Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Drives: 2011 SS and 1988 Sport Coupe
Question about "OEM" 92230895 wheels

Apologies if this topic is worn-out or too similar to a bunch of other threads. I'm sure it has been asked before.

I'm looking toward getting a second set of wheels for my 2011 SS.

I intend to mount cold-weather tires on the second set of wheels. This will simplify the seasonal traction issues.

I currently have what I believe to be "OEM" wheels on the car (but I'm the third owner - so who knows really?).

I want to get a second set of OEM wheels - or at least a good-quality set of wheels that look just like OEM. I'm seeing mention of "genuine" OEM wheels at a very high price per wheel -- over $600 per wheel I just saw on eBay. Then I see sites that list the same part number - 92230895 - for less than half the money of the "genuine" wheels.

So, here is the question:
Is there any practical reason to buy the "genuine" version of the 92230895 wheel?

I use my Camaro as sort of a daily driver. It is not in pristine condition, and I'm not interested in maintaining its "originality" for the fourth owner. I want to drive the hell out of it until the wheels fall off. Will I regret buying a 92230895 pattern wheel that costs $250-$300 per wheel?

Experiences and opinions appreciated.

Last edited by W.E.G.; 12-12-2017 at 11:24 AM.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
The wheels that come on an SS will be different numbers for the front and the rear. Front are 20x8 and rears are 20x9. I am not familiar with the part numbers. You can find sets on here for good for good prices in the member classified section under wheel and tires. Are your wheels polished or midnight silver? If you post pictures they can be identified if stock or aftermarket.
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Drives: 2011 SS and 1988 Sport Coupe
Thanks for pointing-out the size difference front vs. back.

The front wheel in the pic below I believe is a replacement ("RECOND" I asssume means used, reconditioned - at $368 for a USED wheel!).

I bought the car from a dealer, and it had new Pirelli's on all four corners.
P-Zero on front
P-Zero NERO on rear. (I understand the NERO to be an "all-season" - but not a true "winter" tire.)

I think the dealer flipped sides on the two front wheels on the tire change.
The newer-looking wheel is now mounted on the LF.

It appears that the tire change happened at about the same time as the repair.
Pic shows wheel on LF, even though repair order shows it installed on RF.
The RF wheel looks a lot newer (shinier - less pitting and general damage) than the other three wheels.

No way to know for sure, but I creeped on the P.O. via google, and I'm suspecting the car was a repop from owner #2.

Anyhow, here's the evidence I found in the glove box when I bought the car, and the pics of the wheels.

Thanks a ton for any info or guidance you can offer.

W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
Scottiemac

These wheels are common and available. They look like polished finish. That style would have came on a 2011 SS. Polished or midnight silver finish depending on what it was ordered with. You can get these on here reasonable.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
Scottiemac

Looks like it hit something that damaged the wheel and suspension by that invoice. I hope it drives ok now.