Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-10-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
Bottledbird68

Drives: 2011 2ss convertible, 68 firebird
Poly diff bushings, vibration?

So, was reading about poly diff bushings and sometimes people hear more noise. I don’t see anything about feeling more vibration. Is there more vibration feel in some cases or just gear noise?
Long story short, swapped out my 3.91 geared factory diff, axles, and driveshaft with a lingenfelter 9.5” rear, matching axles, and driveshaft. Car was smooth before. Now around 75ish on up I feel a slight vibration. If it’s just a poly diff bushing thing I’m fine with it. I don’t mind. I just want to make sure it’s not a bigger issue. Any input from guys who’ve run poly diff bushings before?
Bottledbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Yes poly bushings can contribute to vibrations.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I did poly bushing in the diff when I did the 4.10's. I didn't pick up any vibrations at all. I do appreciate a little more noise doing tight parking lot speed turns - you can hear the LSD clutches. I also get a little gear noise rolling through 40 to 50 mph under real light loads. But other than that it's silent, and no vibration. I would suspect the driveshaft, not the rear. That 9.5 inch should be fun to hammer on! What gear did you go with?
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Bottledbird68

Went with the 4.10’s. Im looking forward to being able to play with it now lol. I’m curious if it’s the driveshaft too or not.
Those that have experienced vibration how much was it? Car is pretty smooth down low. At 80 it kinda feels like a massage chair on low lol
Old 05-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-tuned View Post
Yes poly bushings can contribute to vibrations.
No they don't.

the situation is that when you replace a soft Rubber Bushing at your diff with a Harder Material (Poly - it has to be high durameter to last or Delrin), there is less deflection of Noise & Vibration that comes from the Diff. The Bushings do not contribute, they transmit the NVH.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Bottledbird68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
No they don't.

the situation is that when you replace a soft Rubber Bushing at your diff with a Harder Material (Poly - it has to be high durameter to last or Delrin), there is less deflection of Noise & Vibration that comes from the Diff. The Bushings do not contribute, they transmit the NVH.
Ok. So there’s a chance then that what I’m feeling is normal for poly diff bushings? If it is I’m cool with it. Just want to make sure I’m not damaging anything.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottledbird68 View Post
Ok. So there’s a chance then that what I’m feeling is normal for poly diff bushings? If it is I’m cool with it. Just want to make sure I’m not damaging anything.
You have a vibration from an out of balance component. Assuming it's the same tires and you didn't feel it before, it's probably the drive-train. The most likely component there is the driveshaft. The bushings don't cause it -it shouldn't vibrate. You notice it more because of the bushings, but they aren't at fault.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Quote:
No, what bmr is saying is the poly bushing itself does not vibrate but will transmit a vibration that the stock bushing might have absorbed and masked.
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #9
Bottledbird68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
No, what bmr is saying is the poly bushing itself does not vibrate but will transmit a vibration that the stock bushing might have absorbed and masked.
I get that. I suppose my question worded better is how much vibration do the stock bushings mask?
Old 05-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Quote:
I get that. I suppose my question worded better is how much vibration do the stock bushings mask?
There should not be any noticeable vibration. Most common would be wheels and tires out of balance. Next step would be get the car on a lift to pinpoint the issue. If the driveshaft is two piece check the carrier bearing, if its a one piece contact a local driveshaft shop for balancing
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
Bottledbird68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
There should not be any noticeable vibration. Most common would be wheels and tires out of balance. Next step would be get the car on a lift to pinpoint the issue. If the driveshaft is two piece check the carrier bearing, if its a one piece contact a local driveshaft shop for balancing
Well wheels are fine. They are the same ones as before and didn’t have any vibration. It is a two piece shaft. Carrier bearing looks mint. Double checked it before I put it in.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Op, get a good quality loud exhaust, the bushing noise will go away and all you will hear is the sweet sweet sound of unrestictive engine. Like me. 😊
PFADT stage 3 suspension kit, SW LTH, SW cat less retro exhaust, MGW short throw, 3.91 gears, MRR Z28 wheels, Roto Fab CAI, SLP underpully, 255cc ported heads, TSP 229/236 Cam, ZL1 pump, Street Slayer Twin Carbon clutch, ID850 injectors, Snow Stage III Meth kit
480whp/460wtq tuned by Dynosty
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #13
Bottledbird68

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
Op, get a good quality loud exhaust, the bushing noise will go away and all you will hear is the sweet sweet sound of unrestictive engine. Like me. ��
I already have long tubes, no cats, and a Mach solo exhaust. I can’t hear any noise at all lmao �� If all it was was noise I wouldn’t even care honestly.
However it feels like I installed a massage chair on low at 80mph+ After talking with DSS I think I’m going to be ordering a one piece aluminum shaft this week and see if that solves my issue.
The 6 week wait they quoted though for a custom shaft is going to be painful though. This setup is older so they don’t stock anything for it anymore...
Old 05-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
So, was reading about poly diff bushings and sometimes people hear more noise. I don’t see anything about feeling more vibration. Is there more vibration feel in some cases or just gear noise?
Long story short, swapped out my 3.91 geared factory diff, axles, and driveshaft with a lingenfelter 9.5” rear, matching axles, and driveshaft. Car was smooth before. Now around 75ish on up I feel a slight vibration. If it’s just a poly diff bushing thing I’m fine with it. I don’t mind. I just want to make sure it’s not a bigger issue. Any input from guys who’ve run poly diff bushings before?
If you decided to get a set let me know. I have a set of derlins I took out when I make some suspension charges.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote