Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Ghostog27

Drives: 2017 1LT Camaro
Building the 2014 2ls worth it?

I recently purchased a 2014 black 2ls, automatic v6, I wish it was a v8 I know I know.. Is it worth throwing a few bucks into to get some more power out of it?

Basically Im asking is there going to be a significant power difference with some basic mods like,

Intake
Headers
Exaust
Tuner/chip?

Do any of these mods cancel out warranty?

I had a 97 silverado 5.7l vortex, did most of those mods and seemed to open that baby up.

just looking for opinions.

Thanks guys.
Ghostog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Well I believe so.

But I have a fully loaded 2LT model...

As you can see from my list of mods below you can "wake up" the LFX motor a lot.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostog27 View Post
I recently purchased a 2014 black 2ls, automatic v6, I wish it was a v8 I know I know.. Is it worth throwing a few bucks into to get some more power out of it?

Basically Im asking is there going to be a significant power difference with some basic mods like,

Intake
Headers
Exaust
Tuner/chip?

Do any of these mods cancel out warranty?

I had a 97 silverado 5.7l vortex, did most of those mods and seemed to open that baby up.

just looking for opinions.

Thanks guys.
Intake- Ported Throttle Body

Headers- not traditional, either SOLO or American Racing high Flow downpipes- catted.

Exhaust- many to chppse- cat back best performance- Solo gets my vote

Tuner- No chip- HP tuners has the suite to reprogram, find a good tuner.

All items cancel the warranty on the part they replace, tune voids powertrain warranty
Old 09-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostog27 View Post
Is it worth throwing a few bucks into to get some more power out of it?

Define "is it worth [it]" and "significant"...

Will you get a performance increase? Yes. Do these mods make you forget it isn't a V8 model? No.

Twin turbo? That's the mod to do if you are really serious.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Define "is it worth [it]" and "significant"...

Will you get a performance increase? Yes. Do these mods make you forget it isn't a V8 model? No.

Twin turbo? That's the mod to do if you are really serious.
This man speaks the truth... A TTV6 is an SS (stock / stockish) killer.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
or just buy mine.....
Old 10-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
General rule of thumb....

Worth is up to the individual. Not every part or mod is gonna be universally "worth it" for everyone.

So first and foremost...YOU..not us..need to decide on what your goals are. Of not you'll prob end up as many do who dont have some sort of finishing point in what thwy want from theor car with realistic goals. constantly never satisfied, frustrated, and throwing money to chase blind goals.

Id take a few days..read the forums...show, drag race, autox, road race forums and decide on something that interests ya. Doesnt have to be permanent you can always change goals as you go...bit take a realistic assessment as to what you want from your car.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
I did the cold air intake & CNC ported throttle body first. That was a great way to wake up my LFX.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Some great advice already on here, but YOU are the ultimate decision maker. There are plenty V6s out there that will eat V8s up. Decide your final goal and know that whatever you do COULD void all warranty. If you can afford a no warranty car go for it, I did and I love it. Make the decision that is best for you and you'll be happy.
Now if you want to have fun with a Mustang it can BEE done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=13MFi2G_dgY
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
This one is a little faster run.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #11
Agent 31

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS Ashen Grey
This guy at BoostLab told me they don't make headers, turbos, or superchargers for V6's. Only V8's. I called BS in my head immediately but I don't know too much about performance to know for sure. I'm learning more and more everyday tho. I want to make my 2lt faster, I just don't know where to begin. CAI from K&N seems to be a good place to start lol.
I would love to have a CAI, turbo/intercooler with the loud blow off valve sounds lol, and a killer exhaust system. HELP!
Agent 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
0) Run 91 or 93 octane gas
1) Catch Can - Do this now to maintain the factory performance
2) Cold Air Intake - breathes better
3) Cat Back Exhaust - breathes better, sounds better and is lighter than stock
4a) Ported Throttle Body (optional)
4b) Air Scoop (optional)
5) Upgrade to SS Brembos (the calipers stop better and are lighter than the V6 calipers)
6) Lighter Rotors to go with the Brembos
7) Lighter Wheels

This will give you better engine performance and reduce weight without voiding power train warranty.

Also learn to use your paddle shifters.

Last edited by intensifi; 10-28-2014 at 03:33 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 31 View Post
This guy at BoostLab told me they don't make headers, turbos, or superchargers for V6's. Only V8's.
This guy at BoostLab is a moron.

I don't know what "BoostLab" is, but after hearing that from "this guy," I'd avoid it like Ebola.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #14
SliverSurfer

Drives: Summit White 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
This guy at BoostLab is a moron.

I don't know what "BoostLab" is, but after hearing that from "this guy," I'd avoid it like Ebola.
The guy from BoostLab is right about the headers...the exhaust manifolds are integrated into the engine block. If you pop the hood and look down into the engine compartment, you'll see that the there is a length of pipe with the cats attached and it's bolted directly to the engine block on each side...sorry dude no headers for 2013 and newer V6 Camaros.

I've heard that high flow cats are the nearest thing to headers for the LFX engines.
SliverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote