Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #15
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Sorry OP, but I owned a 2003 Cobra from 2004-2011. I've had several badass cars since then. As far as car to car comparison excluding price, there is no comparison between a Terminator and a ZL1. The ZL1 is better in every single way.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #16
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
In fairness to the op, a 5 mile test drive of a new Z will not expose one to the "specialness" of the Z, especially with the salesman in the passenger seat. I don't know what the op was expecting, but the break in rules coupled with a salesman along for a 5 mile ride (he didn't even state if he got off the city streets...let alone the condition of the streets) dictate a tame and unpronounced ride. I would expect no more in a Z test ride with the dealership.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #17
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
Well said. You sound like a real car enthusiast. My only comment would be that the GT350 just short of being special, but the R version is a wonderful car to drive and probably the most rewarding at the wheel.

My Hellcat is rewarding at the throttle!

And the ZL1 and 1LE is the overall champ because it checks so many boxes as a sports car. I do wish it had another stock 50 HP, but that's just the kid in me talking.

R.
The hellcat is incredibly intriguing. Power and sound are tops ... and oddly enough, I can’t ignore the increased space in the back for my little ones car seat lol

Honesty, I’d probably look harder at the GT350R if ford dealers weren’t gouging the hell at of the prices (at least initially). 350s are starting to come down but I imagine the 500 will command even more of this behavior which will certainly spoil it for me. I’d like to wait and see what the mid engine Vette has in store, but I’m not sure I can go without a back seat
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #18
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I'm considering buying a ZL1, so I don't know why folks immediately went into "troll" mode. I'm not even considering a 2018 Stang.

The comment about "special" is totally subjective. I'm not sure why folks are picking up on the single negative in a largely positive post.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #19
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I was checking out GT350s a few months ago. The interior had a few "upscale" hints in it, but when I looked closer it was lacking a lot of the features and options associated with the 2SS/ZL-1 interiors. Suede panels and aluminum is nice, but so are some of the electronic and ergonomic options. For the price, the GT350 just didn't seem like a good buy comparatively, given what you get with the ZL-1.
Agreed GT350 is a special car because of that flat-plane crank. But around my area GT350 with ADM went upto 80k GT350R went for 100k almost. Not worth spending that much on a mustang when you can get a Z06 for that price.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #20
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
I'm considering buying a ZL1, so I don't know why folks immediately went into "troll" mode. I'm not even considering a 2018 Stang.

The comment about "special" is totally subjective. I'm not sure why folks are picking up on the single negative in a largely positive post.
Agree, the initial "troll" comment was a little harsh but let's be honest. You come into a ZL1 forum and declare that while you were genuinely impressed with a lot about the car in the end your main issue is that the car doesn't feel that "special".

Most everyone on this forum either owns a ZL1 or has put money down and waiting on the arrival of one.

How about I walk into your home tell you how much I like the layout and design of it but, I think your furniture is just plain and not up too par with the rest of your home.

You know out of the gate that you're going to invoke a response - likely that's what you were searching for. Ergo, the "troll" comment.

Additionally, and this why you got the response you did, you're not the first new poster to come into this forum and spout subjective disapproval. Those folks- not you (yet)- then spend some time trying to convince others that the car that we spent good money on is just not up to their standards. Granted, they throw a bone or two about how good the car is but they're just on the fence cause "it ain't good enough for me". Then comes the slinging of "fan boy" and "I'm a sports car enthusiast", "I'm not beholden to one manufacturer" tripe. All of which comes across as thinly veiled disdain for the car we chose.

Whether or not you deserve that criticism is yet to be revealed.

Frankly, If it don't feel special don't buy the car- you'll hate it, and I don't want to hear about your hate.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #21
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Not really. By most any measure, the Z is a phenomenal road and track car (oem), and can quickly be brought up to speed with a few mods as a drag car. At $70k (usually substantially less) that makes it a phenomenal bargain.

What is more "special" at that price point...or less?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #22
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Putting the shovel up. Back to lurk mode. You guys can continue to Troll yourselves.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #23
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Putting the shovel up. Back to lurk mode. You guys can continue to Troll yourselves.
That's a sure way to win a crowd over and continue meaningful discourse. Sounds like you always wanted to stick with a Sh&tstang anyway. JK!

Peace out.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #24
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
Agree, the initial "troll" comment was a little harsh but let's be honest. You come into a ZL1 forum and declare that while you were genuinely impressed with a lot about the car in the end your main issue is that the car doesn't feel that "special".

Most everyone on this forum either owns a ZL1 or has put money down and waiting on the arrival of one.

How about I walk into your home tell you how much I like the layout and design of it but, I think your furniture is just plain and not up too par with the rest of your home.

You know out of the gate that you're going to invoke a response - likely that's what you were searching for. Ergo, the "troll" comment.

Additionally, and this why you got the response you did, you're not the first new poster to come into this forum and spout subjective disapproval. Those folks- not you (yet)- then spend some time trying to convince others that the car that we spent good money on is just not up to their standards. Granted, they throw a bone or two about how good the car is but they're just on the fence cause "it ain't good enough for me". Then comes the slinging of "fan boy" and "I'm a sports car enthusiast", "I'm not beholden to one manufacturer" tripe. All of which comes across as thinly veiled disdain for the car we chose.

Whether or not you deserve that criticism is yet to be revealed.

Frankly, If it don't feel special don't buy the car- you'll hate it, and I don't want to hear about your hate.
Well said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #25
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
The hellcat is incredibly intriguing. Power and sound are tops ... and oddly enough, I can’t ignore the increased space in the back for my little ones car seat lol

Honesty, I’d probably look harder at the GT350R if ford dealers weren’t gouging the hell at of the prices (at least initially). 350s are starting to come down but I imagine the 500 will command even more of this behavior which will certainly spoil it for me. I’d like to wait and see what the mid engine Vette has in store, but I’m not sure I can go without a back seat

Forget the Hellcat is you want anything like a sports car. Though my big Charger handles well enough for some fun, a sports car it is NOT.

The Mustang and ZL1 are drastically different and true sports cars.

The areas where my Hellcat shine are long drives. It's amazing comfort for such a beast and I've had it to insane speeds. If the Millennium Falcon had wheels, it would be this car.

SRT knows how to market a car and Chevy does not. I attend car shows and no one (except enthusiasts) can recognize the awesome ZL1's for what they are. So if you like that aura of street credibility, even your lawyer's girlfriend has heard of the Hellcat. Our car won "best modern muscle" trophies 5 times. The owner of the ZL1 1Le took his car to two shows and it gets very little traffic.

Is that a bad thing? It depends on what you like. I've got a 13 year old son and going to the shows and talking cars is part of the fun. Naturally he loves getting the trophies and we also donate money, which is the main point. A ZL1 1LE is more of a car for ME and less so for my son.

But let's get back to driving. The ZL1 is a true sports car and the Hellcat is not. Get on a twisty road and very little else matters beyond the amazing handling of the ZL1...truly incredible given that it's not a small/light car.

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #26
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Okay. A few things that yell troll...........

Headline. ZL1 Impressions from a Ford Guy

Then............says he's not in the Market for a Mustang, yet is out test driving Zl1's.

Has a Cobra as his sig pic...........again trying to convince us he's not in the market for a mustang, yet is out looking at the Zl1.

Then says............car is uninspiring or whatever he said.

Makes zero sense to me honestly and we will all go back to trolling ourselves. It's what we do. Fkn with you mustang trolls kills time.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #27
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Quote:

LOL! I own a Hellcat and am looking at the ZL1 1LE as my next purchase.

I've owned everything from Evo X to M5's, but some of the forum folk here are SUPER sensitive and obviously have a lot of ego wrapped up in their cars and are hardcore fanboys.

Thus anything less than a cheerleading session becomes a "troll" who should be banned. But there are some real enthusiasts here. You'll just have to learn who they are.

I don't think your test drive was likely to give proper measure of the car. A test drive is not "driving." A friend of a friend worked things out and I got to try a ZL1 1LE on a mountain drive (for about 20 miles) at Angeles Crest. I can assure you that it's beyond special. I guess we could call the regular ZL1 "sensibly special!" LOL

Rob
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #28
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
LOL! I own a Hellcat and am looking at the ZL1 1LE as my next purchase.

I've owned everything from Evo X to M5's, but some of the forum folk here are SUPER sensitive and obviously have a lot of ego wrapped up in their cars and are hardcore fanboys.

Thus anything less than a cheerleading session becomes a "troll" who should be banned. But there are some real enthusiasts here. You'll just have to learn who they are.

I don't think your test drive was likely to give proper measure of the car. A test drive is not "driving." A friend of a friend worked things out and I got to try a ZL1 1LE on a mountain drive (for about 20 miles) at Angeles Crest. I can assure you that it's beyond special. I guess we could call the regular ZL1 "sensibly special!" LOL

Rob
i might go for a cruise in Angeles Crest now
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote