Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Strange Tire Wear

It's been a while since I've been on here but I'd like some input on this strange tire wear.

This is the third set of these tires I've had on this car. I just crested 78,000 miles on her and I know it's time for some major maintenance to happen.

This car has always worn tires a little strange but this set has taken the cake.

I put the level across the tires only as a straight line reference.

Also, I don't have the tires lined up like they would be on the car. So the tread direction doesn't line up with the position they were on the car. I mark them as I take them off the car and took the pictures after cleaning the wheels. That's how I keep track of where they came from.

I daily this car. 15 miles each way to work and back. I live in Austin, TX so it gets hot. Mostly toll road, 80 - 90 MPH for most of the ride. These tires have ZERO track days on them.

What do y'all think is the issue? I've had the alignment check and they say it's all good.

Starting with the Driver's Side Front:

Driver's Side Rear:

Passenger Side Front: There's 3 pictures of this tire. Each spot where the cord is showing appears to be its own little flat. Very strange.

Passenger Side Rear:
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
DjBeToV

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE SW
Looks like camber may be slightly off on the right-front. You'll naturally see feathering on the front due to turning and not being able to rotate the tires. But, since the left-front is not as severe, I'd blame camber.

Kudos on running them so long, I try to do the same, ~20k miles on mine as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I'd have someone drive next to you and watch each corner closely as you hit bumps at speed. That patchy flat spotting look can be "cupping" from a bad shock. Jounce test each corner, and make sure no shock/strut is leaking.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Did i mention before, all of those flat spots are on the inside of the tire?
Old 11-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
DarkMaro1le

Drives: Chevy Camaro ss 1le
Definitely an alignment problem, Camber and toe most likely. Did you get a print out from when they checked it? The center tire being worn down like that is from over inflation.
From the flat spots i agree to have the shocks checked out jounce test or look to see if they are leaking at all. Also check the front end is tight.
DarkMaro1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaro1le View Post
Definitely an alignment problem, Camber and toe most likely. Did you get a print out from when they checked it? The center tire being worn down like that is from over inflation.
From the flat spots i agree to have the shocks checked out jounce test or look to see if they are leaking at all. Also check the front end is tight.
I did get a print out but I'll have to dig it out of my file cabinet.

I can guarantee there's no over inflation going on here. I don't think someone can be more annul retentive about their tire pressures than I am. The tire pressure readout is my default screen in the car and I bought a digital racing tire pressure gauge to manually keep an eye on things.

If I didn't know for a fact the pressure is tracked as closely as I keep it I would've said the same thing you said.

That being said, this is all kinds of wrong.

Moving on to a better question....

What struts are people going with as a stock replacements or mild upgrades?
I've got 78k miles on her and it's feeling like it.
I'm about to order all new struts and polyurethane sub-frame bushings.
I've already got the center section bushings and I'll do all of this stuff at the same time.
Not looking to break the bank on this maintenance.
I am happy with the car as it was stock. Just wouldn't mind doing a little bit of an upgrade while I'm in there as long as it doesn't break the bank.
Is there a poly kit to replace all the control arm bushings out there?

Thanks,
Old 11-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I'll get back to ya on maybe tomorrow. Kinda busy with work. But I did see your thread a few days ago.
Talk to you soon
Chad
Old 11-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
I'll get back to ya on maybe tomorrow. Kinda busy with work. But I did see your thread a few days ago.
Talk to you soon
Chad
Cool. Looking forward to it.