View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #119
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Through the grapevine we've heard 150 maybe 200 lbs lighter. Not so much. If I remember correctly a 100 lbs savings equals 1/10 in the 1/4 mile. HP is the key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I think that any weight savings in the 6th gen. will be a good thing, 150-200 lbs. is a good start, I'd like to see more in the 300-400 lbs. range vs the 5th gen. weight (but I don't expect it!).
Clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
Well so far we dont know anything about how much weight it is going to save who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Trust us old guy's, we've been there, done that, and bought the T shirt. Thanks for listening Chevy. We are sure, no doubt.

Perhaps. But the jury is still out on that verdict. I'm more inline with DG3's thoughts.

That's correct chance...every 100 lbs. is about one tenth a second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Not true. We have knowledge of the Caddie platform it's based on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
We don't have anything solid on that platform though.
fwiw, gentlemen....I wanted to share some work/findings I did to estimate the weight of coupes and sedans built off of an identical Alpha architecture...

Starting here, Motortrend recorded a quote previewing the weight range the Cadillac ATS should be in, as well as the engine options for the car at initial release:

"Leone would only say that it’s “several hundred pounds lighter than competitors like the 3-series,” and that the front/rear weight distribution would be an ideal 50/50"

Below is the size of the 3-series BMW coupe/ Chevy Camaro:

Length: 181.9 / 190.4
Width: 70.2 / 75.5
Height: 54.9 / 54.2

I still maintain for its size and segment, the 5th generation Camaro is competitive in terms of weight, but you can clearly see where much of the weight is in the car when comparing these two....it's much bigger! I mean, heck - it's even wider than the Corvette!

I believe the ATS/6th gen would need to be the size of the 3-series or smaller to achieve these weight numbers. And I think one of the tricks they'll use to achieve this weight advantage in the base models is by using their potent 4 cylinders vs the German's inline or V6s.

Then I did some math based on similarly-equipped cars to form an educated guess on how each configuration will add weight to the car.

In order of engine type, weight, then reasoning:

I4: 190hp / ~3162lbs
(based off GM comment and BMW 328i curb weight)

T4: 270hp / ~3292lbs
(based off difference between Cobalt SS Turbo vs Cobalt LT minus performance goodies like Brembo brakes)

V6: 320hp / ~3992lbs
(based off difference between genesis T4 vs V6 models)

V8: 460hp / ~3511lbs
(based off difference between Camaro V6 v V8 models)

TV8: 580hp / ~3671lbs
(based off Camaro ZL1 v SS minus 100lbs weight management; ie turbo vs super & Carbon Fiber/Aluminum bits)

The base model is as light as a Corvette, then, while the power-to-weight ratio of the entry V8 would be that of the current Corvette LT...meaning a 0-60 of 4, and a quarter mile time of 12.4.

The hypothetical Turbocharged V8 would have the power-to-weight of the current Z06...meaning an easy 3.7 to 60, and 11.6 quarter mile. Impressive for sure!!

These are GUESSES....AND they're very ambitious (that high level configuration may not even be possible without turning the car into a pretzel)...but I don't feel they're "out in left field", per say. Assuming, of course, the "several hundred pounds" quote is accurate.

fwiw...I had fun crunching these numbers.