View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #445
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Maybe you guys should read up on the other cars at the Ring. Porsche just used 3 european drivers for their 918 Spyder. 2 were factory drivers with racing history and an ex-european rally champion.

And GM has an american engineer... with 0 race history.

You really think he can hang??? HE HAS ABSOLUTELY NO RACING HISTORY!! THAT SHOULD BOTHER YOU GUYS!!! Every other driver at the Ring is a Pro driver with championship titles.

The fact that a 2 year old Viper crushed the ZR1 time with almost no R&D should bother you! I have a feeling the ZR1 is a much better car... and in the hands of a true pro would have been much faster.
Doesn't bother me....There's no doubt the German companies have drivers with more experience at the Ring....it's in Germany after all - but, GM doesn't put "nobodies" behind the wheel. It's dangerous, and not beneficial for their engineering purposes.

Have you heard of the Milford proving grounds? Where lies the Milford Road Course? The only thing I don't like about it is that it's closed to the public; being GM's testing facility. That road course is possibly the most complex course next to the Nurburgring in America. Perhaps VIR could be argued as similarly challenging.

My point is - just because the engineer/driver behind the wheel of the Z/28 doesn't have a race history, or a resumé of victories means literally...nothing. Time on the MRC should not be dismissed...

Let me remind you: the Nordschliefe runs are engineering exercises...the hot laps are to prove a point and thump chests, not to win any awards....2 seconds on a 13 mile track is.....one minor slip up through a corner...one delay to accelerate on a straight.

And I'm willing to bet that none of us here will EVER be able to beat these times, anyways; let alone attempt them in real life...so what should it mean to us if one driver earns 3-4 seconds a lap over another driver in the same car around Nurburgring? Should we spend hours calculating the environmental variables that could effect times, too?

Respectfully - I'm not worried about anything. And I think you're looking at all this from the wrong perspective...