View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #162
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
At this point, the thread and poll is all based on the ASSUMPTION that they're not sure what to call it. And that assumption comes from here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124078

The presenters never once mentioned the name "Z28" to attending dealers. It could be a marketing ploy....it could be an alias to preserve plausible deniability (What Z28? )...but just in case they weren't sure what to call it, I thought it would be interesting to hear what enthusiasts-at-large thought.

The more I think about it....and I've been thinking about it a lot, lately...it would be a HUGE mistake not to call this car a Z28. SLP has capitalized on the "ZLx" name, which rules out "ZL1" in my opinion...too much chance of confusion. And I don't think a car with this much interest can afford to be called something new. The heritage behind the Z28 name is monumental. I think the chances of yet another high-performance Camaro coming out for the 5th generation is slim-to-none...market interest and CAFE have seen to that....so if they don't use the Z28 name now....I'm afraid it'll never be used for a long time. Talk about a tragedy!!!

The argument against Z28 based solely on the first generation, I think is weak one. I mean, it's got some logic behind it...but what about every other generation of Camaro? I guess what I'm saying is that formulas change....who'd ever have thought the iconic Impala name would have been attached to a FWD car? But it has and one could argue successfully....

Still....this is all one big "What If"...and it's very interesting to see the pulse of the community on this subject.