View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Firerader...people have responded about warranties and legal restrictions. And at the heart of the issue: they hit the nail on the head.

Waivers and attorneys and lawyers are all well and good, but there is no guarantee that you'll never sell or be separated from the car. And then what about the new owner? Did they accept the restrictions you agreed to in case something goes horribly wrong?

Then...consider the amount of time, money, and effort it would require to develop a completely different ECM calibration to suit a "super-minority's" need. There are millions of parts combinations for this car...which setup to devote resources towards? What if it's not the one you're looking for, specifically?

I can understand your complaint...but I'm afraid it's just not valid today. Times have changed...both in terms of legislation and in terms of complexity of the car. EPA has a stranglehold on emissions requirements, and some aspect of cars today can be prohibitively complex to alter. A simple RPM tune may not seem like much....but GM/Chevy would have to spend inordinate amounts of money to have it validated by the powers that be...and as I mentioned above...if they spend money on two or three of these...what if it's not one that you want/need?

I would offer you this:

Chevrolet has supported the Camaro enthusiast communities in an amazing fashion since the car's return to showrooms. They have included enthusiasts directly in their decision-making process, supported shows and functions (like the Camaro5 Fest), and paid close attention to the modifications each individual owner has made to his/her car to help craft the factory "version". They've devoted time and money to some aftermarket companies to create works of enthusiasm like those shown at SEMA. On a personal note - they've flown and fed me so I'm able to drive and write about new Camaros like the ZL1 and 1LE for everyone here!

Last but not least...they're building the ultimate "canvas"...a phenomenal car of which the possibilities to modify are virtually endless!! I sometimes wonder if that's harder to do than to build "the perfect car"...

I probably didn't make you feel any better :(...you began your post with this statement: "With that said I want to ask this group why Chevrolet doesn't go the extra mile in support of these loyal and dare I say religious fans? "

And I wanted to propose that they have...just maybe not exactly in the way you wish.