Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
For those with Hockey Stick stripes...

I know, I know - there's a stripe thread. Last time it was posted in was December 31st, though, and I need an answer quick.

Anyway, my car has the SLP hockey stick stripes in Hugger Orange. I love the stripes to death and they give my car the exact look I was hoping for. One problem - I'll need them redone. The install I have on the car now wasn't really done right. The SLP hockey stripes are a one piece, and the instructions say that for the two body seams they span over (the forward most door seam and the front fascia/fender seam), the decal needs to be cut and then tucked into the seam. That way very little to no body color shows through and it makes a more "painted on" look. However, this guy didn't do that. He cut a chunk of the decal off around the seams. That left me with two problems - one, the body color shows through and to me, it's very unsightly, and two, the worse of all, the parts he cut left some very sharp edges that are starting to lift and peel off the surface.

Here's the thing, the shop I am taking them to said that they'll tuck them into the seam for me, but it's actually not supposed to be done that way, and that it is supposed to be done the way my last installer did it. I don't believe that, since the way my last installer did it is ugly and it leaves sharp edges that can easily lift. I offered the guys that will install the new ones to take off the front fascia to give them enough clearance to tuck the excess vinyl into the nose/fender seam, because granted, that is a real tight seam.

My question is, does anybody have hockey stick stripes that were a one piece that were tucked into the body seams? If so, how well have they held up and have they began to peel?

And no, I'm not getting them painted.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
I don't have the hockey stripes, but I have done a TON of pinstriping in my life. I have always tucked the stripes, but it is much more common to see them done the way your original installer has done it.

I don't like the look of it being cut like that either.

One simple way to fix the lifting though is with a tiny dab of clear nail polish on the ends. That will adhere the sharp edges and eliminate the lifting. If done right it is also almost invisible to the eye.
Cristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 1 RS/SS
I had to have some work on the door and they had to replace the stripe. They are wrapped around and tucked around the seam. Its not peeling at all.
Attached Images

Had: 69' RS, 78' Z28, 98' SS Have: 2010 1RS/SS
St33lsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 Z28, 2015 SS & 2017 SS
We wrap the edges around at the door openings and the front fascia gap. It prevents lifting and looks better. It takes a little bit extra time because you have to heat the part that wraps around to help it stick.
bigwormgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Yep, see. You guys all did it. It just looks better! Thanks for the replies so far.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
organgrinder

Drives: 55 nomad
are you talking about the very front where the bumper cover/front fascia meet the front of the fender? or back where the front of the door meets the back of the fender. i wrap around any door or fender opening. i also don't cut the decal where it goes over that front seam. i just heat it up and i have a little roller that i press it into the seam real good.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Every one I have installed was tucked into the seam between the fascia and fender first, then a razor blade or trim knife was run in the seam to make a relief cut. Once the cut is made, they are heated lightly then finished by using a credit card edge to make sure the stripes are completely against the body of the car. If this is not done, you will get dirt under the stripes and they will eventually peel.
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
ceeya32

Drives: 2010 syn green special edition
Love 2 c pic of car??
ceeya32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM

autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote