Thread: Hybrid Camaro?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Oh, I see what you're talking about now.

Yes. And no.
There are different 'strengths' of Hybrid, per se. The Malibu, Aura, and (currently) the Vue are MILD hybrids. The Tahoe, Yukon, and Silverado are FULL hybrids.

The difference is actually very large between the two types.
As I said above, the mild-hybrid system uses a generator/motor (in the place of an alternator) coupled to a 30V NIMH battery. This system shuts down the car when you stop at a light, or your driveway, ect. And the battery runs your accessories. Then when you get going, the motor starts teh engine back up. It also uses regenerative braking to charge the battery via the motor/generator. On top of all that - the system can compliment the engine and actually ADD power during accel (which helps reduce gas consumption as well. The new Lithium system will allow for very low speed propulsion as well, now.

The Full system, also known as the Two-mode Hybrid, was developed together by BMW, Diamler, and GM. But it was GM's idea.

It uses twin electric motors actually IN the transmission to propel the vehicle on electric only power at speeds under 30mph. And it compliments the engine otherwise. Hence the "two mode". It's really difficult to explain, (I haven't read into it much.) I just know it's expensive, and it kicks Prius a$$! http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...Hybrid_M99.doc