Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
Bmr total suspension kit

I got this kit from someone on marketplace. Think I got a pretty good deal on it for $305 shipped to my door. I do have a couple questions regarding doing my suspension and this kit in general.

1. Does this kit look complete? Best I can tell it looks good to me but pictures show all parts as red some of mine are black so I’m curious on this?

2. Is there anything you guys would add to this kit that might be missing? I intend on doing sway bars, possably lowering springs at the same time I intend on installing this so I am sure I will get some bushings related to these things when I order new parts. When I do this I want to go through ALL of it.

3. Is there a good source to find out the sizes of bolts I would need to replace the bolts associated with the suspension etc? Figure if I’m diving this far into the suspension myself I might as well be prepared with new hardware before hand. A retailer info that sells these needed bolts would be helpful also.

4. I’ve never dove into the suspension of a car this deep before! I’m excited to give it a go but being this is my first time any tips tricks you guys care to share? And special tools I may need and should look for before diving into it?
Attached Images

2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
This BK031 is basically a complete BUSHING KIT, assuming you would not upgrade the Rear Toe Rod, LCA, and Trailing Arms with more beefy pieces, as the stock stuff is not exactly robust in design. This kit also includes Diff bushings which is a difficult job, and not necessary for a street car IMO. And, it does not contain BK039 RCA Bushing/Bracket which helps complete a solid rear set-up. As for sways, proper parts selection depends on whether the car will be lowered any and if you convert the rear LCA to FE4 style which mounts the sway links out board of the shock.
At $305, the bushing kit is a great deal. But it only addresses bushing deflection. If you step up with better Sways, lowering springs, and beefier ARMs, Links, etc, be prepared to shell out some $$ (a BMR Sway and Link Package is $700+).
Long story short, I have a 2010 and did a total suspension thrash and documented it in the link. It includes all TTY bolts. It is a big job that can be done in a garage with basic tools, and keep safety in mind as some fasteners require pulling on them at over 100 Ft Lbs of Torque.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442230
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
This BK031 is basically a complete BUSHING KIT, assuming you would not upgrade the Rear Toe Rod, LCA, and Trailing Arms with more beefy pieces, as the stock stuff is not exactly robust in design. This kit also includes Diff bushings which is a difficult job, and not necessary for a street car IMO. And, it does not contain BK039 RCA Bushing/Bracket which helps complete a solid rear set-up. As for sways, proper parts selection depends on whether the car will be lowered any and if you convert the rear LCA to FE4 style which mounts the sway links out board of the shock.
At $305, the bushing kit is a great deal. But it only addresses bushing deflection. If you step up with better Sways, lowering springs, and beefier ARMs, Links, etc, be prepared to shell out some $$ (a BMR Sway and Link Package is $700+).
Long story short, I have a 2010 and did a total suspension thrash and documented it in the link. It includes all TTY bolts. It is a big job that can be done in a garage with basic tools, and keep safety in mind as some fasteners require pulling on them at over 100 Ft Lbs of Torque.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442230
Thank you for the great response! I haven’t decided on the fe4 style yet. But I’ll look into it for sure. I think I remember reading posts about that and that it is an improved setup but don’t remember why. Anyways I don’t plan on doing this job right away. I do plan on ordering sways and hopefully lowering springs etc before I go through with this. So considering I haven’t done a suspension before I want to gain as much insight as I can and perhaps plan a little more then I normally would. I want to try avoid getting partially into it and realizing oh crap I don’t have this or I need that in order to complete this the way I want to do it. In short I don’t want my car to end up in pieces for a week because I had to wait for newly ordered parts etc
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Good approach. Plan, Plan, Plan, do it once correctly.
Some basic upgrade mods like Rear Cradle Bushings and Rear Arm bushings can address the worst aspect of these cars (wheel hop), but a balanced and more thorough approach delivers a killer handling car with a good ride and tolerable increased NVH.
The FE4 thing is just that the sway bar links mount outboard of the shock thus providing much more anti sway leverage and less stress on the LCA mount point. I think this became available in 2012 when the Rear LCA went to the FE4 option. Our stock 2010 Rear LCA Sway Bar Link Mounting provision is weak and known to rip apart when upgrading with a stiffer aftermarket Sway Bar. I initially went with the BMR SB030 sway bars, but changed out the rear bar to a JPSS FE4 (wide) style. BMR offers the FE4 bars as SB033, but then you have to order Links for the front, and prob stock GM FE4 rear links as they are not a aftermarket part except with Detroit Speed who offers a Rear Kit Product Code: 042221 that includes the links. See old set-up and revised set-up pics here. In the 1st pic, note where the SB links mount inboard on the LCA for 2010/11, but with the BMR part note the vertical hole on the far LH side - that is where a "Wide" or FE4 Sway Link mounts. Hence the difference between the two yields much more leverage with the "Wide" Rear Sway set-up.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
Good approach. Plan, Plan, Plan, do it once correctly.
Some basic upgrade mods like Rear Cradle Bushings and Rear Arm bushings can address the worst aspect of these cars (wheel hop), but a balanced and more thorough approach delivers a killer handling car with a good ride and tolerable increased NVH.
The FE4 thing is just that the sway bar links mount outboard of the shock thus providing much more anti sway leverage and less stress on the LCA mount point. I think this became available in 2012 when the Rear LCA went to the FE4 option. Our stock 2010 Rear LCA Sway Bar Link Mounting provision is weak and known to rip apart when upgrading with a stiffer aftermarket Sway Bar. I initially went with the BMR SB030 sway bars, but changed out the rear bar to a JPSS FE4 (wide) style. BMR offers the FE4 bars as SB033, but then you have to order Links for the front, and prob stock GM FE4 rear links as they are not a aftermarket part except with Detroit Speed who offers a Rear Kit Product Code: 042221 that includes the links. See old set-up and revised set-up pics here. In the 1st pic, note where the SB links mount inboard on the LCA for 2010/11, but with the BMR part note the vertical hole on the far LH side - that is where a "Wide" or FE4 Sway Link mounts. Hence the difference between the two yields much more leverage with the "Wide" Rear Sway set-up.
Sounds like the fe4 system is definately the way to go. I will definately do some research on that and start making myself a parts list.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
Scooter18155

I am making my list looking at bmr site and found these rear coil over conversion plates. Sounds like a good idea to me. I know I’ll have to go to coil over shocks but I was already considering replacing them anyways. My question is I was intending on lowering my car with 1.4” springs would I need special springs designed to go along with the coil over? Or could I just buy bmr 1.4” lower springs and install those into coil over?
Attached Images