View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #54
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
I have discussed this issue many many times on this and other boards.

GM -- and ANY other manufacturer cannot tell (or even discuss) what price the dealer can charge for a car or truck. It's called Anti-Trust and people have gone to jail over this issue. (ask the guys at Honda....)

If the dealer wants to charge you a penny - or 10 million - we are prohibited from even discussing it. We ARE required to establish a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price - and under the Monroney Act (1958 to be exact) we must place a label on the vehicle when it's produced that shows clearly the Base MSRP - any options and their MSRP -- plus all destination charges. Since 1958, more laws have been passed - such as the requirement to post where the vehicle was built - what percentage of the components on the vehicle are of North American content -- EPA mileage estimates, etc.

You, as a consumer have the right to say "No - I'm not paying over MSRP" The Dealer also has the right to say "Fine........next?"

Now -- I don't personally like that any dealer charges over MSRP.

That said, let's put this in perspective, shall we?

Let's say that you have a perfect 1970 Camaro SS/RS in Cranberry Red with the Custom Interior and all the toys. It has an original 100,000 miles on the odometer. Let's also say that your brother has a very nice 1970 Camaro Sport Coupe -- a non-RS/SS - 307 powerglide - in Mist Green. It has 70,000 original miles.

Do you suppose that they're worth the same money?

Of course not.

A 1970 SS/RS is much more desireable than a 1970 Sport Coupe with a 307 V8 -- and thus, people will be expected to pay more for the SS/RS......much more!

Another example: You have a N.O.S. interior part for a 1970 Camaro. They are impossible to find. When you purchased it in 1971, you paid $20 for it. It's now worth $750 to someone restoring a 1970 Camaro.

Are you going to charge $20? I don't truly think so.

What we have here is are two examples of "Supply and Demand" -- if Demand outstrips Supply - people will pay more for the product or service. Conversely, if supply outstrips demand, prices drop and we see rebates popping up.

The ZL1 is new and it's desired by many. On the other hand - a dealer who 'sits' on a ZL1 asking way over MSRP may be sitting for a longggggg time......and what happens when the 2013s come out and they're more plentiful? (you can then 'grin' and do the "Toldya So" rain dance in his or her showroom.....)

I understand your disappointment.

Did you sign any documentation? Did it spell out clearly that you would pay "MSRP" for the vehicle? If so - you may have legal recourse (but I'm not an attorney - so you may want to visit with one)

If you did not sign a piece of paper that has specifics - then I don't know that you have anything to stand upon.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you - but please understand when you say "GM needs to address this!" - we cannot. (...well, one of us could, but I don't want to go to prison........and I don't think anyone else at GM wants to either.........)