Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
A thought just occured to me, if you had to choose.

Would you rather get the "Top Dawg" coupe, or a vert with "second dawg" trim?

I'm not looking to mod the crap out of the car and make it run 9's or so. I want a car that's faster than most, but looks damn good. I had my heart set on a vert, but thinking more and more about the price if the vert option adds 4-5 grand, I'm expecting to pay around 38'ish with License and Registration. If I want to spend around 34'ish and get the second best but vert, or top dawg in a coupe, what would you guys do?

Please only answer if you plan on getting a vert. I know it's heavier and don't really care since I'm not only buying it for speed (which is why I'd rather people who are considering a vert answer than if not.)

PS. I know pricing isn't out, but it's speculation.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
I am planning on getting a vert also so I will respond. (and I currently drive a vert. musclecar).

My response is you should pay the extra price for the vert (without top dawg engine) for the following reasons:

1) It sounds like that is what you really want, so you should wait and get what you want. A vert is mainly a car for looks. Sometimes i forget my car is a vert.

2) you don't have to worry about washing a metal roof.

3) If you drive a V8 musclecar vert with the top down, you hear your exhaust very loudly. your passengers probably have never experienced that before. You can introduce them to that.

4) If you think you might trade it in later, your resale value should be much higher than an equivalent coupe.

Notes:

1) I would examine carefully how they design the folding top. Since the design will be so new, it will be annoying if the top assembly has problems.

2) Be sure to examine the vert you buy carefully before you sign anything. when the top is up, look for wrinkles around the top where it meets the body. if the top was not installed right in the first place, it will look like that forever. for some reason, my top has never had any out of place creases.

3) unless you have owned a vert, be prepared to feel some twisting in the body, unless they work very hard to remove this. I am used to this in my current unibody vert. car.

4) your vert will look even more unique if you get a body color no one else has, as I did.

So in 2009? when a vert is available to purchase, I hope you get what you want.

Edit: TO answer your question, your Vert is probably STILL going to be plenty fast even if it is NOT the top dog vehicle. Why do people complain so much about horsepower, when the most recent Camaros can get from 0-60 in about 5 seconds? RELAX. Your car is still fast. those top dog camaros are going to be at the dealership every other week with broken rear axles ! So think of the extra time you won't be giving to the dealership tech's who would be test driving your car when you are not there. This is how they will be test driving it before you come to pick it up --->

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 08-22-2007 at 12:45 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Also fully intent to buy a vert.

But my response sucks. I have no idea. I have had the same thoughts cross my mind. I just know that when the vert releases, they're gonna release the top dawg coupe at the same time and they will be comprable in price, an dI'm gonna cry.

I'll probably stick with the vert though.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
bumblebee101
tired of FWD

Drives: 2000 Chevy Impala
I figured this problem out while talking to my wife a week ago, I'll buy myself the coupe, and I'll buy her the vert...we both win.... I figure by then I can handle 2 $600 a month car payments. Provided our van(truck) keeps on running, and the new house doesn't run us into the ground..lol

Gray
bumblebee101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Eh. Mine wants a 300-series BMW. I'd like to talk her into a G8, but her G6 has left a sour taste in her mouth for Pontiac.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Fbodybuddy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8
I plan to get a vert, too. I also plan to use it as a cruiser so the big honkin V8 is not a top priority. Knocking 2 seconds off the 0-60 times really isn't a big thing for me. Heck, my wife will probably drive it more than me anyway. Miss Leadfoot sure don't need that kind of motor.

Last edited by Fbodybuddy; 08-22-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Fbodybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
Just a Skidmark
original senior member

Drives: 1993 s10 tahoe 4.3L v6 tbi
I'm getting the top dawg of dawgs coupe, just knowing that I can unleash x-amount of horses if I wanted to just gives me that many more reasons to go out to the track
Just a Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Coupe. Not many cars I like better in convertible form. Add to that more weight, less stiff chassis, and cheaper then I'd rather have the coupe
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:17 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Not planning on getting the very, but if you don't mind my reply...

If it's a vert that you want, then it's a vert you must get. Ragtop's got some great reasons behind why you should get a vert. The first and foremost is that if it's a vert you want, don't settle for anything less. Make that "option" be the first you check off. Then, if it's appearance you want, go for those options. It'll look great, yeah. And I'm sure it's going to come w/ a healthy amount of hp, so an engine upgrade wouldn't be all that necessary.

You are going to have a set amount of cash to play with...just like me. If GM comes out w/ a hard top or targa top, I WILL figure it out to where I can have that and a souped up engine. Go w/ your gut and get that vert. There will be far less verts than coupes which will also make your Maro just that much more desireable in the long run.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Buy what you want. If you're not really concerned about weight or rigidity, but you really want a vert and a powerful engine, then buy the vert. Later on, save up some money for some upgrades. Or you could buy very slightly used. Or leftover year end models
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 AM   #11
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
Or leftover year end models
I'm ordering mine just the way I want it. New leftovers for me.

But I think I'm going for the vert. After reading the replies, I appreciate your insight guys. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It seems like you made up your mind already, but I was going to add that if you want a Vert for the open-ness of it, and the wind in your hair, and the looks - all reasons I'd want one - then Get it, don't worry too much about engines. Most Vert's aren't designed for racing, anyways - and they can't offer a V8 that you wouldn't be pleased with...even if you had to "settle" for an L76...

Go for the Convertible - if you want it that much, and you go and grab a coupe for it's engine...you'll forever stare up at the cieling(roof) and think - dumb, dumb. And that'll be torture, especially if your head flings back everytime you step on it
Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #13
85convertibleZ28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs cgm M6
I would have to say z/28 coupe with t tops if they come out with t tops
85convertibleZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #14
Rapnrev

Drives: Mustang,Corvette,Escalade,T-Bird
Cool

I'm going for the convertible, I have one now and it's the bomb. Not too concerned about the V8 cause this will be my daily driver, I have a 06 Vette for the power rush. Camaro will be strictly for the stylin' and profilin' from day to day with the Vette being the weekend S & P.
Rapnrev is offline   Reply With Quote