Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
This would make a nasty F150 or Mustang engine if they make it in aluminum.

I'm not sure if Ford guys will like it though. They've spent the last 20 years saying DOHC>SOHC>pushrod.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #16
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirgiz View Post
Tell me please why nobody in car industry uses pushrod engines if they are superior?
They are manufacturing small displacement engines for countries that punish ownership of large displacement engines. Escalating purchase and registration taxes at 1.7 L, 2.0 L, 3.0 L, etc. ...escalating CO2 scale. Euro gasoline taxes the double the cost vs what US customers pay.

My annual registration for my 6.2 L Camaro SS is 75 USD. It had no gas guzzler tax. I pay 0.60 USD per liter. Euro pays more than double.

So to answer your question. Auto makers are building cars that are within the constraints set by global governments. Most Americans own similarly constructed passenger cars. Even my wife drives a 3.5 L DOHC.

of a 7.3 L push rod engine, Ford engine ...that would be awesome in a truck. Not so awesome in a Mustang (iron block) but who knows. ...Dodge does it in the Challenger.
Quote:
The displacement of the 7.3-liter will be familiar to Ford fans, but this one features a cam-in-block pushrod design that creates a more compact package than the last edition that’s still less complex than an overhead cam layout would be.

Ford expects it will be the most powerful gasoline engine in the class.
Largely, GM isn’t building the Camaro for markets outside North America. We are getting large displacement, torque rich engines in our trucks and cars.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #17
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
This would make a nasty F150 or Mustang engine if they make it in aluminum.

I'm not sure if Ford guys will like it though. They've spent the last 20 years saying DOHC>SOHC>pushrod.
Power made in an inch to inch conparison? Maybe they are.

But, that’s a whole nother can of worms when weight, sinplicity, and physical size is considered.

A 7.3 Mustang wohld have to be a super low volume offering with an aluminum block. Definitely not going to be in a base GT model (or any model if we are being honest)

Edit: Solid spelling on my part...
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #18
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
"...but won’t be revealing its specifications until closer to the truck’s on sale date this fall."

That's where I stopped reading.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #19
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Power made in an inch to inch conparison? Maybe they are.

But, that’s a whole nother can of worms when weight, sinplicity, and physical size is considered.

A 7.3 Mustang wohld have to be a super low volume offering with an aluminum block. Definitely not going to be in a base GT model (or any model if we are being honest)

Edit: Solid spelling on my part...
I would be shocked to see this engine in a GT for sure. I'm kinda surprised they are making it at all. Ford was seemingly hell-bent on DOHC, lower displacement, FI engines and diesels. Unless they know something we dont.... (426 going in gen 2 Challenger? 427 going in gen 7 Camaro?)
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #20
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Tell me please why nobody in car industry uses pushrod engines if they are superior?
Because government regulations force manufactures to comply with heavy restrictions and regulations.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #21
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Many countries tax on engine size, so for one thing taxes. Japan also has strict smog laws and most cars are scrapped at 60k mile sub 10 years, so longevity and rebuilds are not an issue. Many ohc engines have chainguide issues as well as a non rebuildsble block... check on the price of a Toyota v8 pickup price with high miles vs a 1500 hemi ....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #22
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
While cool

1. I doubt it ever finds its way into anything else other than trucks,

2. I don't get it, If I am getting a heavy duty truck and springing for an optional engine I am getting the diesel
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #23
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Never say never as the Mustang could get this engine would depend on the bean counters, and management if they wanted to have some limited production hypo engine 500KR or something like that, before government steps in like they did back in the 70's.

Dodge Challenger will be getting the 426 not sure if just the SC engine or both SC and normally aspirated, but the 900 plus HP SC 426 is coming unless FCA change their mind at the last min.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #24
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
While cool

1. I doubt it ever finds its way into anything else other than trucks, I Think it will

2. I don't get it, If I am getting a heavy duty truck and springing for an optional engine I am getting the diesel
Some people will option a truck out with the gas engine don't kid yourself, the guys that want a truck that will not tow that often and are not into diesel.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #25
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
428 Cobra Jet Mustang sounds rather interesting.... even with an iron block
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #26
lightsOUT

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
While cool

1. I doubt it ever finds its way into anything else other than trucks,

With the 10k+ diesel upcharge and $500 oil changes (I’m some cases) from the dealership, more expensive fuel and the requirement to buy DEF, the market has changed. I have been owning and driving diesel trucks since 1999 and I took delivery of my 8th diesel truck the day after Thanksgiving 2018 and it’s getting almost impossible to keep justifying it. I don’t even own a trailer anymore. I only buy diesel cause it’s what I’m used to douing, but at 75k I think I can get used to something else. The gap has closed for the average user. Even fleets are considering the benefits, which is exactly what market this engine is trying to fill. The large construction companies I work for would almost exclusively use diesel for a long long time. Diesel was cheap, the engines were reliable and the vehicles were cheap. That’s not the case anymore. The gas engines are more powerful, longer lasting and are getting better mileage than ever before.
lightsOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #27
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Well if Ford says it will fit in a Mustang that tells you something.
An aluminum blocked mild 7.3L putting out 500 ish in a Mustang would be pretty cool.

Recall that back when the LT4 came out GM said that they couldn't develop a successor to the LS7 due to emissions. I guess Ford did (ok albeit with less power). They deserve some credit. FE LSX!
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #28
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsOUT View Post
With the 10k+ diesel upcharge and $500 oil changes (I’m some cases) from the dealership, more expensive fuel and the requirement to buy DEF, the market has changed. I have been owning and driving diesel trucks since 1999 and I took delivery of my 8th diesel truck the day after Thanksgiving 2018 and it’s getting almost impossible to keep justifying it. I don’t even own a trailer anymore. I only buy diesel cause it’s what I’m used to douing, but at 75k I think I can get used to something else. The gap has closed for the average user. Even fleets are considering the benefits, which is exactly what market this engine is trying to fill. The large construction companies I work for would almost exclusively use diesel for a long long time. Diesel was cheap, the engines were reliable and the vehicles were cheap. That’s not the case anymore. The gas engines are more powerful, longer lasting and are getting better mileage than ever before.
And there's a pretty damn good answer I didn't consider lol. I guess I just looked at it like, you are buying a heavy duty truck, and your opting for a better performing engine obviously you have some serious truck stuff to do. But the points you laid out make a lot of sense
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote