe place to do so in this day and age.
So, the days of $20 track access are over, but the new deal (if I understand the SDC website) means that an Aluminum membership costs $35 initially and $120 per year at $10 per month. So that's $150 for 2011. I believe it gives us access to all Drivers Club events, which includes the Coffee, cars and things events. So after 3 of these at the regular $50 price, the SDC membership is almost even, and the at the 4th event, you're ahead.
Is my math correct?
I sure hope so, and I look forward to seeing you all this Saturday, weather permitting.

Phil

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 01-05-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drPhilGandini (Post 2700978)
I joined this forum because you all seem to be the only people in Albuquerque talking about the Sandia Drivers Club and the Coffee Cars and things Saturday events.
I don't drive a Camaro, sorry. But I like to drive cars fast, and think that the track is the only safe place to do so in this day and age.
So, the days of $20 track access are over, but the new deal (if I understand the SDC website) means that an Aluminum membership costs $35 initially and $120 per year at $10 per month. So that's $150 for 2011. I believe it gives us access to all Drivers Club events, which includes the Coffee, cars and things events. So after 3 of these at the regular $50 price, the SDC membership is almost even, and the at the 4th event, you're ahead.
Is my math correct?
I sure hope so, and I look forward to seeing you all this Saturday, weather permitting.

Phil

Dr Phil sees the light.... :)

Yessir. That math ends up being correct and if you are a regular, then it also equates to a more economical year of racing!

See ya there in the Cayman!
Ivan :thumbup:

drPhilGandini 01-06-2011 09:45 AM

Thanks Ivan.
So can a person join up at the track, or is this something done via the website? In the first few months of this year it would seem a good idea to have on-track signups.
See you there!

ZZTOM 01-06-2011 09:59 AM

Ok I'm a little confused. The membership appears to be the way to go but it also say's track rental time is $90.00 per hour?????

drPhilGandini 01-06-2011 12:48 PM

Well, yes, there may be some confusion caused by the wording on the website.
The membership gives you a "discount on admission to Drivers Club events." What the discount is remains unspecified. The higher metal memberships give you some "free" track time (2 hrs and 1 hr) per month, whereas the Al doesn't give you any free track time. You can buy track time at the specified rate ($75 to $90 per hour) and presumably you can be bumped depending on when you want the time, and what's going on at the track that day.
From a post earlier by Ivan, perhaps the discounted Coffee and Cars events cost $20 rather than $50? Makes the math a little worse than what I had posted before. You save $30 per event, which means you have to do 6 in a year to come out ahead over paying the $50 non-member price. Still, there are 2 events per month, and you'd only have to do one event every 2 months to come out ahead as a SDC member.